SAS Institute "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 31, 2020

3.8
SAS Institute CEO Jim Goodnight
Jim Goodnight

"Used to be great, but lately..."

I worked at SAS Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance, salary, ability to work remotely

Cons

No career planning, annual reviews (at least in my department) non-existent, annual variable compensation planning rarely completed before October, continued erosion of previously offered benefits

SAS Institute2018-10-23

"SAS System Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

SAS is an odd one. I've gone back and forth on how I should write this review, simply because your happiness and success really does depend on the team and the product you are working on. I work with a smaller group and the entire team is completely tight knit, looks out for one another, and makes coming to work a pleasure. I find the pay fair for the industry, the work challenging, a great sense of autonomy in what I work on, and my coworkers smart, eager to help, and passionate about what they do. I've also heard the horror stories from other teams. I guess that's the same as anywhere, though. Sometimes you just get lucky and land on a good project. I count myself lucky, and happy to be here at SAS. Some Pros: - Good work/life balance. People work a good solid 9-5 (or 8-4) and although several people login over the weekend to do work, it is not mandated and I've never felt like it was required. If I ever work the weekend it is because I want to catch up on something I've fallen behind on. - Total compensation package is nice. Insurance has been getting a little weaker with each year, but compare that to what my friends get at other companies and SAS is still ahead of the curve. Bonuses are small, but a nice thank you when they come around, and travel to events and conferences is encouraged as long as their is some budget for them. - Flexible work when needed. If I need to work remote, that's supported, and having that option for the days you simply need to handle stuff at home, or with the little ones, is worth a lot to me. - I never feel like someone is watching over my shoulder, but frequently feel like my team has my back. It's a good feeling.

Cons

The biggest con for me at SAS is since this entire company is pretty flatly structured, and there are so many lifers at SAS (and I don't blame them, I hope to be one) that promotions and career advancement can be slow or non-existent. Now, that's not to say that you won't be developing your career. I feel the autonomy my manager allows gives me quite a bit of freedom on how and what I am working on, and basically makes me a little manager of one. I am tasked to solve problems in the way I see fit, and if they don't hold up, they'll be scrutinized, critiqued by my teammates, and I make improvements. That being said, those that crave direction and a solid career path may get frustrated here. - The company isn't super high-tech when it comes to using the latest and greatest technology, but certain teams do have some pull if they want to use more industry standard software or trends. We still develop on a Waterfall development model, have a good amount of automation, but everything feels stuck somewhere in the early 2010s. Definitely not bleeding edge development tools being used at SAS, but not stuck in the past either. It's somewhere in the middle. Since that sort of falls on my purview, and since I am encouraged to innovate, I feel that is something I can directly improve, however... and I'm working on doing just that.

SAS Institute2018-11-28
  3. "Chill, collaborative, welcome"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at SAS Institute

Pros

Amazing work-life balance, friendly and collaborative people, amazing benefits, and you get to work on very impactful projects

Cons

Pay is not as competitive, and work sometimes feels slow. Also, turnover rate is extremely low and it is difficult to get promoted

SAS Institute2018-11-03
  4. "Great place to Intern"

Current Intern - Technical Intern in Cary, NC

I have been working at SAS Institute for more than a year

Pros

Amazing work/life balance Great facilities Awesome people and a great place to grow

Cons

The pay is not as high as neighboring tech companies Cary, NC is not that exciting of a town

SAS Institute2018-10-22
  5. "Receptionist"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company that values work/life balance.

Cons

Work load can be slow at times.

SAS Institute2018-10-11

"Amazing HQ, Questionable Management"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

Excellent work life balance, amazing food and activities on campus

Cons

Lack of HR transparency, low management standards.

SAS Institute2018-08-28

"Good place to learn the software development cycle"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. good place to learn the software development cycle if you are at a developer position. 2. good perks. 3. good work life balance. 4. low turn over rate.

Cons

1. low turn over rate. (if you are expecting a fast growing and vibrant company culture). 2. salary is not comparable to other top tech or software company.

SAS Institute2018-08-21
  8. "Great work place"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

Work - Life balance and great benefits

Cons

Management cannot make decisions very well

SAS Institute2018-08-10
  9. "Lack of in-person collaboration"

I have been working at SAS Institute full-time

Pros

great benefits and work/life balance

Cons

If you work in a regional office or remotely you will probably be by yourself most of the time

SAS Institute2018-08-23

"RIP SAS"

Former Employee - Sales in Cary, NC

I worked at SAS Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance is true. Too True. Benefits are very good especially if you are in Cary. Great place to work if you are an admin, HR or some support function. These people run SAS as the Deep State runs the government.

Cons

If you want to get something done it is tough to get your fellow SAS people to work. Everyone is "retired in place." Analytics is the 4th hottest sector right now and SAS has zero growth. Old technology, old thinking. Open source is going to kill SAS like Linux killed Sun. It is already happening. Customers HATE SAS. Hard to deal with, expensive. Old thinking. SAS is broken down into kingdoms. You have to get approval from six Kingdoms every time you want to get something done. So the end result is, no new things ever get done. I was there for four years, in that time every new product they came out with failed. Every one. They hate salespeople. No respect for sales at all in this company. They are surprisingly open about this fact.

SAS Institute2018-04-25