SAS Shoes Reviews | Glassdoor

Nancy Richardson

1. "Excellent"

Former Employee - Cafeteria Worker in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Cafeteria Worker in Mission Viejo, CA

Pros

Outstanding management in a service oriented Capacity.

Cons

Temporary employment in a training situation

Good

"Moving On"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at SAS Shoes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The shoes are very comfortable but not a lot in in the way of looks.

Cons

Numerous employee and customer complaints which has caused both to stray away from this company. Upper management doesn't listen.

Advice to Management

You've had so many good people leave you. Why won't you listen to your retail staff?

Feb 17, 2017 – SAS Representative

It’s understandable that we may not be a fit for you at this time. We are taking your feedback into consideration and we wish you the best as you move on.

"JustFab....Not!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at SAS Shoes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I look forward to the ultimate demise of this company. So I guess that would be considered a pro. I have predicted that this company would go under within 5 years. That was a year ago so it has roughly 4 years left.

Cons

Worst. Company. Ever.

People used to love this company until the corporate higher ups decided they needed to sell foreign shoes in a SAN ANTONIO based company. Italian garbage sold at stupid crazy prices. Mexican made shoe parts passed off as "American Made". The people have spoken, and that's why we have all stopped buying your product (Because it's not really your product anymore).

Advice to Management

Ask for forgiveness and just maybe your customers will return.

Feb 10, 2017 – SAS Representative

We are sorry you feel so negatively about our company and product. While many shoe companies have outsourced their production, we at SAS stick firmly to keeping our production in our own factories ... More

"SALES"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SAS Shoes (More than 10 years)

Pros

The comfort and quality of original styles are hard to beat.

Cons

Company philosophy is no longer valued. The people that made the positive difference have been dismissed.

Advice to Management

The newest CEO must be removed !

Sep 19, 2016 – SAS Representative

Your feedback is valued and we thank you for sharing it. We're disappointed to learn you feel so negatively about your tenure at SAS. The company has undergone many changes over the past few years to ... More

"Confessions from a Real (and gratefully former) District Manager for SAS"

Former Employee - District Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SAS Shoes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SAS used to be the greatest place on earth to work for. When I first joined the company I couldn’t get over how much of a family environment it was. It was hard to call something “work” when you enjoyed what you did so much. The pay was never “great” but it was something a lot of people were willing to overlook because of so much else this company offered that you just couldn’t put a price tag on. This company used to stand for something great and gave its employees something to be a part of and believe in.
    At its peak we had a thriving customer base and little to no competition to stand against us. We made ALL of our shoes in America, by American workers, and it was something that we were proud of and our customers greatly appreciated. We had such an outstanding reputation in the industry that we didn’t need to bother with commercial advertisement due to the popularity and “word-of-mouth” we would receive from customers about the quality and comfort of our shoe line.

We USED to sell the greatest product that was ALL "Made in America". We USED to have one of the greatest reputations in the country. We USED to care deeply for our employees and SAS family members. We USED to believe in the dream Terry and Lou started back in 1976. We USED to provide the absolute best in customer service but have now completely alienated the very customer base that got us to the top in the first place. So what went wrong?

Cons

Yes it is very true that every retail company needs to stay on top of an ever-changing environment if it wants to stay in business. Unfortunately, SAS is a textbook case of how not to go about making changes in the world of retail.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
    They have successfully (and I mean that in the worst way) found a way to cut out the very customers that made them what they were. They went from high quality relationship selling to “get-their-money-and-out-of-the-store” transactional selling.

HOSPITALITY
    Terry firmly believed that you treated your customers as if you would a guest in your home, and that your customers always leave your store as a friend. He was such a huge believer in hospitality that it kind of got out of hand at one point. This is one aspect that I will agree the company needed to change, but not abandon. Our company was known everywhere for our hospitality and customer service. I would constantly have customers joke with me at the stores about how they would shop here for the $150 chocolate truffle and get a free pair of shoes thrown in as a bonus. It was that kind of environment that made it such a joy to work with customers every single day. I understand changes were needed. I understand that where something nice is set in place, you will have people ready to take advantage of it. But nobody said you had to give away costly truffles and shortbread cookies all day long. You could have just as easily had your managers by bags of inexpensive Jolly Rancher hard candies and had gotten the exact same smile on the customers faces and saved a ton of money in the process. But instead you gave away one of the very things that made you different from all the other shoe stores out there. You gave away one of the very things that made you golden SAS. The one thing that made customers say “yeah the shoes are expensive, but you know what? It’s worth it!”

