SAY Media Reviews | Glassdoor

SAY Media Reviews

Updated Mar 4, 2019

Found 83 reviews

3.1
SAY Media CEO Matt Sanchez  (no image)
Matt Sanchez
Pros
Cons
  • "employee value to upper management varies widely between departments(in 7 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

"This is as good as it gets"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SAY Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is an evolving, adventurous company unafraid to take risks and make changes. That's tough for some - and the environment isn't for everyone - but can be incredibly exciting if you have the right attitude! Great, fun, amazing people. Great culture if it you can go with the flow and roll up your sleeves.

Cons

There can be a lot of upheaval and change but in digital media thats not necessarily a bad thing. You gotta keep moving.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on! Be open and honest with your people and they'll go on the ride with you.

SAY Media2016-04-07
  2. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at SAY Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Over my time there was able to learn a lot and work with a lot of smart people!

Cons

Went through a lot of changes during my time there.

SAY Media2019-03-04
  3. "Wild Rollercoaster Ride"

I worked at SAY Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

- interesting work - you’ll learn a lot - “unlimited” PTO - casual / dog friendly office - free coffee/snacks/beer/cider

Cons

- low pay (this is an issue throughout most departments) - different departments are given varying levels of freedom (wfh policies are inconsistent, ability to take advantage of the unlimited PTO, etc.) - employee value to upper management varies widely between departments - if someone leaves, they most likely won’t be replaced, everyone else mostly just has to pick up the slack (compounds over time) -... the entire merger was handled horribly on all sides and left most Say employees feeling like we were disposable to new management - consistent uncertainty of how the company is doing even when management is telling you that everything is going to be fine

Advice to Management

Don't treat people like pawns and pay them what they are worth - you lose valuable knowledge and skill when they leave My CEO rating is both for the previous and new CEOs

SAY Media2019-02-04
  4. "Constant chaos and uncertainty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at SAY Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited vacation Work and Life balance

Cons

Volatile industry Lack of potential growth Company lacks direction

Advice to Management

The merger is the best chance for rebuilding employee faith. The constant changes and uncertainty is taking a big toll on your staff.

SAY Media2018-12-19

"Used to be a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at SAY Media full-time

Pros

A few genuinely creative and hardworking people in the mix; casual dress in the office; dog-friendly office; and unlimited paid vacation (though no one ever takes it due to pressures from mgmt). The people that work here have become my family over the years, unfortunately, as moral has gotten extremely low over the last few years, friendships and company culture have become superficial and nonexistent. There is a... level of distrust now that has tainted relationships at all levels. If you are good at paving your own way and not needing a manager tell you what to do, there are opportunities to grow and snatch positions that you wouldn't have normally be offered. Your position is what you make of it.

Cons

Highly disorganized, chaotic, cross-office collaboration is non-existent. Junior designers are expected (without a pay raise) to step up and take over Senior management work when upper-level management gets laid off. Whatever your salary offer is at Say Media, double it and that is what you should be getting paid. What used to be an innovative place to work 5 years ago has now become a production factory.... Lacking in training opportunities. Expect to manage not only your own workload but your own career growth Management is stretched thin and lacks the time/resources High turnover, continuously reinvents itself which puts a huge strain on the folks in lower level positions. Say Media boasts transparency, flexibility, and a forward-thinking culture but in reality, this is a toxic environment that is just smoke and mirrors. It's hard to trust anything upper-level management says anymore. CEO has been trying to sell the company for a number of years without luck. Lot's of layoffs at the end of the year, every year, to try to prepare for potential sell. Don't work here if you are looking for stability and innovation.

Advice to Management

Trust your team. Be transparent. Support safe and healthy work environments. Compensate people fairly for the work they are doing.

SAY Media2017-10-24

"Project Management"

I worked at SAY Media full-time

Pros

The people, snacks, and dogs.

Cons

Management is not transparent at all, they cut people left and right without reason. Moral is low and HR is terrible. Definitely steer clear.

Advice to Management

Respect your people.

SAY Media2017-07-15

"Growing pains, high turnover"

I have been working at SAY Media

Pros

Talented people, flexible schedule, limitless vacation day policy

Cons

High turnover, continuously reinvents itself

SAY Media2017-03-15

"Hard to recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible and challenging work environment. Typical startup style in that there is more to do than there are people to do it, so for self-starters and motivated folks this can mean a lot of opportunities to get your hands dirty and learn new things. Good vacation policy and work-life balance.

Cons

In my last 3 year stretch there I had at least four different managers. The company re-orgs constantly, and with that, goals get changed and lost all the time. Also the company seems to have settled into a pattern of miscalculating the market every two years or so, and responding with widespread layoffs. This is a cycle I saw repeat itself multiple times. Also underpays for internal hires. Within two months of... leaving I received an offer for 20% over my last wage at Say, and my suspicion is they considered that a bargain.

Advice to Management

Don't jerk your employees around, and don't try to do too many things at once, but make sure that whoever is deciding what to actually do is plugged in and committed and really understands the market. Figure out how to break out of the cycle of being reactive to everything, and find a way to be a leader again.

SAY Media2017-02-05

"Associate Creative Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very proactive leadership. Great work atmosphere and wonderful studio morale.

Cons

Company changes directions quite often.

SAY Media2017-01-18

"Sale Executive"

I worked at SAY Media

Pros

- Great People - Small Company perks - Creative Environment - Commission based (no cap)

Cons

- Frequent change of products - Employee Turnover - Managers not alway transparent - Can be political - Not always stable

Advice to Management

- be more transparent - reward focused employees

SAY Media2016-12-05