SAIC Reviews | Glassdoor

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

1,711 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management has there hands tied when it comes to things they should be providing (in 49 reviews)

• Poor Benefits, Poor Senior Management, Unnecessary deadlines, Team sizes shrinking as workload increases (in 36 reviews)

"SAIC - pretty decent place for military contracting"

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Washington, DC

Pros

My contract looks to promote internal before external. There are numerous projects and opportunities to excel and gain great IT experience and knowledge. There is a wide range of flexible hours that will suite any schedule. Very descent benefits along with discounts and programs available (ie: tuition reimbursement, metro reimbursement, annual training, online cbts).

Cons

On my contract, when a position is open there is a MAD rush to get it filled so that the company does not loose money from the government. This sometimes leads to unqualified people in management/technical positions. My way or the high way rules tend to be applied from upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's opinions and do not forget even though we work for you, we also work with you. If we as employees do not perform, the contract fails and then we ALL are out of a job!

"SAIC in Huntsville"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Huntsville, AL

Pros

The management at SAIC is always working to improve the life their employees. There is an abundance of opportunities for advancement and plenty of new business to be had with all the Army research and development that goes on in this area. They have a great program for professional development, they will reimburse the cost of college, and professional certifications. They have a great HR department who is very helpful in all aspects. They have a very flexible work schedule, as long as 80 hours are completed in the pay period it is fine.

Cons

The benefits package is run of the mill.

Advice to Management

None.

"Quite possibly the last company that I'll ever be employed with."

Current Employee - Site Lead in Fairbanks, AK
    Current Employee - Site Lead in Fairbanks, AK

Pros

Everyone that I work with are professional, friendly, knowledgable and willing to share what they know to ensure that you too have success. We perform our duties under contract, so everyone has a vested interest to perform their best as it maintains the contract. With contracts located nationally and worldwide you do get the feeling that the world is your oyster as you can move around.

Cons

Working as a contractor and conforming to the contracted companys culture based on their expectations from you. Bonuses, benefits and training can feel limited due to the budget alloted for the contract. Sometimes certain employee services can be hard to get addressed because geographically their offices are at a different location in the country.

Advice to Management

Always maintain open communication with your employees. Look into how employee services can best be used to provide assistance to your employees for their region.

"It's definitely not boring!"

Current Employee - Analyst III in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Analyst III in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Highly rated ethical company, and I've certainly never seen an ethics issue. In addition, despite the conservative population that SAIC recruits (retired military in many cases), sexual orientation is listed specifically in the non-discrimination contract, and women are generally treated fairly, despite individual employees' issues that may or may not exist. SAIC is international in scope, and exists most places in the US. They're working on doing better at moving employees within SAIC rather than losing them, so even if you may move, opportunities may exist elsewhere in the company.

Cons

Each business unit is run separately (although corporate is trying to change that), and so there are variations across business units. My unit depends on relatively short-term government contracts, so there's not always consistency for what you'll be working on from year to year. On the other hand, I have a wide enough variety of skills that I can shift pretty easily among projects. I don't recommend SAIC if you want to do the same thing forever and forever.

Advice to Management

An increase in communication is *still* needed. I know that SAIC is trying to improve, but there are still barriers to free communication about goals and guidelines as the company grows, now that we're publicly traded.

"SAIC Review--highly technical company with strong economic factors and personnel behind it"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Orlando, FL

Pros

Highly technical company with a very good reputation that allows senior managers autonomy to manage their respective business lines. Very government focused so although many jobs are based on contract awards to government that sector is usually flush with opportunity and funding for your business unit to win.

Cons

Benefits are more costly--member contributions--than working in the healthcare field.

Advice to Management

More communication about converting from privately held company to publicly held company as stock value has seemed to linger and not reflect the true value of what this company is worth. If the IPO created much capital for the company in the past 12 months I do not seem to have heard about any strategic acquisitions or how we are using this capital to our benefit at this point.

"SAIC: an interesting place to work."

Current Employee - Research Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

SAIC historically was a flat organization where profit and loss were reported at the 50 person level. As a result groups were given a lot of autonomy to pursue work that they wanted. While the organizational structure has regressed to one more similar to a traditional large goverment contractor, SAIC still retains the flexibility within the contracts organization to take on smaller contracts than companies such as Raytheon, NG, or BAE might be able to. Additionally, middle management is given a lot of autonomy in how they build their groups and develop talent, hence there are some wonderful line managers.

Cons

The benefits package leaves quite a lot to be desired. The health insurance is merely adequate and the 401k matching is only 50 cents on the dollar for the first 6% of income.

Advice to Management

Remove the layers between Senior Management and employees.

"Great company, glad to be part of the team!!!"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

SAIC provides a great starting arena for those who are fresh out of the military. Easy transition into civilian life. Also, most of the management processes are online which allows you to answer your own questions or get a response back very quickly. The benefit package is also incredible compared to other jobs. No one else could beat it. Lastly, the people you work with are very knowledgeable and easy going. Everyone contributes and is a team player.

Cons

Starting pay could be higher for experienced professionals.

Advice to Management

None. Senior manamgement does a great job of informing everyone of the company goals and how we plan to get there. They work with you if you need time off or if you need to change schedules. Great people to work for.

9. "The best place to work that you've never heard of."

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Torrance, CA

Pros

One of the best companies I've worked for. Employees are intelligent, reliable and dedicated. Although nothing is handed to you, the ways to improve your skills and better your chances for advancement are available and well-communicated. Compensation is in line with market and those with security clearances are in high demand. Hard work is well rewarded with merit pay and bonuses. There are opportunities to move with in the company to many different geographic locations.

Cons

Long hours are expected, although this is somewhat balanced by telecommuting. You are expected to be available immediately at all hours, even on vacation. Employees are very competitive and not always helpful.

Advice to Management

Hire the best and let them go.

10. "SAIC Junior Software Engineer Review"

Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

Pros

SAIC provides a stable work environment where information is shared freely and adherence to ethical professional standards is fostered. The additional health and retirement benefits match industry standards. There is also a highly visible training program where one can advance ones professional skills and therefore career.

Cons

There are slightly lower than average salaries for software engineers. An employee ownership program whereby each employee could purchase premium company stock at a large discount has been downsized. At times it seems that promotions aren't given where they seem justifiable.

Advice to Management

SAIC has traditionally been a little below average on salary compensation for software engineers. I'd suggest slightly boosting our salaries to match the industry.

11. "You get what you put in. Hard work is rewarded."

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Frederick, MD

Pros

Lots of diversity (new graduates working beside career employees) and lots of opportunity for continued education (seminars, workshops, classes, tuition).

Cons

There are a lot of career employees without vision or drive who like to gossip about being required to actually produce for their pay. However, I have found the compensation to be above the norm for the area and my coworkers, managers, HR, and senior management to be very supportive, involved and fair.

Advice to Management

Try to re-engage the career employees who have forgotten what putting your nose to grindstone means...get rid of watercooler mentality. Get people talking! One suggestion to try is to have a column in the newsletter just for "man on the street" discussions. If you want to know what employees are talking about or worried about, you have to ask.

Showing 1,711 of 1,815 reviews