S&P Global Market Intelligence Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Chinn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance in the company

Cons

don't have for this moment

"Weak Leadership , Negative Outlook"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Very flexible and team-centric company

Cons

Very few leaders who actually are technically skilled and are good implementers
    Upper management is very poor at planning and strategizing
    Business commitments always take precedence over technological advancement
    No retention and recognition for top talent

Advice to Management

Acquiring and retaining top talent in all locations
    Give engineers the tools and accountability as well as remove the restrictions
    Good engineers do not need guidelines and procedures to get the job done
    Planning of company wide milestones needs the involvement of all stakeholders else you will end up with unrealistic timelines

"So so"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Less pressure, free fruits, pool ball, ping pang and Xbox. Good work place, free coffee. In walls street. To 20 words.

Cons

Legacy tools, strictly policy. Office politics, annoying performance review, changing CTO/CEO too frequency. Low pay to new hire compares to nearby companies.

"Bureaucratic Hell"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dress code was lax, location is great, some of the teams seemed to have a great sense of community.

Cons

TL;DR- Performance reviews, bonuses, and overall quality of work are blatantly in favor of legacy employees-- regardless of the efforts and the contributions brought on by anyone that is newer to the company.

Yikes. Where to begin...
    I was put on the mapping team that mainly consisted of legacy members. I applied for a "Test Engineer II" position and was offered a position as "Test Engineer I" with an on-boarding plan involving me moving up to the next level in a given timeline, which I reluctantly accepted.

After the first few months, I found myself trapped in a stagnant state of under-compelling work that left me feeling anything but motivated. I made several attempts to approach my manager during this time asking if there was anything I could do such as acquiring certifications or external work to ensure I could stay on track with the original plan. This was constantly swept under the rug and ignored.

During the first round of performance reviews, I was falsely accused of not performing a full 40 hours of work during certain weeks of the year. The accusations were brought on by another tester on the mapping team that I suspect was threatened by my presence. I had no choice at this point to bring HR into the picture while meeting with my manager to clear my name. After enough long-winded meetings, my manager finally admitted on the record that these allegations had no proof or evidence, and that I was not fudging hours on my timesheet. Shortly after these incidents, I received a poor performance review. When approaching my manager about it, all he claimed was that it was as result of a "Stack Ranking" system which made him feel "forced" into giving me this inaccurate and poor rating.

Although I remained miserable for the next few following months, I gave one last attempt to bring up my concerns to my manager. I informed him that I felt more rewarded for silence than with engaging my ideas with my team. I told him how unhappy I was and how unfairly I thought I was being treated. His reaction to this was to tell me that it was probably the "Right approach" to stay quiet and under the radar and perhaps I would eventually feel better after enough time. Needless to say, I started applying for another job immediately following that meeting.

To shed some light on my qualifications and work ethic, I'm now employed at a much better place where I feel engaged, challenged, and rewarded for my work. I've gotten a tremendous amount of positive feedback from my team here, and received a raise after my first few months at the company. I'm not just some angry clock watching worker-bee trying to put in a bad rep of S&P Global for the sake of it. I was legitimately miserable, bored, and mistreated my entire time there.

Advice to Management

As an educated female millennial, I felt that this was the most unwelcoming environment imaginable for young and passionate talent. I would have appreciated management giving me an unbiased and sincere attitude when approaching them about my concerns and unhappiness. It was clear my manager only cared about particular team members that had been around longer solely because he based an employees value on their collected knowledge of the team and product.

Also-- good luck with the next sucker you throw on the mapping team.

5. "Software Engineer Intern"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern

Pros

free fruit, coffee, ping-pong, flexible work time, and nice working culture

Cons

No sponsorship, no free food, management level people are too old and serious..

6. "Software engineer intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Elizabeth, NJ
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Elizabeth, NJ

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

nice intern program working with cutting edge technology

Cons

NYC with high rent pay

7. "Not Bad"

Current Intern - IT Software Engineering in New York, NY
    Current Intern - IT Software Engineering in New York, NY

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful People, very diverse, and unparalleled work-life balance.

Cons

A lot of things in upper management seem wishy-washy and/or not communicated well to the interns and entry-level employees

Advice to Management

More transparency to entry-level employees.

8. "Good place to start, not necessarily to stay"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in New York, NY

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, decent pay and benefits, some interesting projects. Good place to start a career

Cons

Not very new technologies, lack of or unclear career paths, lots of changes in upper management

Advice to Management

Stop being hypocritical - lots of buzzwords that sound like major changes, but resistant to any actual progress

"Not bad but not great"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office and coworkers are all very fun. Team outings, loose atmosphere, work is fun too.

Cons

Pay is very meh and the fact that Cap IQ is attached to the McGraw-Hill parent company isn't great. A lot of cheesy corporate events and what have you that aren't anything but torturous.

Advice to Management

Try paying more if you want to retain a higher percent of employees. Also, tell the higher ups that day-long "leadership training" events are incredibly dull

10. "Lead software engineer"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

Work life balance is good, flexibility in dress code, time etc

Cons

things are keep changing in management side

Advice to Management

Needs to maintain stability in terms of products and employee count