SAP Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends

4,717 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work - Accomodatin and In-Touch"

Current Employee - Applications Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Applications Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

SAP is very in-touch with the reality of today's workforce. Many employees have a variety of needs - SAP helps connect employees to those needs. Based on my assignment, I have the privilege to work from home - and can move anywhere in the world that I choose. I also have benefits that meet my family's needs. My manager is great - and we always connect at least 2-3 times per week to check-in.

Cons

We're a large organization. With this, it can be challenging to know what each part of the organization does on a daily basis. This can really be more of a "pro" than a "con." But those who need to see the whole organization will find this challenging.

Advice to Management

We have top talent in all parts of the organization. To keep top talent happy (and staying at SAP), keep on encouraging professional growth and development at all levels.

Oct 18, 2016 – Employer Brand Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for your honest and realistic view of SAP. We're happy to hear you're enjoying your time at SAP and would recommend the company.

2. "very good company to work at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

open atmosphere
    cutting edge technologies
    good benefits and compensation
    great work life balance

Cons

none, apart from the fact that it is a huge company and hence can be a bit slow in changing at times...

"Silicon Valley Next Talent Program"

Current Employee - Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Silicon Valley Next Talent (SVNT) Program:
    SVNT is a highly competitive rotational program and career accelerator within the products and innovation organization at SAP. The cool thing is that you can rotate on multiple SAP teams within the first year. At the end you may select the best fit based on mutually benefits. Therefore, you may develop a big picture mindset about SAP, while contributing your strengths on many impactful product features that are using by the world's most successful businesses. I think this unique program would be the best choice for all new graduates to consider.

- Application Process:
    The review below is based on overall recruiting process of Silicon Valley Next Talent Program. The whole process took about one month (starting from the time that my resume was accepted and I submitted the survey form). The recruiter is pretty helpful and responsive with interview arrangements as well as status updates. The interview process has several rounds. The first round is talking your background with the recruiter. I learned about the recruiting process and what to expect after joining SVNT program. After that the second round interview is with the SVNT program manager, in which many behavioral questions were asked. I enjoyed the conversation a lot and found that the core values and team culture at SAP would be the perfect fit for me. I also felt connected with the program manager when I shared insights about my experiences and lessons learned. The third and fourth rounds are technical interviews with SAP experts in my field. The format and questions were similar to typical technical interviews with other large tech companies. One thing stood out was that all interviewers were super passionate about their work and shared many great things about working at SAP. These conversations really helped me to develop a better understanding about the benefits of SVNT program and I then decided to accept the offer from SAP instead of some other top companies.

Cons

The overall recruiting and on-boarding process in quite smooth and many detailed guidance is provided. I think the SVNT program at SAP is one of the best recruiting process I had ever experienced.

"Great Company that Cares for and Empowers Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very entrepreneurial spirited company.
    Make your job what you want it to be, its empowering to carve out how you want to make impact.
    Very inclusive environment , you can really bring yourself to work
    Great pay and benefits, top notch and some of the best I have ever seen.
    Stable company that is very profitable and can inject profits into significant R&D and innovation investments.
    Great focus on simplification to help employees, and customers, succeed in a "frustration free" way .
    Top workplace, Fortune named top 100 place to work
    Top workplace for women, Anita Borg institute named top place for female technologists.
    First Tech company to receive the EDGE certification: Economic Dividend for Gender Equality.
    Tons of learning and development resources for employees.
    Supports working from home for a lot of roles.
    Agile organization that stays ahead of the curve and isnt afraid to make changes to business direction to stay ahead of market.

Cons

Can be challenging to get promoted if you don't market yourself and position your own promotions. Dont wait for a promotion to happen to you.
    Can be very long and hard hours in global roles. Even with flex working it can be 12 hour days or more starting at 5 am and ending in the PM.
    Resources can be overwhelming, there is a lot to wade through and self navigation is important.
    Accountability is not consistent throughout the organization. Top performing employees are often given the bulk of the work to make up for lower performers. Rewards are high when this happens but its a challenging work environment that doesnt always feel "fair".

Advice to Management

Instill accountability at every level, dont allow peers in other regions to do less based on cultural norms. The whole team needs to be equally accountable.
    Dont burn out your top performers
    Keep working on simplification and creating a great workplace!

