SAY Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Matt Sanchez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • High turnover, continuously reinvents itself (in 2 reviews)

• Time, money and morale wasted on projects that get abandoned (in 2 reviews)

"Hard to recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible and challenging work environment. Typical startup style in that there is more to do than there are people to do it, so for self-starters and motivated folks this can mean a lot of opportunities to get your hands dirty and learn new things. Good vacation policy and work-life balance.

Cons

In my last 3 year stretch there I had at least four different managers. The company re-orgs constantly, and with that, goals get changed and lost all the time. Also the company seems to have settled into a pattern of miscalculating the market every two years or so, and responding with widespread layoffs. This is a cycle I saw repeat itself multiple times. Also underpays for internal hires. Within two months of leaving I received an offer for 20% over my last wage at Say, and my suspicion is they considered that a bargain.

Advice to Management

Don't jerk your employees around, and don't try to do too many things at once, but make sure that whoever is deciding what to actually do is plugged in and committed and really understands the market. Figure out how to break out of the cycle of being reactive to everything, and find a way to be a leader again.

2. "Project Management"

I worked at SAY Media full-time

Pros

The people, snacks, and dogs.

Cons

Management is not transparent at all, they cut people left and right without reason. Moral is low and HR is terrible. Definitely steer clear.

Advice to Management

Respect your people.

3. "Growing pains, high turnover"

Pros

Talented people, flexible schedule, limitless vacation day policy

Cons

High turnover, continuously reinvents itself

4. "Associate Creative Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very proactive leadership. Great work atmosphere and wonderful studio morale.

Cons

Company changes directions quite often.

"Sale Executive"

Pros

- Great People
    - Small Company perks
    - Creative Environment
    - Commission based (no cap)

Cons

- Frequent change of products
    - Employee Turnover
    - Managers not alway transparent
    - Can be political
    - Not always stable

Advice to Management

- be more transparent
    - reward focused employees

6. "Never Afraid to Change"

I have been working at SAY Media full-time

Pros

- All the people are great here- I've never seen anyone want to leave because of personalities
    - Has a great business strategy going forward
    - Comes from a place of great technological innovation, and is still contributing a lot in open source
    - Has recently become amazing at inter-department communication & collaboration thanks to having offices in multiple cities and being remote-work friendly
    - Puts a lot of effort into making things work both professionally and interpersonally
    - Does a lot to accommodate employees with special needs thanks to its wonderful HR Manager

Cons

- Has had to sacrifice a lot due to pivoting the business
    - Relies on drinking too much as a social activity
    - Doesn't have a lot of room to grow a career here without others leaving & probably won't for the next 1-2 years
    - Isn't sure how to really integrate Sales with the pace of the technological side of the business

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees sooner. Don't hand down decisions with little explanation as to why it was picked over other strategies. Learn how to use your employees' strengths and support their weaknesses better. Be more open with employees on a more individual level- you're a startup, and you need to get a better pulse on your people than what you've previously been used to.

"This is as good as it gets"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an evolving, adventurous company unafraid to take risks and make changes. That's tough for some - and the environment isn't for everyone - but can be incredibly exciting if you have the right attitude! Great, fun, amazing people. Great culture if it you can go with the flow and roll up your sleeves.

Cons

There can be a lot of upheaval and change but in digital media thats not necessarily a bad thing. You gotta keep moving.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on! Be open and honest with your people and they'll go on the ride with you.

"It was good while it lasted, but the ship is going down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are SO many great things about Say, first and foremost the people here are amazing. The culture is great but it has been going downhill over the years.

The office is pretty lax and casual, no one cares what time you come in or what time you leave. Unlimited time off is always a plus. Commuter benefits are top notch. The occasional meal. Because I've been here for so long I have some of the old perks like a company phone. The medical benefits are ok, they were a lot better but these are also going downhill with the state of the company.

Work is very challenging, always changing and keeping you on your toes. It is never boring at Say.

Cons

Although Say is an enjoyable environment most of the time, as a company it is so unorganized. They have changed their place out in market too many times for anyone to take them seriously. From Video Egg to a network at Say, to O&O sites with many ad products, to selling off the O&Os to focus on the CMS platform, there are just too many changes for them to be successful at this stage of the game.

When I started it was at the peak of Say, with over 450 global employees. Many years later we are at 100 globally. This company keeps on shrinking with the sinking ship. Teams are completely dissolved with no warning and many times loyal and good employees are abandoned at the drop of a hat, with only one month of severance.

There are no actual plans to make anything better, a lot of things are swept under the rug and the technology is so outdated it's impossible to be competitive. There haven't been any raises in years. Because of the downsizing people get overworked making up for the lack of talent. I ended up having about 5 jobs in one (which can also be a pro in the start up world).

Also Say can not manage money in any real way. With investors going bankrupt, there is a real money issue that effects relationships with partners. People won't want to work with Say if payments continue to get delayed for months/years on end. This is very very bad.

My advice to anyone looking into Say for job opportunities is to stay away. Only the Portland office seems to be lasting so if you are a designer or engineer in that area and need something immediate I say take it, but not for long term. This company is very close to either being bought or disbanded, and if Say is acquired I would run far away.

Advice to Management

Figure out your place and stick with it. There are some really good employees but with the way the company has been going many people are fed up and want out. If you can manage your money better there needs to be credit given to the people who work to make Say and Tempest a winning solution for all.

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice people, free food (once weekly breakfast or lunch; source of food changed every time so no chance of food boredom), very nurturing environment.

Cons

Once Videoegg became Say Media, the business changed focus. Eventually, my position was eliminated, and I was laid off along with other engineers.

"Great place to get your career started"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good office culture, very dog friendly.

Cons

Some leadership voids post merger.

Advice to Management

Tough business - keep up the good work and be sure to check in with your employees for feedback on a more regular cadence.