S&P Global Market Intelligence "snl" Reviews | Glassdoor

S&P Global Market Intelligence Employee Reviews about "snl"

Updated Aug 9, 2019

3.6
S&P Global Market Intelligence CEO Martina Cheung (no image)
Martina Cheung
Pros
Cons
  • "No growth, night shifts for no reason(in 56 reviews)

• "People from SNL side are harassing CIQ folks like anything(in 40 reviews)

Reviews about "snl"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Director"

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

Teamwork, work/life balance, culture and work environment, the people

Cons

Too much red tape and difficult to get logical changes pushed through HR/compensation after S&P/McGraw Hill acquired SNL Financial.

S&P Global Market Intelligence2018-10-10

"Run away from this place!"

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, S&P is a great company, but not SNL!

Cons

Poor management, it’s getting worse and worse since 2017. This is not S&P, it is SNL! Micro Management.

Advice to Management

Need to bring back S&P culture and soul! People should come first, then numbers.

S&P Global Market Intelligence2019-08-10

"No Longer the S&P you used to know!! Culture has been ruined!!"

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

S&P offers great benefit with great 401k match, and PTO

Cons

S&P was a great company to work when I first started, but since the merge with SNL started in 2017 and company culture is ruined!! Job security is no longer there and manny positions has been sent to India and Pakistan!!

Advice to Management

Please give back to great culture the company used to have! Try to keep the talents! There is always good employees under a strong leader, not the leaders with no trust nor support! If numbers means everything, there will be no emotions or feelings involved, we are not machines. Number can’t catch the effort an employee has put in. Micro management is not a good way to lead a group of a good employees. If you can’t... be a good leader, you can turn a good employee into a bad employee. Appreciating and respect is the least you can provide as a leader, but right now the basic common sense is missing! You will only lose more talent down the road! Please bring the good leaders back!!!!

S&P Global Market Intelligence2019-08-10

"Yikes!"

Former Employee - Reporter in Arlington, VA

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most reporter positions are hourly nonexempt, so they can only make you work 40 hours a week until they need to pay overtime. Lots of people worked off the clock to meet quotas even though they were told not to. Benefits are pretty good for industry standard, although pay lags. I've heard other parts of the company aren't bad if you're looking to coast.

Cons

They rate your articles, which is pretty much the entirety of your performance review. This is incredibly bizarre! It promotes mediocre or worse journalism because everyone is just trying to meet quotas and you can't have a real back and forth with your editor without worrying it's going in your rating. They tend to hire right out of school because the "newsroom culture is so different and it's easier to train... people in it than re-train more experienced journalists." Translation: We don't produce news, we want you to write analyst reports for a cheaper salary than we can pay our analysts, and it's easier to get away with when we don't hire fully trained journalists. The newsroom is mostly run by people who worked at SNL (a company S&P bought that did analysis type work). These people have never broken a story, written an investigative article or maintained a source relationship in their lives. It shows. It shows a lot. There was a joke of an "investigative project" which is essentially rehashing what other outlets have done and they continue to throw money at subpar work while pushing out people who are trying to create meaningful content. This has been going on for more than a year. Even at journalism conferences people are confused that S&P has a newsroom. It's been literal years since it launched, but no one outside of an incredibly select few have ever produced something worthwhile, so it continues to go unknown while much newer newsrooms have steadily built readership. On some teams, it's not uncommon for articles to get 10 or so views. Mostly, your butt will sit at a desk and rewrite press releases for 8 hours a day. The rest of the time, you'll string together three analyst interviews to write a quick hot-take. That, apparently, qualifies as an "exclusive."

Advice to Management

If you're not going to invest in news or create a real news product, don't pretend.

S&P Global Market Intelligence2019-07-03

"Ruined My Career , I should rate negative infinite"

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

No Pros. SNL aka SPGMI management should be added as a case study in MBA class on " How to Ruin a company" " How to demolish the Morale of workers"

Cons

This is not S&P , this is a small company called SNL that over shadowed S&P. Highly political. No Vision. Low Pay. terrible pay when compared to Market. Constant change in management. Are there any jobs in New York City ? What Charlottesville & Islamabad this is not a wall street company. The greatest decision I ever made in my life was to leave S&P

Advice to Management

No Advice to management. Because they won't listen . Good luck this so called S&P ship is going to drown under holy SNL Management.. Your management should be added as a case study in MBA class on How to Ruin a company

S&P Global Market Intelligence2018-12-27

"If your not on the Index or Ratings side......RUN !"

Former Employee - Data in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wealth of talent and smart co-workers. NYC office is a nice building and location if you like to work downtown. If you’re a newbie out of school, go for it. You’ll learn a lot.

