SAIC "military" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2019

3.5
SAIC CEO Nazzic Keene
Nazzic Keene

"If you don't rock the boat you will do well. Great for x-military to retire and double dip$!"

Senior Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at SAIC

Pros

If you like lower pay, low risk, follow orders blindly, and like a Government Jobs relative security.

Cons

A government retirement for X-Military that want to double dip$$$!

Advice to Management

HIRE Experienced business leaders and pay them to grow the staff with real experienced skills set. Do not hire X-military with a high rank as credentials and NO hands on.

SAIC2008-06-19

"Great company to work for if you liked military life."

Senior Intelligence Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

SAIC provides work on contracts that are difficult to find anywhere else. The work is always interesting, meaningful and rewarding. Some of the best people in their respective fields work for the company and it is always a pleasure to work with these types of highly skilled people.

Cons

Senior Management is often grossly out of touch with employee morale as well as how to effectively manage employees and their interrelationships. Employees often have to fend for themselves and form cliques in order to survive and advance. Thus advancement is often a function of popularity vs. job performance. Employees are often treated as functional cogs in a machine instead of people. Senior management is often hired out of the officer corp of the military and have little knowledge or understanding of the corporate world and of skills based jobs (vs. managerial jobs). Opportunities to move into the management ranks are most often limited to those employees who were prior officers even when other, more qualified candidates exist. This creates a "para-military" mindset in the company that is at best ignorant of the employees and at worst destructive and cancerous within the employee ranks.

Advice to Management

Think a little outside the box of the training provided the military officer corps and try to run a business instead.

SAIC2008-06-12
  3. "Salary"

Current Employee - Planner in Kuwait

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work overseas for company and the pay is above the average for other contractors. They adhere to country laws and pay overtime on the country's holidays.

Cons

At least overseas, the management tends to look too closely at people they know from past military or contracting relationships. Tough to break into the click.

Advice to Management

Be open to the talent of newcomers, provide them oppotunities for advancement.

SAIC2012-08-04
  4. "good"

Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

I'm just starting to work at this company so I wil find out. Pros -- good salaries and medical benefits -- choice of positions in many areas of country Cons -- if you are female there is no maternity leave, you have to use your own leave or there is this short term disability leave plan -- leave is based on time with company and is typical for a large company -- depends on your gov't contract because some projects are not great

Cons

I will find out after some time. Cons Cons for working at SAIC are - Military environment (can be both a pro or con depending) - Long days which equates to less then desirable work./life balance

Advice to Management

Good it is really good. Im excited.

SAIC2011-05-02

"Don't do it"

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Pay is standard, and since you're part of the military industrial complex layoffs are few. But the benefits package is really pretty good.

Cons

It's an old boys network, where the lazy can get by because they're protected from on high. If you aren't ex-military, expect to be shut out.

SAIC2011-04-14

"All about billable hours - don't care if it is interesting work"

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Stable - never felt that my job was at risk though this depends on the pipeline of contracts for your particular division, very good work/life balance

Cons

All about being billable, no clear career path, managers manage tasks not employees - I've never got the impression that my manager cares about whether I feel challenged or my professional growth, as long as I bring in the fee, its all good. Tendency to replace mid and mid to senior employees with junior staff. Real military good old boy culture which makes it tough if you are not ex-military.

Advice to Management

Expose yourself to the same non-transparent review process by having the staff review managers as well. Share information not only when it benefits you or you have to because you need help. Value experienced employees by giving them reasons to stay.

SAIC2011-02-08

"Average company"

Systems Engineer

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Flexibility, type of work. Not overly demanding. Interesting work someetimes. Easy to stand out if you are above average. Decent folks here an there.

Cons

Too big. Going public killed company. Run like the military. Did not see a lot of vision or passion from leadership

Advice to Management

Communicate. Treat people like people because you want to, not for your metrics. Find a way to get the profits up.

SAIC2011-01-24