SAIC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,782 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • From upper management to local management S (in 51 reviews)

• Poor Benefits, Poor Senior Management, Unnecessary deadlines, Team sizes shrinking as workload increases (in 36 reviews)

1. "Good employer to work for."

Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Convenient office location and many talented coworkers. Interesting projects to work on. Good 401k plan with a variety of funds to choose from. Good health and dental insurance

Cons

Few advancement opportunities, base salary not as competitive, bonuses are available to upper management only. Lower level staff have no bonuses.

2. "Pretty Good"

Former Employee - Lead Tech Writer in Madison, AL
    Former Employee - Lead Tech Writer in Madison, AL

I worked at SAIC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Typical boring 401K, but company known to provide big bennies, like health insurance premiums of $10/mo, passing out Apple products free to all employees...

Cons

Military style "Yes sir, no sir" mentality among military customers when interacting with our company's staff enough to drive you nuts.

Advice to Management

We were who hired on the military people, so how dare they act like they were in charge of us? Our company's top management just went "yes sir, no sir" even when what the military brass wanted to have done was like going around your elbow to reach your butt hole. They just nodded and smiled and nodded and did as told. Maybe they had to -- I don't know. Sure made our jobs harder than they ever needed to be. You know -- don't you dare have a different idea.

"Bad Culture, worse benefits"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SAIC (More than a year)

Pros

Base pay was good at first

Cons

Raises were around 1.5% annually if you had a good review, had a culture of going to work to collect a paycheck, employees never seemed that interested in their work and never seemed to care about producing a great product, silly high turnover rate, everyone complained about the benefits and management didn't care

Advice to Management

Vastly improve the benefits, they are well below industry average.
    Work on your culture, don't treat employees as numbers and they might actually start to care about their job, this bad environment makes higher performers jaded and want to leave. Speaking from my personal experience I felt that project management was pretty terrible, we had several months of nothing to do on this one project and then all of a sudden I was working 60 hour weeks because the time wasn't managed well. Give better raises, 1.5% to someone who got a glowing annual review is a slap in the face, it would have been better to not even give raises.

4. "SAIC"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands off and honest. Good educational benefits.

Cons

Little opportunity to switch positions within the company if in Charleston, SC.

"Concern over possible age discrimation (age vs experience-payroll savings versus knowledge)"

Pros

Good Company to work for concerning flexibility of hours and locations of work if needed and allowed.

Cons

Seems to be shrinking in size every year as no real efforts are being made for Charleston to market for new Contracts. Lack of knowledge of interoffice understanding and appreciation/use of older employees various unique abilities to harness their years of acquired knowledge and experience within various programs, disciplines and job tasks of all government programs that encompass the full range of military design and implementation from land, air, surface, subs, TELCOM for all divisions of the military. For many years since the sequestration, not saying that they are doing this, but SAIC seems to be letting go of older, experienced higher paid employees and hiring younger, lower paid employees to save hourly payment. The extra costs in the end will not benefit this kind of thinking. Use experienced people that have kept up with current software to get the job done right for the clients.

Advice to Management

Read what is said above about the warning of saving a few dollars per hourly wage by hiring new and young people right out of college or tech school and letting go of experienced older employees based upon hourly costs. It seems like age discrimination might be playing a role in the choice of people chosen to work on various tasks. I am seeing this trend everywhere and the results are usually never that great as the younger person might know a certain computer program better than the older employee that just has to learn the same program, but the older employee can make better use of the newer computer software as they understand the reason behind the software and the current changes and what not to do in the long run. Become more mindful of every department's capabilities and their current employee's capabilities and you would develop a stronger team and better work flow to better please the client on a more consistent basis. Start looking at somehow giving a raise to older employees as some have not had a raise for over 5 years and telling them "They are lucky to have a job is not good motivation". Businesses should not run like that. Work smarter, not harder. Focus on the client's needs more.

6. "SAIC"

I have been working at SAIC full-time

Pros

Great tech company. Emphasis on ingenuity and ethics.

Cons

Limited options at higher levels. Not all parts of company embrace corporate vision.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees and building profitable business.

7. "Buyer"

I have been working at SAIC full-time

Pros

Great room to grow; very good training and the ability to lear s you go

Cons

tremendous ability to multi task

8. "Great location - good comp and bennies"

I worked at SAIC full-time

Pros

Great location
    Good compensation and health benefits, 401(k)

Cons

No pension
    Sick days come out of vacation days
    Can't enter "2011" in the "Last year" box above.

9. "Empowers employees and keeps things clean and straightforward."

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Always has supported my needs with whatever technical, business, and personal issues.

- If you perform well they stay out of your hair and focus on empowering you. I really appreciate that.

- Keeps administrative burdens to the minimum.

- Pay is quite fair and raises are handled in a straightforward manner.

Cons

- I am a contractor for a DOD client. Many of SAIC's jobs are these. If the contract is not renewed you can find yourself in the wild. SAIC does have a robust re-utilization program, but contract work is never guaranteed.

10. "contractor"

I worked at SAIC full-time

Pros

salary is competitive for area

Cons

high risk employment when contract ends

Showing 1,782 of 1,898 reviews