REVIEWS
    The person who posted the “AIMCC” review was truly a district manager for this company at one time and I couldn’t agree with their review more. What they said was 100% spot on and true. What I find absolutely hilarious is the company’s poor attempt at damage control over the sudden increase in negative reviews. From their cookie cutter responses, to their downright fake reviews posted by the company themselves (I’m looking at you “DISTRICT MANAGER” review).

TURNOVER
    This company has had tremendous turnover in the past eight months that there is no amount of positive spin the company can put on it to explain to its employees why these people have left. It has become somewhat of a running joke as to who will be announced in our email from corporate about who has left the company this week. I’m talking about long time employees. People who have been with this company for 20, 25, & 30 plus years. People who gave their heart and soul into this company. Just from a district manager perspective there have been seven (count ‘em, 7!) district managers that have left this company in the last 8 months. Every single one of these people earned their right to be in that position, but left due to what’s going on internally in this company. It boils down to poor leadership from the top that absolutely refuses to listen to sound reason from those that bridge the gap between the stores and the corporate level.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the Payless Shoes mentality. What works for Payless, will not work for SAS no matter how hard you try. My advice to management is that you should just change the name and start over if you are so dead set on changing from “Quality Made”, “Reasonably Priced” and “American Made” to “cheaply made”, “overpriced”, and “Foreign Made”. Shame on you for disrespecting the very customers and employees that have given you so much love, service, and repeat business over the last 40 years.
    I’m so sorry Terry. I’m just glad you’re at peace now and not able to see what they’ve done to the dream you and Lou had.

May 12, 2016 – SAS Representative

At SAS, we're focused on the future and bringing SAS quality, comfort, style and fit to more people than ever before. With expansion comes change and higher expectations for our brand, our stores and ... More

"AIMCC: Proud of our past; Delusional about our future"

I worked at SAS Shoes full-time

Pros

For those that are willing to sell their soul, there is a lot of opportunity for advancement in the company. You need to be prepared for your effort to exceed your payback however I cannot deny that the room for advancement exists.

There are still some good people left working for SAS at the moment - if you can find those diamonds in the rough, you are a lucky one and you should take whatever lessons you can from them when you have the chance. I was trained by some of the great ones and I'm grateful for that.

While the direction they are taking the company is misguided, they do recognize a need for change. They need the right person to bring it about though which is where their downfall is but recognizing there is a problem is important.

Cons

"American Made":
    · This company was founded on a few principles. Shoes that fit well and were made well, shoes that were comfortable and shoes that were made here in the US. 95% of the dress shoes for women are made in Italy so 10-15 styles of shoes being made are taking jobs away from American workers. There is now a factory in Mexico which the company says is for piecework. The reason this is an issue is not the quality of the work but the fact that the customers are under the belief and the expectation that the shoes they are buying are made in the US BY Americans and the expense of the shoes is partially due to paying decent wages to Americans. The fact is that the reason the factory in Mexico only completes the piecework is so we are legally still able to say the shoes are "assembled in the USA" without lying.

Incentive:
    · This company has no problem lowballing every one of their employees on salary. They do not pay based on what you are worth but the lowest they know you are willing to accept.
    · The company is constantly back ordered on everything that actually sells like black shoe cream, water repellent and shoe cleaner. A store is expected to sell 3 handbags a week yet are too expensive for the bulk of our markets. They are cutting back on carrying special sizes in the stores or classic styles and since special orders are not being fulfilled in a timely fashion the stores don't make their goals and managers don't make their bonuses.
    · We had stores with part timers running the location for up to 6+ months with no manager. In one case, both women were older (one was over 70) and working 8-10 hour days by themselves or 6 days a week the whole time without extra pay and no FT benefits.
    · There have been multiple managers who were found to be living in their stores because either their pay did not support the cost of living or they were moved to stores without the pay or arrangements to stay in a hotel while looking for a home.

Management:
    · The company has double standards and uneven business practices. Corporate employees don’t wear SAS brand shoes, smoke despite a no smoking policy and despite requiring every manager to work Fridays, 2 of the top level employees in SA don’t work Fridays.
    · They are entirely reactive instead of being proactive and as a result, make poor choices just to have A solution even if it's not the RIGHT solution. They do not think things through before they are put into place - releasing new shoes without the stock to support sales, telling managers certain shoes are not included in a sale and then including them on the marketing materials or excluding sale shoes from being ordered so a store with limited stock can't effectively sell to their customers.
    · Store managers have now been instructed if they need anything from corporate, they're to email - not call- and they'll hear back within 48 hours which often leaves customers unable to get an answer to a problem.