May 15, 2017 – Employer Brand Marketing Coordinator

Thanks so much for the great review. Always nice to see employees on here who have been with the company for as long as you have! You brought up some really fantastic points and we're so happy to see ... More

6. "Great Software Company"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible and willing to accommodate work culture. People are honest and the company really values you as an employee. If you don't feel a fit, you're encouraged to look internally to find something that better fits your strengths. I like how they are now focused in on hiring younger talent to fill in for those that have been with the company for 20+ years

Cons

That being said, the average age is definitely higher than other typical software firms around Silicon Valley which creates a different work culture and pace. Lots of international calls and meetings which both broadens your scope but makes your reliant on conferencing software

Advice to Management

Keep the cloud push going, look into making and retaining a diverse and young workforce

7. "Don't be fooled by the positive reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at SAP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty decent benefits package.
    Office environment.
    Mostly friendly employees.

Cons

Some really bad managers, especially those from acquired companies by SAP like Sybase. Not sure if they were under pressure or what, but since SAP acquired Sybase, some managers had a completely different attitude toward employees. They would micro-manage people, watch how your sit in meetings, take note of every little thing that they never used to do. In other words, they have essentially become some annoying smart@ss managers.
    The company would also layoff employees quietly, sometimes the whole group completely, and for a big company like SAP, their severance package sucks.

Advice to Management

Get real, SAP is not the only employer in town.

"It's not perfect, but it's pretty great here"

Current Employee - Marketing Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Program Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Well-organized and clear top-down communication on goals and vision
    - Stable business growth with sound strategic investment in the future
    - Maximum flexibility when it comes to work hours and working from home
    - Plenty of opportunities to move around within the company, which is encouraged
    - Focus on employee development
    - Great benefits (health benefits, free lunch, generous vacation and employee support resources, focus on giving back to the local community)
    - Environmentally sustainable (and beautiful!) campuses and socially responsible business practices
    - Reasonable work/life balance within the marketing organization, and most others within the company.
    - Diverse and inclusive culture

I think it's telling that many people who leave often come back or wish to. It also says a lot about a company in Silicon Valley when many employees have been there for 10+ years. SAP is a great company to work for and I feel privileged to work here!

Cons

- Difficult to keep demand gen skills sharp because SAP marketing is not as innovative and cutting edge as leaner organizations
    - Q1-Q2 can be travel- heavy as T&E budget usually gets cut off in 2H
    - Frequent re-orgs can be challenging to get used to
    - Any large company can be difficult to navigate and learn who's who.
    - Compensation is pretty rigid. It's fair but don't expect large pay increases. You can definitely make more elsewhere but the benefits make up for this drawback.

9. "Great Company, Great Future"

Current Employee - Marketing Operations Specialist in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Operations Specialist in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SAP provides strong pay (for more seasoned employees), great benefits, and the company as a whole has a great future.

Cons

Starting salaries for entry level employees are very low in my opinion. Interns make $20-25 an hour (which equates to ~50K/year) and they are eligible for OT which pays time and a half. When I started I was making 55K, working 50-60 hours a week and wasn't eligible for OT. To be honest I was actively searching for new roles because I knew similar companies paid much larger amount (atleast in the 60Ks). But I'm glad I stayed because now, a little over 2 years later, I'm making almost double - have granted stock options and a very nice year-end bonus plan.

Advice to Management

I understand the reasoning behind lower starting pay - make people earn their keep. But also realize that you will lose top talent early on because your pay is less than competitive. I was a consultant with over a year's experience and I found out that I was making half what a new grad in his first week was making at Deloitte....pretty unnerving to say the least.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, Good pay and benefits.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say.

May 15, 2017 – Employer Brand Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for your positive review! We're happy that you are happy!

11. "Great company"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

> good benefits
    > good work/life balance
    > great initiatives on camppus e.g. TedTalks, beer bash etc.

Cons

> many cool projects happen at the headquarters in Germany
    > many early morning calls with headquarters in Germany

May 15, 2017 – Employer Brand Marketing Coordinator

Love hearing you are happy with all the benefits we offer!

Showing 4,717 of 5,207 reviews