SAIC "military" Reviews | Glassdoor

SAIC CEO Nazzic Keene
Nazzic Keene

"Project Manager"

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Good people; Ability to work on multiple different projects with multiple different clients (in my case within the government space).

Cons

Some cut throat behavior between the divisions. Lots of opportunities for folks with military and government background but harder for folks who did not have that background.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in those government contracts. Let employees have more opportunity to participate in bid and proposals on the contracts.

SAIC2015-07-14
  2. "Beltway Bandit Structure and Mentality"

Vice President Programs in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Good people, usually successful in previous careers, customer contact /marketing is everything, hire in mid and late career people who are knowledgeable, but "careers" only last 1-5 years then you are out; good compensation and bonuses typical of a beltway bandit

Cons

200 small groups in search of a company; no career path for individuals, especially young engineers; your job only lasts as long as your project does; no mentoring by older engineers; ex Gov and retired military personnel dominate management(good old boys) ; WIN AT ANY COST mentality, big bonuses for wins, slash & burn whats left

Advice to Management

Build a real company with a career path for tech people, not just a bunch of unrelated projects which come and go, with execs who collect their bonuses and leave after a few years

SAIC2015-06-26
  3. "Logistics"

Logistics Manager III in Hanahan, SC

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Well organized company, good leadership, fair and informative.

Cons

Your former military rank determined your highest position attainable.

Advice to Management

none.

SAIC2015-03-30

"Good People - Very small operational feel outside of big locations like DC"

Technology Project Manager in O'Fallon, IL

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Good company and good people when they have a good contract. Some level of big company resources online due to the large sized nationally / internationally. Decent policies on tuition and such.

Cons

Pay was OK but not impressive. Employee support in small offices is very low. Felt more like a consulting firm run out of someone's basement almost. Formal career development and mentoring were basically zero. Seemed to be bias against employees without former military background.

Advice to Management

Improve the experience at smaller offices to have some of the characteristics of the larger sites.

SAIC2015-03-13

"It is...what it is."

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary is pretty fair from both what I've seen and heard.

Cons

Quality of people, management, facilities. Know this: aside from the exciting videos of people doing high technology and smiling, SAIC is a services company who focuses on military contracts. There aren't people inventing things or working to solve humanities problems. Most all of us get stuck in a grimy building on a military installation and are turning wrenches on military vehicles. That's the true nature of this company; chasing down contracts and keeping the military industrial complex alive and well. If you're okay with that, come on in and close the door. If you want to do something that promotes a healthy future for the whole of humanity...keep movin.

Advice to Management

Push for and invest in the health and welfare of the people who do the real wrench turning. Look at the success of companies who invest in their people. Quality facilities, tools to do their job, nurture an environment of happiness and commeraderie.

SAIC2015-02-27
  6. "Normal Company, deceitful Job assignment"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Crane, IN

I have been working at SAIC full-time

Pros

Payroll and HR have their act together.

Cons

You will be hired under a specific Job and magically reassigned to another task and reassigned to other short term tasks. Basically told, I’ll try to keep you fully employed. This happens to mid and senior engineers. I don’t know who keeps placing the Fulfilling and chance to learn from senior engineers and working to server the military in multiple review. Someone at SAIC? Btw, the reason you will not receive any relocation is this job switch and bait.

Advice to Management

MIA

SAIC2015-03-04

"Thanks, Veterans!"

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They do offer competitive salary.

Cons

Everyone working for SAIC where I am at always complains about their leave and medical benefits. This is the first company I've ever worked for that didn't give 28 - 30 days total leave. Their on-boarding process is terrible. I mean, it's never fun, but theirs is worse than any other company I've worked for. And to top it all off, they don't give Veteran's Day as a paid holiday. Thanks Veterans! Many of SAIC's employees are Veterans and they do so much work for the military, but they don't give that day off. You do have a floating holiday you can use for that day, but a Veteran (especially a combat veteran) should not have to use a floating holiday for that day. That's just disgusting to be honest.

Advice to Management

Push it up the chain to have Veteran's Day as a paid holiday!

SAIC2014-11-11
  8. "SAIC Employment Review"

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst II in Sumter, SC

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large Company with ability to move within the company worldwide. Good salary. Travel support excellent.

Cons

Compnay split into Leidos and SAIC, concerns on strength of company in the future. Military contracts during periods of USG budget debate and military drawdowns.

SAIC2014-09-25

"Worse contracting firm ever"

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you get a good customer, its easy to make a difference since most govt employees and contracting managers dont like to do "work" - they just like being in charge and going to meetings.

Cons

Most employees are retired or ex-military - some are ok, but most are arrogant, lazy, and largely inept (especially the air force ones). I guess they don't like the fact that they couldn't get govt. jobs, so they take it out on junior personnel. If your contract goes, you are out of luck, they wont carry you on overhead. You are a tool for the company to make money on - little else.

SAIC2014-07-30
  10. "Good Company but weathering through Fed Markets"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time

Pros

Good, sharp people who know their stuff

Cons

Some culture can get in way of program development, especially retired Army military culture

Advice to Management

Be open to fresh ideas

SAIC2013-11-16