SAP Reviews | Glassdoor

SAP Reviews

Updated June 19, 2017

Cons

"Discrimination and lack of diversity"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits package

Cons

From my personal experience working in SAP Successfactors Engineering department I feel like there is a huge ongoing problem with diversity.
    Most of the Dev and QA management are Indians as well as team members they prefer to hire:
       A lot of the Indians get hired on the spot without going through official interview process, just because they are relatives or friends of those managers, which makes it difficult for other applicants to be considered for a position.
    There is a lot of politics involved in the processes, project assignments, promotions, etc.

Number of meetings during the business hours as well as non business hours is abnormal.
    Engineers can’t focus on their task because they are always destructed by meetings and have to catch up the project at night.

Evening meetings are not contributing to healthy work-personal life balance, and taking quality family time away.

Advice to Management

It is proven by research that diverse teams produce better products – please consider creating more diversity in S SF Engineering team and revisit who gets appointed as mangers to Dev and QA Teams.

"This is about SAP Global Delivery."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at SAP (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Unless you like meaningless politics , sucking upto managements and do meaningless work. Pay is Ok.

Cons

The job itself. In my two years of working, I didn't enjoy a Single Day.

Advice to Management

Please for God's sake try to make life bearable for the employess

SAP Response

Feb 15, 2016 – Employer Brand Marketing

Oh my. Very sorry to hear that you were so miserable. Would love to understand in more detail what happened, so we can address it. Please email me directly so I can look into this. Email ... More

"Lack of Innovation and Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at SAP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No Pros at all! This company is on life support.

Cons

SAP has walked away from customers for the past 15 years. There has been a lack of innovation and leadership that goes straight to the top. Hence why SAP is struggling to gain revenue. SAP's lack of Executive Leadership at the top has left them behind other software companies. The consulting organization has lacked technical resources and SAP struggles to fill projects with internal candidates which leaves a bad taste with install customers.

Advice to Management

Leave! Your management skills are old school. Think big and get out and understand what customers want and need. Treat the customer like a customer not a revenue stream.

"SAP NS2 culture sucks"

Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer in Herndon, VA

Pros

could not think of any

Cons

vacation is below average. they sand bag you on the salary and hours. claim to be veteran friendly but are not. micro manage everything and have some crazy joint decision process.

Advice to Management

stop micro managing and hire people that have govt expereince

"Various positions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at SAP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of money to spend on events for executives and their customers.

Cons

Complete lack of focus on the customer or the employees. Politics abound and it is a culture of managing up. Tons of 2-4 hour meetings per week with many people never actually contributing. Not a culture of performance and allows politically minded to hide in middle level management jobs for years.

"Moving to the Cloud in India"

Current Employee - Cloud Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Cloud Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learn a lot supporting multiple SAP products in the cloud. Good networking and training opportunities. If you love to travel this is where you want to be in consulting.

Cons

As of right now SAP is laying off most of their North American (US based) CTC employees in favor of cheaper less experienced Cloud Consultants in India. They can hire 10 employees in India to 1 in North America.

Advice to Management

Focus on quality, not quantity as your customer base demands it.. If not, in the long run you will be last in the cloud as customers see they cannot understand the other guy on the end of the phone (because of their thick Indian accent) and barely have enough experience to do the most simple task unless it's spelled out for them in a guide. If you have a large problem it will take forever to get resolved because you've laid off your most experienced American employees.

"Management turnover is too frequent"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of resources to go to if you need help with client issues
    free lunches
    can take clients to any events

Cons

career growth depends on who you know and how they perceive you vs what you have accomplished. the talent leaves and the mediocrity stays.

Advice to Management

chose leders who get to stay in the role for longer than4 months, give sales people their territories for longer than 6 months,

"Too Big for its own good....They do NOT Run Simple"

Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

I came over from SuccessFactors. SuccessFactors was an incredible experience. Great money, work/life balance, and you felt like you made a difference. Over the last year SuccessFactors has been completely taken over by SAP, which has killed the culture

Cons

I am in Sales at SAP. Sitting here on April 3rd 2015 our group STILL DOES NOT HAVE ITS COMPENSATION PLAN. If you are from one of the companies they acquired you will not be treated right. Internal system are awful. You will be forced to use SAP's technology for your daily job and its absolutely mind numbing that companies buy some of this technology. I was lucky to hit quota last year, but only 10% of the SF field reps made their quotas last year. SAP's slogan is "RUN SIMPLE", but if you are working here expect the exact opposite. One last thing.....Last year they told us we would not get commissions until May, which ended up being August. We literally did not get our first commission check until August. They pulled the same thing again this year. As of right now we are being told that the first commission check for 2015 biz will not come until May....my guess is they will continue to drag this out. All of this information is accurate and true....I hope this helps.

Advice to Management

Any advice you have for management will not matter. They are too big for your opinions to matter. At the end of the day they want the stockholders to be happy and do whatever they can to keep the cost of a sale down. Turnover is inevitable and will only hurt SAP over time.

"Good Company, But in Danger of Becoming Less So Every Day"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still a top rated enterprise software company. Competitive salaries for the most part. Large market presence globally, and huge customer base. Smart acquistions that gradually transition cusotmers from expensive on-premise SW to more innovative, cheaper cloud-based solutions. Fairly strong vision from dynamic CEO, and beginnings of stability with top "Managing Board" executives who report to the CEO.

Cons

Margin pressure as on-prem to cloud transition happens, causing the company to revert to old-line hyper-aggressive sales tactics and strategies. This includes using audits to drive "artificial" revenue, and mid-year changes to sales comp plans that cause deductions to Sales AE earnings. This, coupled with the huge complexity of getting things down within the company, is affecting cutomer relationships, and causing acclerated flight of seasoned Account Executives, Sales Directors, and pre-sales teams who rely on building and maintaining trusted relationships with key accounts and long-time client or industry contacts. Successfull sales leaders defecting to smaller industry players or to larger consutling partners and SI's. Huge confusion still in R&D make or buy process. Great acquistions so far, and great vision with HANA, but needs serious rationalization.

Advice to Management

Stick with the vision and resist short term P&L-driven decisions to appease Wall Street or to maximize internal personal MBO's or bonuses. Reverse the slide and dis-investment in caring & feeding of top sales people. Get R&D figured out. No longer feasible to be either a German OR an American solution development culture. Need to meld together to become a global dev culture, that has it own unique "SAP theme". Oh, and have a chat with all of the CMO's. SAP branding and marketing is balkanized and terrible.

"Solution Architect"

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at SAP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

+ Few great individuals still left in this company although mostly in Germany.
    + Tons of material to all you want about SAP products and solutions.
    + Great company for sales jobs and have some really smart sales leaders all the way to the top.

Cons

- Bureaucratic setup that does not get much work done and too many middle manager who have no clue about software development.
    - Very many bad projects and failures brushed aside by smart marketing & sales teams. But not quite sure how long this will continue before things comes out.
    - Uninspiring leadership from management in running customer engagements.
    - Glory days are over and not a good place for software developers as there are not much imaginative work happening here.

Advice to Management

Need to trim middle management, eliminate bureaucracy and rejuvenate development community before its too late.

Showing 198 of 5,319 reviews