S&P Global Platts "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

S&P Global Platts Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Jan 21, 2019

3.4
S&P Global Platts President Martin Fraenkel (no image)
Martin Fraenkel
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours as others said also contribute to bring out the worst in co-workers(in 8 reviews)

• "Completely zero work-life balance(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews

"Journalism of sorts"

Current Employee - Associate Editor in Houston, TX

I have been working at S&P Global Platts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment and work life balance. Unbelievable benefits compared to journalism.

Cons

Very niche writing that doesn't translate well to other fields. Lots of math required.

S&P Global Platts2019-01-21

"Lot of Opportunity to make an Impact"

Senior Marketing Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at S&P Global Platts for more than 5 years

Pros

Platts has some outstanding people working for them and I really enjoyed learning and growing professionally over the 5 years I worked there. There is a lot of positive change occurring within the marketing group. If you like fast paced working environment, international travel and fun smart people then this is the company for you. Really good benefits, very flexible work from home policy, nice vacation package. I was not looking to leave, I got headhunted out:) Love my new job but still miss my team.

Cons

Systems are a bit dated and not all connected but management is working on improving this. For some constant organizational change is not good.

S&P Global Platts2016-09-08

"Great culture, except a few bad eggs"

I worked at S&P Global Platts full-time

Pros

Upper management is very involved in creating a better culture Fun work environment

Cons

The mid-level managers were either way too hands off or way too hands on-- there didn't seem to be any happy medium. I was forced to work with people who still didn't know how to do their jobs after 2 years of being there and it made it really tough for everyone else to perform. Then I had to work with people who worked for micromanagers, so they were too timid and scared to do anything.

S&P Global Platts2015-05-18

"I was a reporter."

I worked at S&P Global Platts full-time

Pros

Platts provided a friendly, casual work environment where you could surround yourself with intellectual challenges fostered by a collaborative culture. The staff comprised some of the best in the field, and the company provided ample room to grow.

Cons

The biggest downside was a bureaucratic culture that came with the territory of being part of a large multinational conglomerate. That amplified everyday frustrations such as dealing with HR or tech support to a degree those accustomed to smaller companies might find offputting.

S&P Global Platts2015-04-24
  5. "Business Analyst"

I worked at S&P Global Platts full-time

Pros

Nice working environment: people are rather chilled, less stress and pressure than in traditional financial companies. The office was refurbished so we had access to top facilities.

Cons

The size of the organization, the fact that is is global and that you need to deal with all continents to get something done can be frustrating. But any global company would suffer the same issue.

S&P Global Platts2018-05-30

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at S&P Global Platts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company has strong market position, huge potential to develop in other areas too. Great work life balance! Company reorganizing with positive hopes to make healthy work environment and develop new business areas.

Cons

Highly political environment! No clear transparency on management strategy. There is a old line of management used to old fashioned business methods that in my opinion encourage certain behaviours and that is hurting the company. Some people are very laid back, reactive rather than proactive. Today, its more of a blaming culture, people act on feelings rather than logic and what is good for the firm.

S&P Global Platts2018-06-04

"Operationally suspect, nice enough people."

I have been working at S&P Global Platts full-time

Pros

Pleasant working environment, occasionally interesting work, nice and reasonably bright people, rare to see confrontational behaviour. Platts benchmark prices are a product which is tightly integrated with many customers and so hard to dislodge which means Platts can make money easily without doing much (if this is a pro). Good on diversity and worklife balance compared with their customers. As a stepping stone to a job at a customer it may well serve OK.

Cons

operationally poor with little management control or oversight over day to day work or projects. Poor performance culture. Relatively political (ie self serving) behaviours from managers for what is not a large company (2000 staff). Reviled by some of its customers. Hampered by its excess of cash from Benchmark Prices inasmuch as staff can be pretty useless or ineffective and still get by adequately. Senior leadership are all SMEs and/or salespeople but almost all poor managers and leaders, much happier when commenting on industry trends than on profits and costs. Vendors and business partners almost entirely hate working with Platts due to lack of performance, slow decision-making and some unmerited corporate arrogance. Don't stay for too long here: you will become lazy and unhireable by more demanding companies. This may sound like the kind of comments dished out to all corporates but on a relative basis, Platts is far worse than most others, despite not being that big

S&P Global Platts2017-12-28

"Wouldn't recommend if you are ambitious and want a career"

Current Employee - Sales in Singapore

I have been working at S&P Global Platts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, extremely flexible, relaxing work environment. Can start at 10am and go for 2 hour lunch break no questions asked. Place to retire or for employees with young families.

Cons

Low career progression, low pay, people are not very ambitious

S&P Global Platts2015-05-14

"Steep learning curve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I have been working at S&P Global Platts full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is good opportunity to learn the workings of the oil industry. Fast-paced and challenging work environment which is very satisfying. Great office location in Singapore.

Cons

People are sometimes the most challenging to deal with at Platts. Lack of managerial skills with some managers shirking responsibilities. Holiday benefits are extremely meagre.

S&P Global Platts2014-04-03

"McGraw-Hill - Platts is a good place to work. Great talented people and a very good atmosphere overall."

Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at S&P Global Platts

Pros

Platts offers a multicultural work environment. The best part of Platts is its employees. It is a great team of talented, hard-working people. I am very happy and pround to be part of it.

Cons

1. The onboarding process is not easy. When I first joined in 2007, there was no proper accompanied onboarding process. Since 2009-2010, Platts has made a real effort to improve in this area. 2. Platts is not best at communicating/implementing changes.

S&P Global Platts2011-06-17