S&P Global Market Intelligence Reviews | Glassdoor

S&P Global Market Intelligence Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great management, great team, benefits are top notch, work life balance is the best I have ever seen (in 175 reviews)

• Casual work environment, yet people are serious about their jobs (in 66 reviews)

Cons

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonably good pay. Reasonably good benefits. Mostly good work/life balance. Some very smart people there. facilities are generally good, at least in the US. The company has recovered well from the 2008 situation.

Cons

Lots of churn. Not sure the long-term vision is solid. Upper management seems to manage to the quarterly report more than most companies.

Advice to Management

There's a feeling of instability among the rank and file. While keeping headcount down is good for the bottom line in the near term, getting too low has a negative impact.

2. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible work environment, great people

Cons

shift in culture from entrepreneurial to more corporate

"No one is looking at the iceburg ahead"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on the team you're on, there's a lot of freedom within your job. The place has good middle management that wants to fight for you but is holding a water gun in a real war. However, it can be hit or miss whether you're micromanaged to given full autonomy.

Cons

New leadership is rigid, stuck in their old ways, and has not demonstrated the capacity to understand running SPGMI is much different from content-oriented SNL. It's too bad the CEO is obsessed with margin improvement rather than building real world class offerings. Products are broken, but management is too focused on KPI and ROI that they don't bother looking under the hood to see it's just duct tape and bubble gum keeping the ship afloat. TR and FDS are primed to leap ahead of the business not reliant on the CUSIP and Ratings monopolies.

Advice to Management

Learn what talent retention means. Your best talent is leaving or wants to leave badly while the overpaid contributing next to nothing are protected by senior managers in an environment that resembles a Hollywood high school movie. Anyone can box subpar products and slap a guarantee on it. Just ask Tommy Boy. Some of you also have a thing or two to learn about professionalism.

5. "IT Manager"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence (More than 3 years)

Pros

Larger company with many opportunities

Cons

No negatives to report on this company

6. "Currently undergoing a lot of change, but things are about to get REALLY interesting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

S&P Global Market Intelligence is a combination of both Capital IQ and SNL Financial. It's currently undergoing a large integration project, details of which are publicly disclosed in S&P Global's SEC filings. Having said that, what I will say is once the integration is complete this firm is going to launch a series of products the market has never seen before. With macro trends favoring SPGMI (migration away from expensive single license seats from Bloomberg/Eikon/FactSet, etc..., reduction in financial information spend since sell side is shrinking, difficulty generating alpha in buy side) this is clearly the financial information company to be part of for the next 3-5 years.

The management team is almost entirely from SNL Financial, who built an incredibly profitable, resilient business by aggregating publicly available data better and faster than much larger competitors. I am incredibly impressed by their drive, open communication and commitment to accountability. Competitors should be very concerned.....

Cons

My only concern would be the sheer amount of change the firm is undergoing to get the entire division aligned to common goals and a singular purpose. Sales/Product/Content/Development all have multiple projects underway. Change can be tough, distracting and a burden depending on how it's implemented, but clearly this team has decided to get it done and over with as quickly as possible.

Advice to Management

Be cognizant that this is a bigger company now, what worked in Charlottesville might not work in NYC/London/Hong Kong. Think big, monitor metrics but don't get consumed by them and focus on hiring the best people possible.

"Product Consultant review"

Former Employee - Product Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

- Young, energetic and social team of 20-30 product consultants.
    - Great views of the city from 49th floor (NY office)
    - Company invests a lot of time and money into training.
    - Pay for me was good ($55k)
    - Weekend and overtime shifts available
    - Great Hours, 9-5.

Cons

- Your performance is very subjective; Its ultimately your managers opinion of your call, or the opinion of a senior product consultant. Often, your performance is a result of how popular you are with everyone.
    - Management under appreciates its team. Often the opinions of the team is ignored.
    - You are often underappreciated by both the clients, and management.
    - Training only prepares you for 60% of the questions asked. The other times, you are often winging it, and this gets stressful when you are taking 3 chats at once and are stuck on one of the clients questions.
    - Your every client interaction is being watched and listened to and judged. Management can pick out the tiniest imperfection and use that to justify firing you.
    - Management terminates employees often very spontaneously. Often times its very 2 faced. they will sit and laugh with you at lunch and talk about personal lives one hour, and fire you the next.
    - The team gossips on a day to day basis about each other. Its almost like college all over.