Care of customers & product:
    · Employees are now instructed to keep their interactions with customers short and instead of working with them one on one which SAS has always been known for, they are to multitask between customers to keep transaction times down.
    · Over the last year, I saw a severe increase in the number of shoes being returned as defective - laces coming out of shoes they were sewn into, soles separating from the leather, metal pieces becoming detached from shoes. A pair of Freetime’s that used to last a customer 3-7 years now might last them 2.

Care of employees:
    · In regards to a review from a manager and his/her accusation about OSHA violations. Despite the company's response, that was 100% true. I’ve seen the violations given - blocked fire exits, a blocked staircase and boxes stacked too high. ALL of these relate back to the company not accepting overstock returns. The company also refuses to provide hot water in the bathrooms. The employees are touching feet all day long. Feet that may have issues like athletes foot, toenail fungus etc. and the employees have no hot water to wash their hands.
    · One store in particular that was in a very run down area that was consistently dealing with issues with homeless people and sometimes violent customers and when I tried to convince the company to move the store to a better area, I was told the store should have 911 on their speed dial or just hire a male employee.

Advice to Management

The company goal is listed as: "Keep Terry & Lew's dream alive!" Terry always said he would rather close the company than sell out the quality of the shoes and treatment of the employees. I think the goal has already been killed... Overall, the company can be summed up in one sentence - there is no direction right now for SAS. They are existing purely on their reputation with their dwindling customer base and as they lose them, if they do not learn how to right this ship quickly, it is going to sink soon.

Stop trying to be Coach. Stop alienating your customers. Stop undervaluing your employees. Pay people what they are worth. Get your inventory system under control. Learn how to foresee a problem instead of having to foresee a solution. While the company wouldn't survive without changes, stop trying to change into an entirely different company or just change the name and start over. But you won't do any of these so my real advice is to the employees - look for new jobs now so you don't crash with this company when it goes off the rails.

Apr 11, 2016 – SAS Representative

At the center of SAS's core values is AIMCC, and we are proud of our past and excited for our future. We're sorry SAS was such a negative experience for you. The company has gone through a lot ... More

"OSHA violator!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Brookline, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Brookline, MA

I worked at SAS Shoes (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no positive aspects to working for SAS Shoemakers.

Cons

SAS Shoemakers does not care about the life-safety of its workers. Moreover, SAS Shoemakers operates a factory in Acuna, Mexico, while touting its brand as being American-made. Work for SAS Shoemakers if you are a dishonest person who doesn't mind working in a store with blocked fire exits.

Advice to Management

Get your act together.

May 29, 2015 – SAS Representative

Thank you for your feedback. SAS takes seriously the safety of all workers and immediately investigates any and all safety issues or concerns. SAS would not put any employee in harm's way and ... More

"Worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SAS Shoes full-time

Pros

Most of the employees are great for the most part, 100% American made products, occasional bonus depending on business.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid, zero work-life balance, incompetent upper management, CEO needs to be removed from role, unfair treatment, over step boundaries, No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Managers need to be fully trained and held to higher standards and accountability, better pay in comparison to the market, Compensation for working on weekends if you're M-F only. Fire all senior management and start over!! Promote employees based on the work, not the length of time with the company. Learn the business before making decisions solely based on yourself.

Jun 29, 2015 – SAS Representative

Thank you for taking a moment to share your personal experience while working at SAS. We feel fortunate to be able to reward our employees, even in a tough business climate, with incentives like the ... More

"Poorly run, small, vindictive people"

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at SAS Shoes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No brainer job. No benefits. Low pay.

Cons

P/T get better treatment than F/T.

Advice to Management

Management needs a serious training.

Jan 27, 2016 – SAS Representative

Thank you for your feedback. At SAS, We're always looking for ways to improve and we'll explore your recommendation for additional training.

"SAS Shoes, Inc"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Viera, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Viera, FL

Pros

This job is rewarding when you give the customer the comfort of knowing they are going to get great customer service; as well as, one hundred percent, fine hand-crafted leather shoes, and purses. SAS Shoes aren't the most hip shoes, but they will definitely be the most comfortable shoe you have had ever wore. These shoes are great for people suffering from back pain, feet pain (bunions), and diabetes.
    There are clean white socks and footies to offer the customers if they're wearing sandals or not any socks.

Cons

At my location, we were very slow at nights- maybe five customers in a six hour shift.
    If you have an aversion to feet, then do not work . In order to make the customers feel comfortable, you have to treat them like royalty (take off their shoes and socks, measure their feet.
    You also have to put on their socks

Advice to Management

SAS management treated their employees with respect and offered great benefits. During the holidays, each employee is given a care package as well as a small bonus check.