SAIC "military" Reviews | Glassdoor

SAIC Employee Reviews about "military"

Updated 27 Apr 2019

3.5
SAIC CEO Nazzic Keene
Nazzic Keene
Pros
Cons
  • "All decisions require multiple sign offs from upper management, even for very small routine tasks(in 53 reviews)

• "If you are a military retiree and don’t need its medical or dental plans(in 47 reviews)

Reviews about "military"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Tech co involved in multiple projects

Cons

Difficult for upwards mobility, opportunities to laterally move within the company. Military Officer mentality in some cases, they forgot to take off their ranks!

Advice to Management

Facilitate employee retention through advancement

SAIC2017-10-27
  2. "Cyber Analytics"

Former Employee - Cyber Integrator and Planner in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Allows you to bridge out to and support in a collaborative environment.

Cons

If you are a military retiree and don’t need its medical or dental plans. The lack of flexibility in negotiating what you don’t need or utilize is problematic. Small companies IMO have a better attitude when discussing that option.

Advice to Management

Hmm remember the client is is whom you support. Once the client has identified that you are not really viable. They will recommend or put you on another vehicle and do away with your company.

SAIC2019-04-27
  3. "A great company, not very personable to off-site employees"

I have been working at SAIC full-time

Pros

There are many resources for employees to utilize due to the size and imprint of the company across the U.S.

Cons

As an employee who works off-site, on a military base, I do not feel as though I'm included in the SAIC community.

SAIC2018-10-22
  4. "Training Analyst"

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than a year

Pros

great management, great benefits, pay for certifications, great relationship with all management and coworkers, no micromanagement, great for my first job as a veteran

Cons

low ball salary, burnout working with military staff, no real room for growth or advancement in my position

SAIC2018-01-22

"Pretty Good"

Former Employee - Lead Tech Writer in Madison, AL

I worked at SAIC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Typical boring 401K, but company known to provide big bennies, like health insurance premiums of $10/mo, passing out Apple products free to all employees...

Cons

Military style "Yes sir, no sir" mentality among military customers when interacting with our company's staff enough to drive you nuts.

Advice to Management

We were who hired on the military people, so how dare they act like they were in charge of us? Our company's top management just went "yes sir, no sir" even when what the military brass wanted to have done was like going around your elbow to reach your butt hole. They just nodded and smiled and nodded and did as told. Maybe they had to -- I don't know. Sure made our jobs harder than they ever needed to be. You... know -- don't you dare have a different idea.

SAIC2017-07-28

"Not the place for women"

Current Employee - Director in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fair salary, flex work, stock options and good stock price. Telework is the norm. Great if you have a busy schedule.

Cons

Nowhere to go career-wise. Good ol' boy network. If you don't have military background, you won't be taken seriously. So many real estate and OH cutbacks that you'll be working from home and demoted before you know it.

SAIC2017-03-31
  7. "Good company"

Project Program Management Senior Analyst in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Very professional work environment. Great co-workers. Enjoy interacting with our customers.

Cons

Ever since the company went public in 2013, upper management has placed most employees as Casual Employees (CE), without benefits, just an hourly salary, unless there is a direct contract or charge number where we can become Full Time Employees (FTE). This company shift has made employees that are not former military retirees and have a steady retirement income coming in every month, to leave the company to seek... other full time opportunities elsewhere because they cannot sustain a household on part time salary.

Advice to Management

Bring your most valuable employees to a full time employee status with fringe benefits after any direct contract ends, this will entice employees to seek job security elsewhere.

SAIC2016-08-26
  8. "Company is fine as long as you have a contract awarded"

Current Contractor - Senior Systems Administrator in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

They have work available worldwide - IF you have a security clearance and are willing to relocate.

Cons

Your position depends on your contract. If the contract is not renewed then you'll have to find work within the company on your own. HR, recruiting don't seem to do anything to assist. Work with a lot of ex-military personnel. A lot do not possess the necessary qualifications or experience for the position they're hired for but were hired just for their security clearance or nepotism - having their... ex-military buddies bring them on-board.

Advice to Management

Too much work depends on defense contracts...should expand and offer consulting services outside of that industry. Don't participate on "least cost technically acceptable" type of work and hiring folks straight out of the military just for their security clearances.

SAIC2016-06-01
  9. "A great company for a starter job"

I have been working at SAIC full-time

Pros

SAIC has good benefits and good leadership with a matrix system that allows employees to work on projects across different departments.

Cons

SAIC has lots of ties with military contracting which can prove to be very slow pace on project turnovers. For those not interested in that field, it can sometimes prove to be not awarding.

Advice to Management

I believe SAIC should be open to experimenting into more fields that are not related to the military.

SAIC2016-04-01
  10. "Performance Enhancement Specialist"

Former Employee - PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT SPECIALIST in Dallas, TX

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with soldiers is fantastic. seeing the opportunity to help shape a life and inspire soldiers is a great feeling and reward. The company itself is large and has many benefits such as a great salary base and awesome benefits.

Cons

It sometimes felt too big. For example at new hire I dealt with one group to give copy of my Social security and ID for I-9 verification. Another department for other new hire stuff and another department for yet more and then a whole different department for my health benefits, and it kept going. It was so big they had a department for every little thing. In my particular piece of this huge corporation our little... group of 12 staff located on a military base was led by a former Lt. Colonel (retired) and he spoke to us like if we were soldiers. Yelled at our faces, and after giving or rather barking orders he would give out the Army grunt that soldiers use to acknowledge orders. I would just laugh at him. I did complain of a hostile workplace environment and the upper echelon just gave a patent answer saying it was just that I did not understand military life. I was an army brat so I know life.

Advice to Management

Try to really see what is happening at your distant sites. With such a very very large company all spread across the world and small groups scattered around they need some active supervision and feedback opportunity.

SAIC2015-08-12