SAGE Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Blaise R. Simqu

Pros
  • Work life balance, great people, appreciation for the talent (in 11 reviews)

• Great work environment, inclusive culture, ongoing staff training, flexible working hours, free office fruit and a great location (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Some in senior management can seem out of touch with the lower-level employees (in 6 reviews)

• The family idea is really a shame upper management shills to the workers for morale but when it comes down to it they are ruthless (in 6 reviews)

"SAGE is a great place to start!"

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits. The company cares about its employees. Management is supportive and encouraging. Lots of learning opportunities.

Cons

Quiet. Lack of diversity (both physically and personality-wise). Upward mobility can feel limited.

2. "A natural home for authors, editors, societies, and me"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- High quality, generous, low-cost heath benefits
    - Great employee programs like the healthy lifestyle reimbursement, anniversary trips, on-site learning opportunities, and educational reimbursement programs
    - Philanthropic company that cares about its employees and its local community
    - Culture where employees are generally kind, helpful and friendly to each other
    - Hardworking, solid performers can find growth here

Cons

- Academic publishing is not a highly compensated field, so pay at SAGE is competitive in their industry. However, compared to Los Angeles and local competitors in Thousand Oaks, pay can be lower than average in some cases, making it hard to find and retain talent in departments that compete against other industries.
    - Not enough diversity among employees

Advice to Management

- Continue to invest in developing people and developing stronger managers
    - Continue to be consistent in your policies within every level of the organization.

"Good Place to Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at SAGE Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

Most departments want to help interns learn. They give you a lot of work to do, especially in the HR department. It's a great learning experience with good people around you to help you succeed. Free Friday lunches!

Cons

A very corporate environment. Not much flexibility to do what you want, very strict procedures you must follow.

Advice to Management

Less corporate environment and more bottom up advice to the CEO.

"Good company if you are in the right department"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and at a low cost to employees.
    People are generally friendly, cooperative, and want to do the right thing.

Cons

Low pay (comparable to other local companies).
    Promotions only happen if you are in certain departments.

Advice to Management

Recognize the thought leaders and change agents amongst the staff and unleash them so that real growth and progress can be achieved.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury Park, CA

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Sage is collaborative and friendly. There is no shortage of effective and smart peers to work with. The comp is reasonable and the benefits are incomparably great. I would recommend working at SAGE to anyone looking for a strong company with even stronger values. IMHO Sage is one of only a few companies in town that really prioritize their values (Patagonia also comes to mind). If believing in your company and what is stands for is important to you; Sage is a great place to work.

Cons

Decision making and ownership between mid and upper management can get muddy. Other than that, not really any cons. Just a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Trust your lieutenants.

"Horrible Company to Work For, Management Are Bullies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at SAGE Publications (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are none, it's an unhappy place to work.

Cons

Top Management are bullies and lie to staff
    \workload is heavy and relentless
    Staff turnover is VERY HIGH, because of lack of promotion opportunities and poor salary
    Staff are clique
    Staff are told to work hard , but are very undervalued
    Executive manager live in a bubble and do not care about junior staff

Advice to Management

Despite inviting a unconscious basis consultant to look at the poor state of the company and hoe they treat their workers. I feel nothing will change within the company and it's passive/aggressive bullying culture. I'm sure Sarah McCune and Blaise should seriously look at what is happening to her company, as I feel their current and potential customers may conclude that SAGE is an unethical company

"bad"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at SAGE Publications (Less than a year)

Pros

besides the location of the company. absolutely nothing

Cons

unfair work load, terrible people, rough schedule, bad management, politics, behind the back gossiping.

SAGE Publications Response

Feb 1, 2017 – Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development

We welcome feedback of all kinds and are so sorry to hear that you had this experience. I would like to learn more and would welcome a conversation to hear your valuable feedback. You can reach me at ... More

"Wonderful people, fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time

Pros

I have loved my time at SAGE so far (approaching 6 months). My colleagues are brilliant, encouraging and incredibly supportive. Management has consistently shown that it is willing to invest in me and is interested in my success and growth as an employee and a person. Although I am in a starting position, that I am able to take on responsibilities that interest me and that my supervisor is responsive and generous with her time and her feedback.

