SAE Institute Instructor Reviews | Glassdoor

SAE Institute CEO Scott Jones
Scott Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They let that go when they let go of the other building (in 2 reviews)

• Management tend have a polarised attitude towards staff, large us and them mentality (in 2 reviews)

1. "The ever-changing SAE"

Current Freelancer - AVID Certified Pro Tools Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - AVID Certified Pro Tools Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at SAE Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff. Students attentive for the most part.

Cons

Administration recently changed the class structure- meaning less work for freelancers.

Advice to Management

Find a way to integrate my course into the main schedule.

"The place is a trash fire"

I worked at SAE Institute part-time

Pros

There were some great students there and some great teachers, but most of those teachers have moved.

Cons

I worked at SAE Expression College in Emeryville, CA USA. The administration is incompetent at best. Their business plan seems to be how best to take advantage of people. I wouldn't recommend working for this company unless you're really into being taken advantage of. They always try to sell it as what's good for the "student experience", but they don't care about that either. They just want to increase their bottom line by any means necessary. They don't care who they have to rip off. If you decide to work here, be prepared for crap to constantly roll down hill. You'll be the one to catch it. If Administration makes a mistake, they'll try to find a way to point the finger at the teachers.

It doesn't get any better as you climb the corporate ladder. The higher ups that aren't on the campus are incompetent and socially inept as well. As a matter of fact, the more socially inept you are, the more likely they are to promote you to a higher position. Many of the people in the administration are extremely socially awkward and don't handle themselves well in social situations. It makes it really hard to work for them. I guess the good news is that if you're socially awkward, this may be a good career path for you. There are also people in the administration that delegate 100% of their jobs to the teachers below them, making it impossible for teachers to focus on their lesson plans, grading, and providing students with the support that they need. Be prepared for about 10 emails a week with random tasks. Their are absolutely no academic standards for admission into the college. The acceptance rate is 96% (that's what it says online). Basically if you can pay, you get in. They have NO services for students, such as guidance counselor, school nurse, etc.

They have a complete lack of foresight. They decreased their physical size by 50% by getting rid of one of their buildings, while trying to increase their enrollment by 300%. Then they don't have anywhere to put classes, and have to increase class size to a point that I doubt a Fire Marshall would allow, if he ever did a walk through. They have no parking. They let that go when they let go of the other building. Students have to park on the street a half mile away. They hired their friend to do construction on the current building and build out new rooms and the rooms are very poorly organized with obvious flaws that any AV PROFESSIONAL would recognize right away.

They will do anything to keep an adjunct professor from going over 29 hours a week. But try to squeeze as much work out of them as possible. If they can get you to work for free on your own time, they will. There is very little room for upward mobility. They refuse to make part timers full time. Shoot high in salary negotiation, because they probably won't give you a raise.

Advice to Management

Fire the current administration and start over.

"a waste of your career potential"

Former Employee - Instructor in Emeryville, CA

I worked at SAE Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

students are great and make putting up with things a lot easier

Cons

oppressive corporate leadership, lack of ongoing education within field, tone-deaf administration that really doesn't know what fields we are training people for, flat salaries, being told by administration instructors are easily replaceable

Advice to Management

purge the administrators; start fresh

"Priorities have changed"

Former Contractor - Course Instructor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Course Instructor in New York, NY

I worked at SAE Institute as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job is fun and challenging

Cons

Company is more interested in making money than providing a quality education. Too many students with insufficient and insufficiently trained staff.

Advice to Management

smaller class sizes, information only flows downward - listen to your employees

5. "Instructor"

Former Employee - Instructor in Emeryville, CA

I worked at SAE Institute part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Back in the day, the faculty was an incredible array of folks with deep industry experience, and the students were talented and hard working.

Cons

We hit hard times a few times over the years, which made it hard for us part-timers, and the turbulence also affected students.

Advice to Management

Once SAE took over, they did not listen to or even seem to ask us faculty about what was working and what we needed to improve our delivery of the best educational experience possible.

6. "My experience at expression college"

Former Contractor - Game Design Instructor in Emeryville, CA
    Former Contractor - Game Design Instructor in Emeryville, CA

I worked at SAE Institute as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Students are great, location is great

Cons

The whole place is in complete chaos after getting bought by SAE. No benefits for contract workers

7. "Lots of changes - fine for staff, bad for students"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at SAE Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for a recent MFA graduate. They pay a little higher than what I got working in the industry, and the work is very independent and self-directed.

Cons

There is very little oversight as to what goes on in the classrooms. I've only had one brief performance review after teaching for almost a year, and I've only received student evaluations once. It's hard to improve when you're working in a vacuum.

Advice to Management

Remember that this is a school. The only thing that really ought to matter is what the students are learning inside the classroom. Spend more time helping teachers put together the best possible classes, and less time composing pointless memos.

"You should really love education to work in education. Sadly most here employees don't."

Former Employee - Supervisor/Instructor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor/Instructor in New York, NY

I worked at SAE Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students here made this one of the most fulfilling jobs I've ever had.

Cons

Sexual harassment that resulted in me losing my job- and I was the one harassed. Also, gender discrimination taken to an impressive level. Hard work & a passion for teaching won't get you as far as being male will. In many cases, this was detrimental to the students.

Advice to Management

If multiple women have quit or been fired due to one man's sexual urges, maybe that man shouldn't have a job, let alone a position of power in one of your schools. Also, having very recent graduates teach classes isn't a great idea- especially when you have good, passionate, experienced teachers available.

"Suffocating Environment"

Former Employee - Instructor in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Instructor in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at SAE Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Liberal and striving, but there is not much else to say really. Meeting new people is a pro I guess.

Cons

Some unpleasant coworkers, small workspace, bad transport and parking, some discrimination- but some unpleasantries are unavoidable. Just give it a shot and see how it goes.

Advice to Management

Enhance work ethics