Cons

Pay, bonus and benefits are below par against competitors. Culture went straight down hill after SNL takeover. The rocket scientists on SPGI board decided to spend 9.5 of annual earnings for SNL - $2.2 BILLION for a company that generates less than $300 million a year. The justification was that SP Global was buying management. So in order to justify their millions in gains from the buyout - and yes, all Senior... SNL folks pocketed millions from the buyout, out came the axe. I know for certain that these folks have been sued for unlawful termination. I still talk to old timers that haven’t gotten pushed out that the culture is now one of fear and paranoia. Who’s going to get escorted out of the building next? Who’s going to be put on a performance improvement plan next? With unreachable goals after having sterling reviews for years? Just so you can be let go and not get paid severance? If you’re a newbie, go for it. No positions are getting posted in NYC anymore. Only in Charlottesville where you have to be like everyone else and wear plaid shirts and drink Makers Mark at company events. Nothing like millennials taking over! If your role can be done in India or Pakistan, eventually your role is moving to one.

Advice to Management

SNL folks you were small time before and you’re still small time with much bigger boots. Eventually you’re going to drown.

S&P Global Market Intelligence2018-08-13

"S&P is no longer S&P"

Former Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

S&P for many, many years was a great employer with a multitude of reasons to work there. The work was engaging. The benefits were generous. And there was real quality of life at the company. Once the leadership from SNL was put in charge, all of that came crashing down.

Cons

Diminishing benefits, Verbal Abuse, Age discrimination, Out-sourcing all jobs. SNL has turned this company into the lowest level of a work environment. Employee perks disappeared quickly. It's a bring your own office supplies environment, which I find unconscionable. I was in a hiring manager presentation that told us to ask whatever we want to identify the highest performers, but make sure to shred anything... written so the Mike Chinn doesn't get sued. I also witnessed and tried to stop male employees getting grossly larger raises and bonuses than more talented female colleagues. It's a bro atmosphere on every level. In fact, if you check the states, there are very few women in real positions of influence at the company. This was acknowledged and bandied about in multiple meetings. S&P is now SNL in disguise and has adopted their well-known persona of acting like a sweat shop. You can't imagine what a fall it's been from being a quality employer to one that forces out long-term employees to hire younger cheaper ones. Their claim of pay-for-performance is code for mandated bad reviews, unwarranted performance improvement plans, and an all-around demeaning of the people that work there. It's both sad and.... criminal.

Advice to Management

I've got about nothing here. Management isn't listening. Good people are losing their careers. The products are secretly failing with the transition to all out-sourced IT teams. Nothing good.

S&P Global Market Intelligence2018-05-31

"Chaotic and Rudderless"

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

Had a good set of employees one could work with. Had a human touch Flexible WFH policy

Cons

A merry go round of CEOs/CTOs/C-level execs led to the Hail Mary pass in which SNL was acquired to revitalize the Cap IQ part of the company. What resulted was a complete takeover of Cap IQ by SNL management who found NYC area employees expendable because of "high costs" and preferred hiring in Charlottesville, India and Pakistan. To save on severance, the new management was ruthless in handing out Performance... Improvement Plans to employees who had great reviews consistently in the previous years. HR was a willing partner in the whole charade. SNL takeover has led to a continuous outflow of experienced, talented employees who see the writing on the wall. Some have moved over to the Ratings side but it seems this story will soon play out in Ratings as well with the appointment of an old SNL hand as CTO of Ratings and the blood letting may start soon. The new management has failed to create a culture of trust and open communication despite their high sounding talk.

Advice to Management

Work to fix the culture of distrust and divisiveness that you have created.

S&P Global Market Intelligence2018-03-17

"Senior Engineer"

I have been working at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time

Pros

Until the SNL clown show is purged there isn't anything positive to say about this work place.

Cons

SNL clown show raises the toxicity level to work at this organization.

S&P Global Market Intelligence2018-02-26

"Bloodbath continues"

Former Employee - Sr. Network Engineer in Hightstown, NJ

I worked at S&P Global Market Intelligence full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Use to be a great place to work. Use to be surrounded by great people. Use to be treated fairly and with respect. I was smart enough to bail out last year.

Cons

SNL taking over the entire corporation after being acquired in a horrific deal in which S&P overpaid for the mom and pop shop over two years ago has killed what once was a great company. Their complete disregard for anybody and anything that doesn't live and breathe in the hotbed of the financial world Charlottesville VA is disgusting. They have successfully hijacked every facet of the entire S&P landscape. Chinn... having made Doug Peterson his puppet. Five different Corp CIO's in the last five years. One failed product after another. Another few hundred layoffs now in progress, thankfully and miraculously all in VA have been spared. When one outsourcing deal fails try another and even cheaper alternative. The true definition of insanity. It's a sad time to see this clown show playout.

Advice to Management

Do the company and it's shareholders a favor and exit the building immediately and don't look back before the only thing left is your oversized and undeserved compensation packages.

S&P Global Market Intelligence2018-02-06