SAIC Reviews in Silver Spring, MD | Glassdoor

Silver Spring, MD

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • From upper management to local management S (in 51 reviews)

• Poor Benefits, Poor Senior Management, Unnecessary deadlines, Team sizes shrinking as workload increases (in 36 reviews)

1. "Still a Good Company"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, a good company, and overall good management

Cons

even though it's not as big as it once was, tendency is still to be a little

"No micromanaging, but no advancement, either"

Current Employee - Technical Writer/Editing Specialist in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Writer/Editing Specialist in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

* Freedom to telework, usually (although because it's "manager discretion," it varies wildly, even though our customers next to us have very liberal telework) -- Telework MAY be getting discontinued on our contract, unfortunately
    * All sorts of benefits on the federal customer's campus, such as a gym, daycare, amazing cafeterias, and others
    * SAIC University online training is free, so I guess that's nice
    * Personal time off accumulates decently enough, the longer you're there (after 5 years, I get about 5 1/2 hours every 2 weeks)
    * Lots of I.T. and H.R. support via a 1-800 number (easy to reach someone)
    * Anonymous complaint line for ethics or other violations
    * I've had more than one manager (due to retirements), and neither of them have micromanaged their employees at all

Cons

* Salaries on a federal contract are terrible
    * No room for advancement or promotion on our particular contract (because SAIC wants to stay competitive, I guess???? which makes no sense to me)
    * Tuition reimbursement has been eliminated
    * Health benefits have skyrocketed and are typical (higher co-pay for the more flexible plans, etc)
    * Telework can be eliminated at the manager's whim, and that's causing people to leave when combined with the low salaries and lack of advancement
    * Still no parental leave for childbirth (just disability) - although there are same-sex partner benefits

Advice to Management

Get with the times! Offer official telework to all employees, unless there is a genuinely compelling reason not to. It saves money and boosts morale. If customers (civil servants) have flexible telework, your SAIC employees could have it, too, without upsetting the customer. It's 2015. Train managers to see the benefit in telework. It's an affordable way to makeup for low salaries.
    AND... allow and encourage employees to move up the promotional ladder. Give us real training and encouragement in order to do that. Tell us how to make it happen and then help us do it; don't just give us lip service and empty promises. We will go elsewhere if we can't advance.

Showing 2 of 1,896 reviews