SAIC Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management has there hands tied when it comes to things they should be providing (in 48 reviews)

• Their business model was internal competition which pits different business units against each other to compete for opportunities (in 36 reviews)

1. "Good Employer"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to receive merit bonuses, move to other positions within contract for different opportunities, referral bonuses, 401(k), ability to receive secret clearance, all insurances are offered, ethics friendly work environment, many locations for flexibility, education push (amazing benefit), diversity, etc.

Cons

as a contractor your job is never guaranteed and often bring your work with you home.

Advice to Management

Work towards a healthy work life balance as one of the pillars of future improvement.

2. "DPM"

Current Employee - DPM in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - DPM in Washington, DC

I have been working at SAIC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great people at most locations, winning a lot of contracts lately

Cons

difficult to advance upward from middle management (well entrenched old boy network), struggling with old and new internal IT tools

Advice to Management

Fix your IT tools and processes. For example, RMS, Taleo (hiring managers are not allowed to search candidates in Taleo, are you serious?) and Fusion are a mess. IT support, especially on a macro/Enterprise level is awful. Every VP should take a ride on RMS and see how difficult it is to use.

"SAIC"

Current Employee - SAIC in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - SAIC in Washington, DC

Pros

Flexible work hours, company box suite available once and a while for sporting events and concerts.

Cons

Rejected my education reimbursement even though coursework directly related to job duties.

5. "Sr Consultant"

Current Contractor - Senior Managing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Senior Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at SAIC as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Takes care of employees and consultants.

Cons

There is none that I can think of.

"Sr Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at SAIC full-time

Pros

The new SAIC has faired better than Leidos after the split of the original SAIC back in 2013. This has provided general stability across the company.

Cons

There is not as much opportunity for movement within the company as some posts suggest. It is a long, difficult - if not impossible - task to rise within the company, i.e., if you are hired as a junior or mid-level analyst, you will see experienced professionals brought in as senior-level analyst rather than see yourself promoted. Health care benefits have declined, costing more for less coverage (typical of Obamacare era). Raises have been capped and do not exceed a COLA if they are given at all. Performance bonuses are no longer heard of. It's just not the same as when it was an employee-owned company. And the company has too many mid-level managers in its matrix format. That may be efficient on the balance sheets, but it does not serve the interests of employees well, as there is always another layer of approval required before employees can receive promotion or substantive recognition, i.e., making more managers actually puts more space between decision-makers and employees. Oh, and while the company does offer a 401K match (not all companies do), it maximizes at only 4.5%, where the industry standard is more along the lines of 6%, with some companies offering 10%.

Advice to Management

Improve your benefits package, especially by restoring health care coverage & costs to 2014 levels.

7. "Staff Officer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC

I worked at SAIC as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good, hiring manager helpful, co-workers on contract pleasant to work with

Cons

Depending on the client, workload can be unrealistic for a day's work

Advice to Management

N/a

8. "Opportunity"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

Pros

Great experience and values are good

Cons

No cons at all. Everything is on point

Advice to Management

No advice needed. Everyone is doing a Supreb job

9. "Good first real job"

Former Intern - Engineering Support in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Engineering Support in Washington, DC

I worked at SAIC as an intern

Pros

Worked with the government, security clearance, opened many doors for the future. Flexible work schedule (do your 8 hours and 30 minute lunch).

Cons

Interns don't get benefits or accrue leave. I was there for 3 years and never received a raise in compensation.

Advice to Management

I could have probably advanced, but I changed career focuses once I hit graduate school. There were very few interns in my location, so they do try to keep the ones that have.

10. "senior principal systems engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SAIC part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

with direct contract to PEO IWS I get to work on multiple programs including aegis, DDG 1000, CVN78 and AMDR

Cons

with cut in funding I am currently limited to a 24 hour pay week

Advice to Management

n/a

11. "Glad To Leave"

Former Employee - Computer Guy in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Computer Guy in Washington, DC

Pros

Very well defined work process, sharply executed.

Cons

As a contractor, I had four bosses giving me about 50 to 60 hours of work. I could only charge 40 hours. I worked 45 hours and was chewed out for not doing the rest. The secret of SAIC's success is making contractors work for free.

My lead refused to train me, probably because I was very experienced and she thought I would take her job. Every time I asked her how to do the job, she chewed me out until I stopped asking. Consequently, I only made half the progress I should have.

SAIC refuses to tell you what they want you to do, but they are eager to reprimand you for not doing it after the fact. I learned most of what I learned from my co-workers and from management chewing me out. It was common to be ferociously chewed out by my manager after a deadline for a task I had never been assigned.

Every morning I dreaded walking into the office and every afternoon I was elated to leave. I was in a uniquely unhappy situation there but, in general, it was not a happy office. People did not visit because they all had crushing workloads. I could not even leave for lunch. It was a sterile office.

You had to carry all your office in with you every morning because the cubes were all hotels, where the first person to claim a cube got it for that day. Sometimes, you had to do some considerable searching to find a place to work. A lot of my time was consumed with making the cube network connection work, because they would randomly shut down connections without warning. That was hard to figure out.

You had no phone but your cell phone, for which they made no compensation. I had to pay extra on my cell account because teleconferences ate up ten hours per week or more. I had one daily status meeting that lasted 60 to 90 minutes.

Likewise, since the email and network were often cut off, I had to pay extra to work through my iPad. This is the only office where I had to pay for the basic tools and services to do my work. Another way SAIC succeeds is by shifting office expenses to the contractors.

After six months, I found another job and gave two weeks notice. They fired me for quitting. That's the kind of place SAIC is.

Advice to Management

I have plenty of advice but who would listen to it?

Showing 117 of 1,753 reviews