SAIC Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management has there hands tied when it comes to things they should be providing (in 49 reviews)

• Poor Benefits, Poor Senior Management, Unnecessary deadlines, Team sizes shrinking as workload increases (in 36 reviews)

1. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good management, work-life balance, and benefits

Cons

below average salary and if you work on a government contract be prepared for the possibility of layoffs when the contracts expire. I would also say that working with the government as a customer can be very challenging as they are not typically the hardest workers or best communicators.

2. "Great forward momentum for a growing company."

Current Employee - Test Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Community, Great Management, Great people to work with.

Cons

Sometimes you get forgotten about when you work at a customer site. The annual raises are on the Lower end, to get a larger raise you will have to have a Mid term. Other than that I loved working with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep the forward momentum. HR needs help, many of the sites need to be revised and fixed.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing, winning contracts, flexible for employees, decent benefits

Cons

Contract-based work (not permanent work)

Advice to Management

Doing great job!

5. "Contracts and Contracts"

Current Employee - SAIC Contractor in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - SAIC Contractor in Poway, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People seem nice and management seems to care. Pay is good and benefits are not bad.

Cons

Attitude of we take care of our own is debatable. If your contract ends you better have something lined up quick. You will get a layoff notice.
    Benefits are not the best.

"SVP"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in La Jolla, CA

Pros

Excellent company for entrepreneurial growth during employee owned days.

Cons

Went public and lost its way!

Advice to Management

Go back to the original EO vision and strategy business model.

"Mechanical Engineer"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Divisions are operated fairly autonomously, leading to a small company feel within the larger corporation. All engineers in my division sat in their own offices. Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Very little investment in the business. Lack of coordination between divisions. Poor communication from corporate office. Poor salary.

Advice to Management

Get to know the actual business you are running. There seemed to be little interest or visibility into the actual work being performed by anyone above the division level.

8. "Overall, a good employer!"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, no micromanagement, decent compensation. I'm on-site with a customer, and not in the SAIC building, so YMMV. All of my PMs have been good, and overall this is a really good comapny to work for.

Cons

No formal training allowance. They do have tuition reimbursement for degree or certificate programs, but if you want technical training to advance your career that isn't specifically called out in your SOW, the process to request it is very informal and varies... I was able to go to a great class because I happened to ask the right person at the right time, while a co-worker has been unable to get an approval for weeks now.

Performance and career management, frankly, sucks... perfromance managers are not dedicated to the task, it's a collateral duty for people who already have a full-time job. Some people might wind up with a really great manager, others might get someone they'll never meet because they work hundreds of miles away and who really aren't engaged with the process.

Salaries seem to be very stratified... I've received regular adjustments that amount to about COLAs, and my experience has been that getting a real increase is more problematic than at other companies. SAIC has been through a couple of revamps of their job categorization, and it looks like being reclassified into a higher level is largely dependent upon your SLTL, and that takes us back to the issue above :-)

Advice to Management

1) Provide an annual training allowance to employees and a formal, documented process to request training.

2) Either provide more training for SLTLs, or use performance professionals to do reviews. If nothing else, standardize the process so everyone who asks the same question is likely to hear the same answer!

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Engineer V in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer V in San Diego, CA

Pros

Atmosphere, work life balance, great team and hard problems to solve each day always new challenges to face and an always evolving work environment

Cons

Busy hectic schedules heathcare, not much room for progressing in the company. Upper management has there hands tied when it comes to things they should be providing

Advice to Management

Better heathcare

10. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Business Process Improvement Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big consulting company, presence nationally and internationally. There are great people who work at the company who do great things but go unnoticed.

Cons

If you are not on a project, you will get a 30 day notice. They will hire unqualified candidates if they know them personally

Advice to Management

Things changed from great to really bad when company went public. That sucks.

11. "security"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

amazing security staff in San Diego to work with

Cons

Lay offs happen often and there was no room for growth in Security

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to take STEP courses to become certified as CPSO's or FSO's . Having this on their resumes will open doors for them.

Showing 128 of 1,774 reviews