Advice to Management

Show more compassion to your employees. Come up with a better way to measure performance; a way that's not subjective. Come up with a standard way to deal with situations.

"Just run....."

Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Director in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. A lot of working from home flexibility. Good brand name. I loved my coworkers when I was there.

Cons

The company is on a downward spiral. After a series of poor historical acquisitions (literally bought and dissolved companies) the parent company overspends on the SNL acquisition and even though every acquisition crapped out historically ...THIS time they decide to fire all senior leadership and replace the president (for the 3rd time in 3 years) with a leader with no global understanding and who lacks any understanding of how to manage a product that actually has competition. Everyone is in constant fear for their jobs and catty as all hell trying to point fingers in order to keep them.

Advice to Management

I wish there was something at this point that could be done, but the constant reorging and lack of stability are irreconcilable.

"Advisor/Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence (More than a year)

Pros

Some pros about the job include: Can work from home, young professionals, Richmond and Charlottesville location, agile shop, and small teams.

Cons

Some cons about the job include: No management support, no teamwork, no career development opportunities, cutthroat environment, and extensive restructuring due to acquisition with McGraw Hill Financial.

Advice to Management

Some advice to management would include - Management needs to take training classes to understand how to manage employees and help with career development.

"Bureaucratic Hell"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dress code was lax, location is great, some of the teams seemed to have a great sense of community.

Cons

TL;DR- Performance reviews, bonuses, and overall quality of work are blatantly in favor of legacy employees-- regardless of the efforts and the contributions brought on by anyone that is newer to the company.

Yikes. Where to begin...
    I was put on the mapping team that mainly consisted of legacy members. I applied for a "Test Engineer II" position and was offered a position as "Test Engineer I" with an on-boarding plan involving me moving up to the next level in a given timeline, which I reluctantly accepted.

After the first few months, I found myself trapped in a stagnant state of under-compelling work that left me feeling anything but motivated. I made several attempts to approach my manager during this time asking if there was anything I could do such as acquiring certifications or external work to ensure I could stay on track with the original plan. This was constantly swept under the rug and ignored.

During the first round of performance reviews, I was falsely accused of not performing a full 40 hours of work during certain weeks of the year. The accusations were brought on by another tester on the mapping team that I suspect was threatened by my presence. I had no choice at this point to bring HR into the picture while meeting with my manager to clear my name. After enough long-winded meetings, my manager finally admitted on the record that these allegations had no proof or evidence, and that I was not fudging hours on my timesheet. Shortly after these incidents, I received a poor performance review. When approaching my manager about it, all he claimed was that it was as result of a "Stack Ranking" system which made him feel "forced" into giving me this inaccurate and poor rating.

Although I remained miserable for the next few following months, I gave one last attempt to bring up my concerns to my manager. I informed him that I felt more rewarded for silence than with engaging my ideas with my team. I told him how unhappy I was and how unfairly I thought I was being treated. His reaction to this was to tell me that it was probably the "Right approach" to stay quiet and under the radar and perhaps I would eventually feel better after enough time. Needless to say, I started applying for another job immediately following that meeting.

To shed some light on my qualifications and work ethic, I'm now employed at a much better place where I feel engaged, challenged, and rewarded for my work. I've gotten a tremendous amount of positive feedback from my team here, and received a raise after my first few months at the company. I'm not just some angry clock watching worker-bee trying to put in a bad rep of S&P Global for the sake of it. I was legitimately miserable, bored, and mistreated my entire time there.

Advice to Management

As an educated female millennial, I felt that this was the most unwelcoming environment imaginable for young and passionate talent. I would have appreciated management giving me an unbiased and sincere attitude when approaching them about my concerns and unhappiness. It was clear my manager only cared about particular team members that had been around longer solely because he based an employees value on their collected knowledge of the team and product.

Also-- good luck with the next sucker you throw on the mapping team.

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Senior Market Data Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Market Data Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence (More than a year)

Pros

good work life balance
    no work pressure

Cons

work culture requires improvement
    leave issues even if there is no much work.
    lack of training for employees.
    lack of trust between levels.

Advice to Management

pls invest in employee development and training, work culture needs a lot of improvement.