I am also impressed by the company as a whole, which provides ample opportunity for growth and works to ensure work/life balance to the extent possible (a rarity in D.C.). Importantly, I feel that I can talk to anyone in the company and that my supervisors are sincerely interested in what I have to say.

Cons

I truly have very few. More flexibility for time off (more days, basically) would be wonderful, although SAGE is comparable, if not more generous than its peers. At times procedures can be unclear, although this is easy to rectify by asking questions.

Advice to Management

At times, there could be more clarity about roles and/or chain of command. A couple regular meetings seem unnecessary, but only a few (the majority are very useful).

"A good way to work."

Current Employee - Editor in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Editor in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I fled a large university press to work at SAGE, and have been grateful for my decision and for SAGE ever since. I've never worked for an employer that valued its employees or its mission more (and I've worked for the largest non-profit "mission-based" publishers in the world). The benefits are stellar, the colleagues are wonderful.

You hear the word "culture" a lot at SAGE, and you hear a lot from SAGE about how the company shapes and fosters its own culture. In fact, "culture" is so ubiquitous that it induces a fair amount of eye-rolling among middle managers and long-time employees. Well, they have the luxury of cynicism, because most of them have been at SAGE for over 10 years. I still haven't forgotten what it's like to work elsewhere, and for me, SAGE culture is a breath of fresh air. I'm proud to work for a company that actively emphasizes the value of the employee and how our contributions make the world better.

Also, we have 1) an engaged and active HR department who 2) aren't temps and 3) actively ENCOURAGE public feedback on Glassdoor so that they can continuously improve.

Cons

Entry-level publishing jobs are very hard on assistants, whether they're in production, editorial, or marketing, and the work is really uneven. Some assistants have more free time than they want; others have an utterly crippling workload. It seems to depend (too much) on who they're supporting.

I get that assistant salaries are generally low because they need a lot of training and mentoring, and to be fair, SAGE is great at promoting from within. But assistants and non-exempt employees should probably be afforded more perks than their managers - thinking here of professional development, day retreats, or summer Fridays. Because assistants can and often do feel very burnt out.

Also, SAGE's publications are pretty limited. No trade books, no academic monographs, and few professional books mean that the lists are fairly boring and a lot of your output is inaccessible to lay readers. It doesn't just mean that your job is a little less cool than other people in publishing; it means that you will have fewer transferable skills because you "only" work for a textbook/journal publisher.

Finally, all the benefits are great, except for the 401k. You don't get any company contributions until you're vested, which takes two years. Company contributions only START after two years (i.e. there's not a growing balance held in escrow until you're vested). And the contributed amount depends on company profitability, so you can't really plan around it. This all makes it kind of painful to save your traditional 10% toward retirement.

Advice to Management

Summer Fridays. Just think about it.

"Super easy internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at SAGE Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned here and my boss was great. Not a micromanager. The work for my job was so easy and apparently I worked faster and better than all the offsite freelancers they hired since than was literally what my boss told me. SO EASY.

Cons

This was over a year ago i understand they changed buildings but idk how it looks. Anyway no one talked AT ALL which I find odd for a company full of younger recent college grads. Silent as a mouse in there! Now I understand loud chatting is distracting and inappropriate for work but is everyone that shy they can't have slight banter with someone they sit by every day? So weird. Like I went to a way better school than Cal Lutheran but everyone is in college (interns) or went to college if they're in an entry level cubicle job since they don't hire people without a degree. It's not hard work or coding that requires 100% silence.

Advice to Management

I loved my supervisor who shall not be named :) Maybe throw in some team building activities a few times a year to boost morale?