SAMCO Reviews | Glassdoor

SAMCO Reviews

3.8
Jack Logan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "S&T Investment Banking"

Current Employee - Institutional Fixed Income Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Institutional Fixed Income Sales in Dallas, TX

Pros

The management here is absolutely exceptional. SAMCO is a firm comprised of older, seasoned salespeople. They recently have been hiring younger salespeople in an effort to replace some people who are nearing retirement. They have hired 4 to date and expect to continue hiring.

The support provided by more seasoned people is fantastic. Everyone is respectful of one another and there is a good flow of information/knowledge. The COO (JM) is the best manager I have ever met or worked for.

SAMCO has high payout ratios in their commission structure. They do not pressure people to sell items in inventory. This is not a cut-throat firm.

Cons

Offerings tend to be smaller. They focus on BQ deals and Texas paper. They are trying to change this, hiring a new banker to focus on negotiated deals and doing some national sydicate deals.

Advice to Management

I love working here and plan to stay long term. This is somewhere I can grow and be successfull, while having a good work life balance.

"Office Manager"

I worked at SAMCO full-time

Pros

I worked with a great group of woman. We all worked great together and helped each other out quite often.

Cons

There were only five employees and I worked almost sixty hours a week due to not having enough staff.

3. "Underappreciated"

Current Employee - Head of Security (Supposed to BE Full-time) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Head of Security (Supposed to BE Full-time) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SAMCO part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, seasonal, flexibility, coworkers, a job

Cons

Disorganization, lack of communication, human resources, unqualified management, lack of training

Advice to Management

Don't forget those who were always ready and willing

4. "Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Exposure to client contact not likely to experience at larger firms, at least at the entry level. Also had the opportunity to work a broad range of sales responsibilities. This included statement analysis, monthly report writing, composition of marketing materials, etc..

Cons

No formal training program, but the Senior Managers all have 15+ years of experience in Public Finaance, so it's not like they need it.

Advice to Management

Implement some structured training and continuing education program.

5. "Like working for the family business."

Current Employee - Operations and Compliance Officer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations and Compliance Officer in New York, NY

Pros

A public company with a small company mentality. I was as close to the people in Austin and Dallas as I was to those I worked with in NYC.

Cons

Business is slow for that market. But no layoffs.

Advice to Management

Decide on business lines and see them through.