SAIC Reviews in Alexandria, VA | Glassdoor

SAIC Alexandria Reviews

Alexandria, VA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • From upper management to local management S (in 51 reviews)

• Poor Benefits, Poor Senior Management, Unnecessary deadlines, Team sizes shrinking as workload increases (in 36 reviews)

1. "Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Family kind environment at some levels

Cons

cut throath managers for now Leidos

Advice to Management

stop looking at the numbers only and start thinking long term

2. "SAIC is about average."

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Standard compensations.
    Good work environment.
    Work is very rewarding.

Cons

Company will let you go when you're usefulness and/or contract are over.
    No real help finding other positions within company.
    Company not interested in holding on to experienced and good people.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and be honest with them.
    When you have experienced people, do all you can to hold onto them.

3. "Mixed bag ... depends on which group you work under"

Former Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the time I worked for them (2004-2005)...the benefits were very good as well as the compensation. Best orientation and on-boarding I've ever seen.

Cons

Mismanaged subcontract led to subcontractor growing her own company and ousting SAIC. SAIC let the subcontractor manage the SAIC contract.

Advice to Management

Work on making employees who work client-site actually feel incorporated with SAIC.

4. "Great team"

Former Employee - Business Process Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Business Process Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

project team, policies and processes

Cons

Difficult customer, PM was unrealistic

"Company has a good reputation, never really heard anything negative said about it."

Current Contractor - DCGS-A Mentor/Trainer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Contractor - DCGS-A Mentor/Trainer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Like I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits. Since the company is a mid size company there are always lots of jobs that you can move within the company.

Cons

Good or poor management is all relative to the division that you are in. My job doesn't really have very many options for advancement or working outside of a combat zone, so once the contract is done then we will all be forced to look for work. The biggest complaint that I have is that I was burned on my tuition reimbursement. The company approved me for reimbursement since the claim to be fully supportive of getting a higher level education, knowing that I was going to be on a leave of absence. Later claiming that they could not give me the tuition reimbursement because I was on a LOA status. The policy is extremely vague.

6. "Not a bad place but depends on your contract."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Good salary, very flexible hours.

Cons

Working at the Towers is the best way to advance. Away from the Towers you aren't visible for advancement.

Advice to Management

Advance younger people more willing to work hard than older employees who advance just there because of their past military/government success.

7. "Leadership style"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Most managers are good people.

Cons

If one does get a bad manager, the leadership is unwilling to do what's necessary to correct the situation .

Advice to Management

It's important to be fair to the employees instead of just covering for the "managers" who may not be performing the tasks that are best for the team.

8. "SAIC is for you if you are looking to have a stable job where you gain satisfaction through your performance."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Its always been a stable company. During my tenor when the market was down SAI stock was up or stable. There is plenty of work and the company continues to grow. Senior management have a keen since as to what the future holds and how the company can continue to remain competitive.

Cons

Sometimes there is more work than available resources so it is not uncommon to work extra unpaid hours. There is not alot of team building experiences.

Advice to Management

Improve the onboarding process. Open the doors for members that hold a Secret clearance to seek Jobs with TS or greater. Open channels of communication between engineers in different divisions/groups etc. I guarantee there are duplicate efforts being performed throughout the company and lessons learned that could be shared.

"Great company to work for if you liked military life."

Former Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Alexandria, VA

Pros

SAIC provides work on contracts that are difficult to find anywhere else. The work is always interesting, meaningful and rewarding. Some of the best people in their respective fields work for the company and it is always a pleasure to work with these types of highly skilled people.

Cons

Senior Management is often grossly out of touch with employee morale as well as how to effectively manage employees and their interrelationships. Employees often have to fend for themselves and form cliques in order to survive and advance. Thus advancement is often a function of popularity vs. job performance. Employees are often treated as functional cogs in a machine instead of people.

Senior management is often hired out of the officer corp of the military and have little knowledge or understanding of the corporate world and of skills based jobs (vs. managerial jobs). Opportunities to move into the management ranks are most often limited to those employees who were prior officers even when other, more qualified candidates exist. This creates a "para-military" mindset in the company that is at best ignorant of the employees and at worst destructive and cancerous within the employee ranks.

Advice to Management

Think a little outside the box of the training provided the military officer corps and try to run a business instead.

Showing 9 of 1,898 reviews