S&P Global Ratings "s p" Reviews | Glassdoor

S&P Global Ratings Employee Reviews about "s p"

Updated Feb 19, 2018

3.3
S&P Global Ratings President John Berisford (no image)
John Berisford
Pros
Cons
  • "Constant changes in senior management(in 31 reviews)

• "When beginning a job at S&P, go in actively expecting that it has been falsely advertised to you(in 30 reviews)

Reviews about "s p"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great opportunities if you are ready to them!"

Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Growth depend on your efforts and self-learning. S&P is also a big university of technical and soft skills. If you are an analyst, the company gives you an unique external exposure with issuers and investors.

Cons

I could say the non-stop changes, but I see them as positive, because the changes always offer more opportunities for who is performing well and guide the company to continuous improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep listening everyone.

S&P Global Ratings2017-05-05

"Director- Lead Analyst Corporate Ratings"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work life balance-for the most part. I recommend S&P for recent graduates who want to get two years of experience, but move onto greener pastures after two years.

Cons

Poor management, constant change and streamlined/systematized ratings process that result in weaker analysts and credit analysis. Ratings process/systems favor consistency of process over robust credit analysis. Analysts lost their depth of sector and company knowledge.

S&P Global Ratings2018-02-19
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"A company lost"

in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Ratings for more than 10 years

Pros

At the time it was a great place to work for and there was pride in stating I worked for S&P. There were many perks to being an S&P employee.

Cons

After Leo O'Neil left the helm the company went down hill fast. Leo was a true leader and champion for the "little people" who he knew were the true reason for S&P's success. Today, people walk around like zombies and are just waiting for their turn to be cut. I stay in touch with many that remain there and the consensus is the same; they don't feel the company has a heart anymore more are they confident that there... is a clear direction.

Advice to Management

There really isn't anything that can be said to management as they are most likely in the same boat and are working day to day in hopes they won't get cut.

S&P Global Ratings2017-11-09

"Good years ago, but steadily, quickly and intolerably downhill"

Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay is good, although the bonus is under 7% and shrinking all the time. Health coverage, pension, retirement contribution and vesting are all good.

Cons

Everything else besides the pay and benefits! The environment is totally stifling, ALL of the uppermost managers are brand new teams of "club" members who don't know either real people or the ratings business at all. STAY AWAY FROM S&P. You have been warned.

Advice to Management

You want advice? You don't deserve advice! When I got stuck with a terrible manager, who would yell at me at my cubicle with dozens of peers in earshot (all confirmed by MANY peers under her as well), the "proper channels" did absolutely nothing about it, and it took me years to find our that "HR partners" for every department even exist! Also, every 8 hour day is divided into 15 minutes real work and 7-3/4 hours... justifying it via scrum stories, forms, test cases, etc., etc., all on the worker's own - absolutely no thought given to automating or streamlining anything. Focus on results more than process and protecting your butts! Finally: your BS town halls full of inspirational philosophical crap are a complete waste of time and lies, and everyone knows it. Our cubicles are coffins squeezing ever tighter, even as you preach out-of-the-box and helping the company generally. It's totally laughable, you blithering idiots. Wake up by spending "a day in the life of a developer". No, a month!

S&P Global Ratings2017-08-01

"Abysmal management, not worth prestigious name"

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time

Pros

It's a job. The office had vending machines. You get to go home at the end of the day.

Cons

I worked in the Colorado office, which for whatever reason became the destination for the editorial team, despite the main work being done in New York. This caused endless problems. Real access to management was almost non-existent. On-site management was virtually absent (constantly out to lunch, in conference meetings with NYC, taking copious days off, etc) and the NYC management would endlessly pass the buck; any... attempt to ask questions or contact them was met with suggestions to ask another person, who invariably would also not be available. Training on the complex processes was extremely poor. Communication between teams was beyond poor, and it was common for management to simply give the silent treatment to employees they weren't satisfied with, rather than addressing the issue as adults. Favoritism and petty politics abounded. Layoffs were common and led to tasks being delegated to editorial that should not have been. As a result, the job as I was ultimately asked to perform was not the job I applied for, interviewed for, or felt that I was signing up to do. When beginning a job at S&P, go in actively expecting that it has been falsely advertised to you. Technical problems were a constant. The software we used barely worked on the very best of days. All the IT and tech support was outsourced to India. Though the overseas support people did their best, there were obvious barriers (many barely spoke English) and they rarely seemed to know much about S&P, let alone understanding much of the work we did. The programs would crash constantly and make it virtually impossible to meet deadlines. I can't speak for all offices, but the Colorado office was in a fairly unpleasant, isolated area that was difficult to access by public transportation and which had virtually no places to eat nearby.

Advice to Management

Train your employees adequately. Provide competent support.

S&P Global Ratings2017-05-10

"Improved Leadership"

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

After several years of tumultuous leadership changes, S&P finally found energetic, thoughtful, and competent executive management. The organization is much more cohesive as a result. While some legacy issues remain, it appears management is focused on developing a strong employee culture. Mid-level management has also improved over the last few years.

