SAIC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 22, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • From upper management to local management S (in 50 reviews)

• Poor Benefits, Poor Senior Management, Unnecessary deadlines, Team sizes shrinking as workload increases (in 36 reviews)

"Supervisors have no accountability to employees"

Current Employee - Policy Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Policy Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You won't be unemployed.

Cons

- There is NO 360 review for management. You will have no opportunity to provide feedback about your supervisor or Project Manager.
    - Because there is no opportunity to provide feedback on supervisors, SAIC rewards and promotes people who know how to play company politics and who look good on paper; there is no consideration of feedback from employees he/she manages.
    - Extremely low to NO effort to retain younger talent.
    - Based on conversations with colleagues, salary for females in similar positions as men can be as much as $15K lower.
    - Management does not care about you. It's a big company.
    - This is is not a company that believes in "investing in its employees." Again, it's a big company- they can replace you with someone cheaper in a week.
    - Merit "increases" run at about 1.5% a year, if you perform very well.

Advice to Management

#1: IMPLEMENT 360 REVIEWS. Performance reviews should be a two way street.
    #2. Make an effort to retain your young talent- support their professional development goals and encourage participation in professional training. Invest in them and they will be loyal to you.
    #3. Encourage (anonymous) feedback from female employees specifically about their views on professional development opportunities, salary, and if they feel they have the right tools to succeed in their role (supervisory or otherwise). And actually take steps to address concerns in feedback.

"Computer Operator"

Current Employee - Computer Operator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Operator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume, about the only thing i received from this company was that and a check. Thanks

Cons

Cheap company, Greedy people, Poor management, They don't care about the little people. Laid 15 people off some who have been here for 12+ years just because the department is moving to a different state. Did not care to relocate any of them. No severance package. BUT they want us to stay until they hire new people at the new location, AND they want us to train them -_-. I pray we all find jobs that actually care about our well being. Very selfish. Thanks for nothing.

Advice to Management

This moved was not planned well. How do you expect to move an entire department to another state and get new people hire and trained in less then 2 months? and expect your old people to stay loyal? And you expect your old people to stay long enough to train the new people before you lay them off?? your asking for too much with little to no respect for us. Very very poor management. Selfish company.

3. "Dysfunction at It's Best"

Former Contractor - Systems Programmer in Lakewood, CO
    Former Contractor - Systems Programmer in Lakewood, CO

I worked at SAIC as a contractor

Pros

- regular paycheck
    - okay co-workers

Cons

- poor benefits
    - heavily political staff
    - no room to advance
    - unprofessional managers
    - low pay
    - people on campus prone to experience various levels of harassment

Advice to Management

- train managers to respect staff members
    - work to improve employee pay and benefits
    - take sexual harassment cases seriously

"Medical and Prescription Benefits could be better"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay high salaries and are very competitive in this area.

Cons

For prescriptions you must meet the $2,800 deductible before brand-name items are paid at all. Also generics are not cheap until deductible is met. All ADHD medicine is too expensive. Even the generic for Concerta it is $700 for 90 day supply. At a previous employer the brand-name for it was $76.00 for 90 day. Doctor visits are by percentage, not copay. Only 80% is paid when the $1,600 deductible is met first. I had a surgery and it cost me $1,600 out of pocket because my deductible was not met. Recently, antibiotic ear drops that my doctor prescribed were $200 and I was not able to get them for my ear infection. Luckily an Antibiotic pill worked, but I am still having issues so perhaps the drops would have been better.

Advice to Management

Please get better medical and prescription insurance. I am laid off from SAIC, but refuse to take another job at SAIC because the ADHD medicine is so expensive. I would have probably been able to keep my job if I was on the medicine because the medicine helps me learn and focus well enough to excel at my job. I did my best, but I know I lost the job because I was not on the medicine and my brain did not do well at learning the new programming languages required for the job. Who can afford $700 for a 90 day supply. The medicine, Concerta, was on $76.00 for a 90 day supply at my previous employer.

"Highly nepotistic environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low stress job and easy work

Cons

Narrow minded management with little diversity.

Advice to Management

Employees that are not graded on their ability or production.

"lost all respect for SAIC"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Williston, VT
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Williston, VT

Pros

Large defense contractor that says they care about their people. Perhaps that's true sometimes, but my most recent experience with SAIC was quite different.

Cons

After 8 years of stellar performance reviews I was unjustly terminated based on false allegations. I was treated like fodder. The communication from SAIC's lawyer is defamation.

"Professionals"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Good office location, small town.

Cons

Biggest revolving door! I have seen .

Advice to Management

Be Honest !

8. "SAIC Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company invests in their employees.

Cons

The culture was very old school thinking.

Advice to Management

Work on a healthy culture for employees.

9. "Careful with these guys."

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in El Paso, TX

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Got to work in an non-conventional work area and setting which was very fun. Other co-workers (besides management) were great to work with and many are now good friends.

Cons

Everything that wasn't listed above.
    Under paid
    Over Worked
    Horrible work to life balance
    No consistency in management
    No leadership

Advice to Management

Hire people that can do the job. Be more open to new ideas and feedback from other people besides supervisors. Could make the company an overall powerhouse if there was the right leadership and management.

10. "Health Insurance is expensive!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SAIC full-time

Pros

The health care does provide coverage and you choose at additional cost dental, vision, additional life insurance as well as pet insurance.

Cons

Family of Four pays about $700+ a month plus the first $6000 out of pocket for office visits. That's right, $15,000 a year for health insurance for a family of four!!!! Recommend asking for a raise, finding insurance else where or find another job! To put that in perspective, that is a second mortgage!

Advice to Management

Management needs to get creative to solve the problems created by heath care insurance. My family can't continue financially with SAIC pay and health benefits (lack thereof).

Showing 139 of 1,849 reviews