S&P Global Ratings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
John Berisford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They care to make sure you enjoy your work and have work life balance (in 130 reviews)

• Work life balance with ability to work from home (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • When beginning a job at S&P, go in actively expecting that it has been falsely advertised to you (in 29 reviews)

• Senior management is notorious for enforcing use of untested software which breaks every week (in 26 reviews)

"Great Management, easy hours, supportive environment with upward mobility."

Current Employee - Ratings Support Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Ratings Support Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have Great Management, easy hours, supportive environment with upward mobility. I see people moving and getting promoted frequently. They care to make sure you enjoy your work and have work life balance.

Cons

The work can be a little nuanced and redundant. That's really the only thing. Management could be a little more engaging.

Advice to Management

Keep engagement high

"work-life balance, but very secretive"

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They're real big proponents of work life balance. Everyone gets along, at least on the superficial level.

Cons

Office politics or cliques? I cant tell the difference some days. Like I said, superficial from the jump. But play your cards right and you'll be dandy.

Upper management and even your general analysts, tend to be really secretive, giving off a clique vibe. That being said, if people arent "speaking" to you, theyre definitely talking about you behind your back. Doesnt matter if they actually know you or not.

Advice to Management

Generally, try to be more inclusive, you never know whose day you might turn around, or the possible potential talent that just might leave for a competitor. Ive seen plenty of it in the last few months.

"What it once was it no longer is"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair salary; good location; long standing employees are very helpful and knowledgeable; strong business team; company name is known throughout the industry

Cons

Diminished workplace diversity, heavily driven by India; diminished work-life balance, expecting you to be available 28/8; filling open positions in Denver, creating in India, expects us to believe our jobs are not at risk; no longer promotes existing senior level staff to head departments instead hiring from outside; under value business acumen of long standing employees.

Now because of these negative reviews and poor internal employee survey results they're attempting to put bandaids on sores. In essence, throwing doggy treats so we can give good ratings on the next internal company survey, yet not really doing much. They need to reduce the risk of losing too many employees before critical projects are completed and do knowledge transfer to the incoming Denver/India staff. Well, what do you expect the CTO has to support his birthplace too.

It's a medicinal curry pie I guess

Advice to Management

Stop underestimating and undermining your current employees. We understand the value of change and know the business. Maybe the new leadership should learn the people and the business a little better.

Before hiring outsiders to lead consider putting 'acting' managers in place to see if your existing talent can do the job before disqualifying them, you may be surprised how many diamonds you passed off as lumps of coal.

Stop trying to out do one another. The biggest failure at teamwork is you!! Shame on you all!

"Not a place for those looking for a stable and secure environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Ratings (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance was good (while it lasted)

Cons

- No stability. Everyone is disposable. The more you make, the bigger target you represent.
    - Management of Risk function that is paranoid, trivial things blown out of proportion, scheming and politicking.

"Awful company"

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time

Pros

Good training and good name

Cons

Nobody had a CFA or MBA and everyone went to schools you never heard of. Nothing to learn.

Advice to Management

Your salary will be awful

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Data Researcher in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Data Researcher in Denver, CO

I worked at S&P Global Ratings (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Decent pay. Good work life balance.

Cons

Extremely political. There were unnecessary roadblocks for internal transfers. There were no programs for developing professional skills. My team was very understaffed and they still didn't hire anyone when people quit. It's a large company and moves very slowly.

Advice to Management

Allow more room for employee growth.

7. "Great opportunities if you are ready to them!"

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth depend on your efforts and self-learning. S&P is also a big university of technical and soft skills. If you are an analyst, the company gives you an unique external exposure with issuers and investors.

Cons

I could say the non-stop changes, but I see them as positive, because the changes always offer more opportunities for who is performing well and guide the company to continuous improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep listening everyone.

8. "Great Work/Life Balance"

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time

Pros

An employee is allowed to have a life outside of work.

Cons

No direction from management. No room for career development.

Advice to Management

More time should be spent developing managers and providing them with clear direction on company growth.

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance with ability to work from home.
    Good introduction to capital markets and looks good on a resume.
    Decent benefits

Cons

Terrible compensation
    Outdated technology
    HR is completely outsourced
    Lack of growth. Old school company and must "pay dues" even if high performer.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better. Work on better communication between New York and regional offices.
    Remove the old school way of promoting employees and reward best performers, not longest tenured.

"Abysmal management, not worth prestigious name"

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time

Pros

It's a job. The office had vending machines. You get to go home at the end of the day.

Cons

I worked in the Colorado office, which for whatever reason became the destination for the editorial team, despite the main work being done in New York. This caused endless problems. Real access to management was almost non-existent. On-site management was virtually absent (constantly out to lunch, in conference meetings with NYC, taking copious days off, etc) and the NYC management would endlessly pass the buck; any attempt to ask questions or contact them was met with suggestions to ask another person, who invariably would also not be available. Training on the complex processes was extremely poor. Communication between teams was beyond poor, and it was common for management to simply give the silent treatment to employees they weren't satisfied with, rather than addressing the issue as adults. Favoritism and petty politics abounded. Layoffs were common and led to tasks being delegated to editorial that should not have been. As a result, the job as I was ultimately asked to perform was not the job I applied for, interviewed for, or felt that I was signing up to do. When beginning a job at S&P, go in actively expecting that it has been falsely advertised to you.

Technical problems were a constant. The software we used barely worked on the very best of days. All the IT and tech support was outsourced to India. Though the overseas support people did their best, there were obvious barriers (many barely spoke English) and they rarely seemed to know much about S&P, let alone understanding much of the work we did. The programs would crash constantly and make it virtually impossible to meet deadlines.

I can't speak for all offices, but the Colorado office was in a fairly unpleasant, isolated area that was difficult to access by public transportation and which had virtually no places to eat nearby.

Advice to Management

Train your employees adequately. Provide competent support.