SAS Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Jim Goodnight

1,001 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance seems to be a thing of the past (in 19 reviews)

• On balance SAS is a great place to work (in 21 reviews)

1. "Top-Notch Culture"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

Everyone at SAS is always so kind and approachable. The culture is top-notch and everyone truly makes you feel welcome here. Working at SAS gives you the confidence and encouragement that everyone around you wants you to be at your best, which is why the work-life balance is incomparable.

Cons

I have no bad things to say about SAS. Everyone I have encountered in my time here has been wonderful.

"Mostly a great company"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

Work life balance is respected.
    Some very talented people.
    Good benefits.
    Compensation is generous for certain roles.
    In their niche SAS have the best technology available.

Cons

Strange cult like management structure.
    Company is run by dictates coming from the very top.
    Career advancement is limited unless you are in the secret circle.
    Remote employees are second class citizens.
    Company focuses too much on home state.
    Benefits have been eroding year on year.
    Too much unnecessary travel by managers to pad their awards accounts.
    We think we have to write everything ourselves.
    R&D over engineers technology.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing so much on North Carolina and try to broaden your horizons. Stop the backsliding of benefits. Speak to everyone in the company about a career path.

3. "Mostly great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most SAS employees are happy to work here and are a pleasure to work with. The work/life balance makes for an overall superior quality of life. I couldn't imagine raising kids and balancing work if my employer didn't promote such a family friendly culture.

SAS may not be an industry leader in compensation but the pay is competitive and the benefits are some of the best you will find.

Cons

SAS technology has been perceived to be a bit out-dated by the industry over the past few years but SAS is working on some very exciting new offerings that hopefully will turn that perception around.

The occasional Upper Decker in the men's rest room.

4. "SAS is Great"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

I really enjoy working at SAS. I know there are some teams that are not as great as others, but I'm on a great team. I have excellent managers and excellent colleagues.

Cons

Salary is a little low. But I guess the benefits are meant to offset the salary. I've worked for bad companies in the past, and SAS isn't one of them.

Advice to Management

We should probably move a hair faster than we are responding to competition. Think out of the box and let's be more proactive (instead of reactive) to the challenges.

"Makes life easier"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge time and cost saving conveniences such as Healthcare (including vaccinations), Hair Salon, Child Care, Gym, Concierge Car Buying service, DMV services (Real ID), lactation consultants (and free use of hospital grade pumps), multiple cafeterias, personal catering service... just to name a few.
    Annual increases.

Cons

Sometimes lack of variety of work.

"RIP SAS"

Former Employee - Sales in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Sales in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is true. Too True. Benefits are very good especially if you are in Cary. Great place to work if you are an admin, HR or some support function. These people run SAS as the Deep State runs the government.

Cons

If you want to get something done it is tough to get your fellow SAS people to work. Everyone is "retired in place."
    Analytics is the 4th hottest sector right now and SAS has zero growth.
    Old technology, old thinking.
    Open source is going to kill SAS like Linux killed Sun. It is already happening.
    Customers HATE SAS. Hard to deal with, expensive. Old thinking.
    SAS is broken down into kingdoms. You have to get approval from six Kingdoms every time you want to get something done. So the end result is, no new things ever get done.
    I was there for four years, in that time every new product they came out with failed. Every one.
    They hate salespeople. No respect for sales at all in this company. They are surprisingly open about this fact.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone who is Director and above and bring in outside people who know what they are doing. It is almost too late.

7. "Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Solid company with good people who put the customer first. Not a publicly traded company so less of those pressures and can instead do what is right. Incredible benefits if you are based in Cary, NC at HQ.

Cons

working outside of "the mother ship" in Cary, means less ability to take advantage of the amazing benefits SAS offers. (Onsite healthcare, fitness center, day care, car wash, dry cleaning, massage, salon, food to go, etc.)

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, awesome benefits, beautiful campus, very family oriented

Cons

Pay not as high as other tech companies

"Sales Operations Graduate Intern"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, friendly coworkers and managers, wonderful perks working in HQ (starbucks, break rooms, cafeterias, gyms, walking trails, softball and soccer fields, etc.)

Cons

Don't receive many in-depth experience building projects. Feel like some employees don't want to take the time to teach skills necessary to complete more complex projects. Experience feels limited and talent development within my BU is low. Great intern program leaders; however, poor experience with leaders within BU.

Advice to Management

Place way more importance on developing talent of interns and increasing their skills and experience. This shows employees that you value their presence and want to see them succeed.

"Great for employees, a nightmare for contractors"

Current Employee - Contractor in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Contractor in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

35 hour work week and lots of amenities for employees. Beautiful campus, and reasonably good cafes all over. Excellent benefits for full time employees.

Cons

The incredible benefits afforded to the employees of SAS are a double-edged sword. If you are a contractor, you'll probably be hired without them explaining the 35 hour work week, nor will they inform you of the mandatory, unpaid holiday break. It isn't fun to find out that you'll be out a week's pay with no recourse, unexpectedly. You'll also receive lots of emails from corporate detailing exciting events and gatherings that you'll be barred from attending. There also seems to be almost no way to get hired permanently at SAS if you are a contractor. If you're hired as a contractor, it is almost certainly because they have absolutely no intention of ever permanently filling that role, no matter what they tell you.

Advice to Management

Be honest and forthcoming with how things are run at SAS with any contractors. Wonderful things you take for granted can end up causing your contractors to scramble to figure out how they are going to make ends meet. Make it mandatory that this information is passed on ahead of time so that contractors can make a fully-educated decision when it comes time to commit to working at SAS.

Showing 1,001 of 1,078 reviews