S&P Global Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

4.1
S&P Global President & CEO Douglas L. Peterson
Douglas L. Peterson
Pros
  • "A healthy work-life balance is encouraged(in 710 reviews)

• "Company has a good growth potential and very good work environment(in 239 reviews)

• Cons
  • "s amp p(in 102 reviews)

• "Senior management seems to be unsure which direction to take the firm(in 96 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Featured Divisions of S&P Global

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of S&P Global and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Amazing company to work for

Mar 18, 2021 - Methodologies Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company has been a dream to work for. The company provides a plethora of resources and benefits to keep the employees happy, there are tons of tools available to further your own development and learn different skills. Every single employee I have interacted with has been extremely helpful and willing to share knowledge, and my direct bosses and other directors within the company are all very open and approachable. I highly recommend S&P to anyone looking for work. Management of the company is always hosting meetings explaining what is going on and the direction of the company in the long term.

Cons

Being completely honest, I have no cons. My experience has been nothing short of amazing.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great

May 6, 2021 - Marketing in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance, people, benefits, exposure, networking

Cons

Big company culture, career growth

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Leadership in Parent Company - Terrible Leadership in Dow Jones Indices

Apr 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

HR Leadership and D. Peterson's Leadership is outstanding

Cons

New Indices CEO....where do I even begin?

S&P Global Response

Talent Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. S&P Dow Jones Indices is led by an exceptionally strong and talented team of experienced leaders – a group that has been further strengthened and energized by the arrival of a CEO who is leading with transparency, inclusivity, integrity and is focused on growth and innovation. Over the past year, our leadership team has communicated about the exciting future of the business, led a number of personal and group engagements with employees and has been open in their approach. In fact, in our most recent employee survey, the vast majority of our index colleagues have indicated that they are receptive to the changes underway and are embracing them. We encourage feedback and welcome all employees to share their ideas on how their experience can be improved directly with our people team or via our regular surveys.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

My experience has been great

Jan 26, 2021 - Senior Cloud Engineer in Centennial, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Of course, with any company I'm sure a lot of the experience depends on the team and management structure that you fall into. I consider myself lucky as I got put on a new and fast growing team. Around the year mark, I was promoted to Senior Engineer and received a 12% raise. Additional Pros: - no micromanagement - mid year and year-end reviews which are tied to a raise/bonus structure - 2 week long support shifts every 2 months or so, which I think is rare for engineers supporting Production infrastructure. - My team had employees in both US and APAC regions, meaning even when I was on support I never had to worry about issues occurring late in the evening or in the middle of the night - competitive pay - incredible benefits right off the bat: 4 weeks PTO, ~10 fully paid holidays, you get your birthday off, 401k and health insurance, "mental health" days, Wellness funds, etc - great work culture from the top down Again, I realize that other employees who don't fall under the same management structure as me might not have the same experience as far as career growth and freedom

Cons

Lots of mergers, re-orgs, upper level management changes and rearranging. This happened often and of course always gives employees the feeling of "am I redundant? Will I lose my job". I'm sure this is standard across most if not all large enterprises though.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Worked over ten years there and loved it

Apr 28, 2021 - Associate Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers, beautiful office overlooking lower Manhattan, excellent compensation. Company is performing very well.

Cons

Bureaucratic: too many acronyms, and many "lifers". Large turn-over of younger employees. Unofficial retirement age of 60 means they turn the heat up and make it very uncomfortable as one approaches that age.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Good industry and company with some poor senior leadership Priorities (IMO)

Apr 2, 2021 - Senior Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Moderate Salary, Moderate job growth potential (if you are a woman), and a solid industry with good profits

Cons

limited job growth potential if you are a man, most decision making is made at the very top, very little empowerment of subordinates one or two levels down. merit increase was non-existent this last year..

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Honestly, not that great

May 7, 2021 - Client Development Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, especially vacation, extra days off and maternity leave

Cons

Company does random layoffs. Great employees have been let go, and the company has suffered. More layoffs are coming. They care more about growth than their employees. “People first” is a lie.

8. S&P Global Ratings | Division of S&P Global
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Interesting work but culture left a lot to be desired

Apr 16, 2021 - Ratings Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Ability to participate in large M&A deals and have access to portfolio company executive leadership. -Great ability to develop solid skill sets: Presenting, Writing, Modeling, Organizational Manuvering.

Cons

-Company has high turnover for a reason, the culture is not one of working together. Many people trying to be the smartest in the room at all times. -Work life balance is atrocious. They are very slow to rehire so if you get stuck in a portfolio that has lost an anlayst, don't make plans for a few months. -Salary was quite low considering hours worked per week. -Not a lot of promotion opportunities for Ratings Analysts/Associates.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. S&P Global Market Intelligence | Division of S&P Global
      5.0

Amazing place to work

May 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary, Culture, PTO, other benefits. Massive room for growth within the company.

Cons

None. I honestly can't really think of any.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

So much talent, a great brand.....being completely eroded as of late

Apr 30, 2021 - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Talented, bright colleagues. The brand is truly an icon. Excellent leadership from Doug Peterson and Dimitra Manis

Cons

As of late, employee morale is crushed. Fear, disconnect, and uncertainty permeate throughout. Someone quoted it as "a sense of impending doom" and I couldn't agree more. I haven't spoken to the new CEO more than twice in a year. Whenever I have connected with him he has been disengaged, constantly looking at the clock above him or at the corner of the screen. We have zero feedback, other than the speeches he recites at the Town Halls. There is zero engagement and direction. And as soon as everything starts opening up and people start getting vaccinated, there will be a massive exodus as soon as employees are asked back to the office. It's a shame that he is so intent on erasing the past legacy that built this into the successful business it is today and will instead invoke passive-aggressive moves to mute that legacy. A great leader embraces that legacy, builds upon it, and leads his team forward. That is not what we have here. We have someone who is knowledgeable about ETFs yes, but not much else. He knows only the commercial side, and is avoiding dealing with the other side of the business....and that's fine until you cannot avoid it anymore and now you have a problem. We're trying to steer him right to no avail. Listens to no one, caters only to corporate. Does not understand that team confidence and morale are eroding and that's just the first layer to what will come. It's not too late to change course, I hope corporate and the board will find a way.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,597 Reviews