S&P Global Ratings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
John Berisford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They care to make sure you enjoy your work and have work life balance (in 135 reviews)

• Work life balance with ability to work from home (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • When beginning a job at S&P, go in actively expecting that it has been falsely advertised to you (in 30 reviews)

• Senior management is notorious for enforcing use of untested software which breaks every week (in 26 reviews)

1. "Associate"

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time

Pros

Professional, collegial, professional support and learning opportunities.

Cons

Demanding, beurocratic, low pay, heavily regulated.

2. "S&P ratings is alright"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good exposure to deals and you are encouraged to learn deals and start rating them quickly. Great work life balance but comes at the expense of compensation.

Cons

Slow culture, bad IT systems that don't allow you to work efficiently, compensation is not great, managers don't have a focus on developing talent.

Advice to Management

Invest in better IT systems.

"Business Analyst / Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Ratings (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some work life balance, good benefits & 401K plan

Cons

Too many reorganizations & frequent management changes

Advice to Management

Reduce number of reorganizations. Promote from within.

"Not a great company in a not so great business market"

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time

Pros

Great medical benefits. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Lackadaisical management. Mediocre salaries; raises and bonuses are minuscule. No career growth opportunities. Unappealing workspace environment (awful cube farms). Lack of collegiality. Only two weeks vacation to start.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to more closely monitor and manage mid-level managers - and talk to rank and file employees.

"work-life balance, but very secretive"

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They're real big proponents of work life balance. Everyone gets along, at least on the superficial level.

Cons

Office politics or cliques? I cant tell the difference some days. Like I said, superficial from the jump. But play your cards right and you'll be dandy.

Upper management and even your general analysts, tend to be really secretive, giving off a clique vibe. That being said, if people arent "speaking" to you, theyre definitely talking about you behind your back. Doesnt matter if they actually know you or not.

Advice to Management

Generally, try to be more inclusive, you never know whose day you might turn around, or the possible potential talent that just might leave for a competitor. Ive seen plenty of it in the last few months.

"Great Management, easy hours, supportive environment with upward mobility."

Current Employee - Ratings Support Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Ratings Support Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have Great Management, easy hours, supportive environment with upward mobility. I see people moving and getting promoted frequently. They care to make sure you enjoy your work and have work life balance.

Cons

The work can be a little nuanced and redundant. That's really the only thing. Management could be a little more engaging.

Advice to Management

Keep engagement high

"Good years ago, but steadily, quickly and intolerably downhill"

Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is good, although the bonus is under 7% and shrinking all the time. Health coverage, pension, retirement contribution and vesting are all good.

Cons

Everything else besides the pay and benefits! The environment is totally stifling, ALL of the uppermost managers are brand new teams of "club" members who don't know either real people or the ratings business at all. STAY AWAY FROM S&P. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

You want advice? You don't deserve advice! When I got stuck with a terrible manager, who would yell at me at my cubicle with dozens of peers in earshot (all confirmed by MANY peers under her as well), the "proper channels" did absolutely nothing about it, and it took me years to find our that "HR partners" for every department even exist!

Also, every 8 hour day is divided into 15 minutes real work and 7-3/4 hours justifying it via scrum stories, forms, test cases, etc., etc., all on the worker's own - absolutely no thought given to automating or streamlining anything. Focus on results more than process and protecting your butts!

Finally: your BS town halls full of inspirational philosophical crap are a complete waste of time and lies, and everyone knows it. Our cubicles are coffins squeezing ever tighter, even as you preach out-of-the-box and helping the company generally. It's totally laughable, you blithering idiots. Wake up by spending "a day in the life of a developer". No, a month!

"What it once was it no longer is"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair salary; good location; long standing employees are very helpful and knowledgeable; strong business team; company name is known throughout the industry

Cons

Diminished workplace diversity, heavily driven by India; diminished work-life balance, expecting you to be available 28/8; filling open positions in Denver, creating in India, expects us to believe our jobs are not at risk; no longer promotes existing senior level staff to head departments instead hiring from outside; under value business acumen of long standing employees.

Now because of these negative reviews and poor internal employee survey results they're attempting to put bandaids on sores. In essence, throwing doggy treats so we can give good ratings on the next internal company survey, yet not really doing much. They need to reduce the risk of losing too many employees before critical projects are completed and do knowledge transfer to the incoming Denver/India staff. Well, what do you expect the CTO has to support his birthplace too.

It's a medicinal curry pie I guess

Advice to Management

Stop underestimating and undermining your current employees. We understand the value of change and know the business. Maybe the new leadership should learn the people and the business a little better.

Before hiring outsiders to lead consider putting 'acting' managers in place to see if your existing talent can do the job before disqualifying them, you may be surprised how many diamonds you passed off as lumps of coal.

Stop trying to out do one another. The biggest failure at teamwork is you!! Shame on you all!

"Not a place for those looking for a stable and secure environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Ratings (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance was good (while it lasted)

Cons

- No stability. Everyone is disposable. The more you make, the bigger target you represent.
    - Management of Risk function that is paranoid, trivial things blown out of proportion, scheming and politicking.

"Awful company"

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time

Pros

Good training and good name

Cons

Nobody had a CFA or MBA and everyone went to schools you never heard of. Nothing to learn.

Advice to Management

Your salary will be awful