Cons

Compensation is probably lower than other FI organizations; the company is very focused on margins and delivering shareholder returns, sometimes at the expense of their employee stakeholders.

Advice to Management

Continue to evaluate mid-level management and identify underwhelming performers. The analytic group in particular needs good leadership, better mentoring, and more consistent development.

S&P Global Ratings2017-03-04
  8. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Most people are easy to get along with. S&P provides great exposure to the capital markets broadly and the work is intellectually interesting and challenging.

Cons

S&P is not a growth company and is top-heavy at the director and above levels. There have been layoffs in many areas. As a result, there are very few promotion opportunities and morale has suffered.

Advice to Management

Invest in IT (data and workflow management). Simplify processes and methodologies. Work on improving employee morale.

S&P Global Ratings2016-03-09

"CREDit Analyst Program"

in New York, NY

I have been working at S&P Global Ratings

Pros

1) This program is fairly new AND small. It's first 'analyst class' began in summer of 2015 for class of 2015 graduates (undergrad). The classes are usually about 10-20 (at least in the New York office). 2) The analysts all start with a training program. This training gathers all analyst from all major S&P offices around the world and invites world-class NYU professors to teach finance, analysis, etc. 3) This... program is an acceleration program in terms of corporate hierarchy. You can start as a research assistant, but it will take you AT LEAST a couple years to be at an analyst level. 4) Analysts in the US come from usually econ, finance backgrounds from east coast schools ranging from Rutgers to Yale. 5) The unique aspect of this program is supposed to expose you to ALL FOUR of the major money-maker departments. It is designed to start as a summer intern in ONE department, and rotate through THREE departments after graduation (assuming you get an offer back). 6) The exit opportunities are expected to be good. Obviously this is a new program so there's not a huge alumni network from the CREDit program. S&P kinda expects and hopes you to stay after the program and choose one of the rotation teams. I'm assuming many graduates can go on into the buy-side in the debt industry.

Cons

You will need to put in the time into this program. It's a competitive program and the upper management expect you to put in the time and effort. Yes, you won't be pulling investment banking hours, but don't expect it to be a 9-5 job, unless its the training period. You'll be rotating so don't expect to get comfortable too much since you'll be moving teams and changing bosses.

Advice to Management

Interview according more to the analyst program itself. Obviously the candidates need to have a general finance background, but don't ask questions that aren't reflective of the analyst program. I don't know why the management team feels the need to ask investment banking questions and overly difficult questions. Also, be more responsive to the first and second analyst class - we will help you and HR refine the... program so work with us. Take each of our feedback seriously.

S&P Global Ratings2016-01-12

"Not much left to like"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Bonuses were decent for a couple of years, outlook for future bonuses poor. Work life balance is barely better than most financial companies. They won't work you into dust like Goldman. Name recognition. Company still has good reputation.

Cons

Extremely hierarchical, title means everything. If you don't have the right title, you won't be heard. Sexist, watch male employees get promoted year over year while women stagnate in the positions they were hired into. Good 'ol boys club, women need not apply. Salaries are not competitive. Management turnover high, employee turnover high, people leaving in droves, management not replacing opened positions when... people leave. Most of the really good talent is already gone. No clear direction, hyper micro management. Work life balance not great. Little understanding for working parents. The best place to work for working mothers award was for McGraw-Hill, NOT S&P- especially not Ratings. This is not the place that really talented people go to work.

S&P Global Ratings2015-07-20

"Poorly Managed-Miserable Work Environment- Stay Away!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at S&P Global Ratings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many people work 9:00 to 5:30 and many work remotely. Good 401k Contribution at 6% Good place for 2 to 3 years for college graduates that want to leave to work on Wall St., but if you stay too long companies won't hire you. If you are out of work and can't find another job it makes sense to apply.

Cons

Sr. management does not care about the employees and treats them like dirt. Pay is poor relative to credit jobs at any other type of financial institution. Raises are typically lower than inflation rate unless you get promoted (bonuses are also low). S&P had record year in 2104 and they took the opportunity to decrease pay by 10% Analysts spend 30% of time doing regulatory processes and taking operational... process training. Poor job security - S&P recently started terminating experienced analysts to increase margins above 42%. Very few seasoned analysts are left to mentor young analysts. Morale is terrible and most analysts are trying to leave. You have two types of people; those that are in the process of interviewing and those that are bitter they stayed here too long and cant leave! The recent regulatory requirements has made life at S&P miserable since management does not understand how to separate the compliance and model governance functions from the analytical functions. If you stay here for more than several years no company will hire you. S&P attracts many bright college grads, but they can't retain them because they treat employees so poorly. When they hire MBAs the signing bonuses are the biggest bonus they will ever see. S&P pays up to compare with offers from other financial services companies but once MBAs are on board, it is all down hill! High deductible, high copay healthcare plan. It is all about operational process and not about analytics!

Advice to Management

You are destroying an excellent and profitable franchise. Your strategy might increase the margins over the short term, but you need to focus on the credit analytics and retain experienced analysts for the long term health of the company. What reason do you think you are offering analysts to stay at S&P?

S&P Global Ratings2015-05-13