SAY Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 4, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matt Sanchez

Pros
Cons
  • High turnover, continuously reinvents itself (in 2 reviews)

• Time, money and morale wasted on projects that get abandoned (in 2 reviews)

"Hard to recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible and challenging work environment. Typical startup style in that there is more to do than there are people to do it, so for self-starters and motivated folks this can mean a lot of opportunities to get your hands dirty and learn new things. Good vacation policy and work-life balance.

Cons

In my last 3 year stretch there I had at least four different managers. The company re-orgs constantly, and with that, goals get changed and lost all the time. Also the company seems to have settled into a pattern of miscalculating the market every two years or so, and responding with widespread layoffs. This is a cycle I saw repeat itself multiple times. Also underpays for internal hires. Within two months of leaving I received an offer for 20% over my last wage at Say, and my suspicion is they considered that a bargain.

Advice to Management

Don't jerk your employees around, and don't try to do too many things at once, but make sure that whoever is deciding what to actually do is plugged in and committed and really understands the market. Figure out how to break out of the cycle of being reactive to everything, and find a way to be a leader again.

"It was good while it lasted, but the ship is going down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are SO many great things about Say, first and foremost the people here are amazing. The culture is great but it has been going downhill over the years.

The office is pretty lax and casual, no one cares what time you come in or what time you leave. Unlimited time off is always a plus. Commuter benefits are top notch. The occasional meal. Because I've been here for so long I have some of the old perks like a company phone. The medical benefits are ok, they were a lot better but these are also going downhill with the state of the company.

Work is very challenging, always changing and keeping you on your toes. It is never boring at Say.

Cons

Although Say is an enjoyable environment most of the time, as a company it is so unorganized. They have changed their place out in market too many times for anyone to take them seriously. From Video Egg to a network at Say, to O&O sites with many ad products, to selling off the O&Os to focus on the CMS platform, there are just too many changes for them to be successful at this stage of the game.

When I started it was at the peak of Say, with over 450 global employees. Many years later we are at 100 globally. This company keeps on shrinking with the sinking ship. Teams are completely dissolved with no warning and many times loyal and good employees are abandoned at the drop of a hat, with only one month of severance.

There are no actual plans to make anything better, a lot of things are swept under the rug and the technology is so outdated it's impossible to be competitive. There haven't been any raises in years. Because of the downsizing people get overworked making up for the lack of talent. I ended up having about 5 jobs in one (which can also be a pro in the start up world).

Also Say can not manage money in any real way. With investors going bankrupt, there is a real money issue that effects relationships with partners. People won't want to work with Say if payments continue to get delayed for months/years on end. This is very very bad.

My advice to anyone looking into Say for job opportunities is to stay away. Only the Portland office seems to be lasting so if you are a designer or engineer in that area and need something immediate I say take it, but not for long term. This company is very close to either being bought or disbanded, and if Say is acquired I would run far away.

Advice to Management

Figure out your place and stick with it. There are some really good employees but with the way the company has been going many people are fed up and want out. If you can manage your money better there needs to be credit given to the people who work to make Say and Tempest a winning solution for all.

3. "Good things coming"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SAY Media (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, nice people, snacks, decent pay, good product, flexible vacation schedule

Cons

Lots of shifts in business focus, no set career path, recent cutbacks mean we are understaffed

Advice to Management

invest in people's careers to avoid turnover, do more promotion of company

5. "Associate Creative Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really smart founding partners not afraid to shift focus according to industry trends.

Cons

Not the company it used to be with a lot of people leaving/getting laid off.

6. "Great people"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never worked with better folks. Creative, interesting, hardworking (and hard playing!)

Cons

Lack of structure meant job insecurity (also: see the massive layoffs.) Despite stated value of transparency, completely opaque communication with executive team.

Advice to Management

Increase transparency, even if the news is bad. Do your best to remove nepotism and improve career structures for folks outside of dev.

"Enjoyed most colleagues and the work I was responsible for but was disappointed at how quickly things went sour"

Former Employee - Solutions Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Solutions Planner in New York, NY

I worked at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, driven, experienced colleagues that are friendly in and out of the office. Lots of projects to get your hands dirty and take advantage of. Great benefits including reimbursement for transit and cell phone. Advanced products and processes to streamline workflow.

Cons

Too many pivots at the cost of great talent. Sneaky, conniving sales folk who are cut throat in getting there way and are ungrateful to those who help them sell-through and manage campaigns. Upper management does not enforce positive company culture.

Advice to Management

Decide on a strategy and stick with it. Empower your employees to be better versions of themselves. Give bonuses outside of the Sales team. Promote diversity, culture, and mentorship earnestly. Say please and thank you to those who work so hard to make your vision come true.

"Fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Amazing sharp talent. Very social environment, good benefits, unlimited vacation.

Cons

Too many changes, everyone is disposable.

"Great culture, not so great upper management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SAY Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun. good life and work balance. some of them are very very talented.

Cons

no 401k matching. upper management was very baring

"Great people, not so great management practices."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Peers are bright, friendly people, easy to work with, driven and hardworking.

Cons

The company overall doesn't value its employees as much as they should. Although there is a lot of talk of how much of a supportive culture there is at the company, the follow through is dismal. Budgets for employee training & career development via conference participation or educational programs are low or non-existent. Employees who do attend are mostly doing it on their own initiative and taking time off to attend.

A few years ago the company switched from a performance based compensation to a market based compensation model - which basically means your raise is not based on your performance and achievements, its based on where you are already in comparison to market data and raises are based only on promotions and title changes. This is not a good compensation model for a company that is not in a growth period and already had two major pivots and rounds of lay-offs. When there is no growth, there are limited options for promotions no matter how well an employee excels in your position.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Be more humble. Value your employees more, and recognize that it is a large group of people who make business ideas come to life.

"Not for everybody"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SAY Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A handful of extremely intelligent people work at the company, Nice people, free snacks, metro card paid for, pretty good pay.

Cons

The atmosphere (loud music, no quiet space at your desk, open concept). I received very little help with learning new things. Worked extremely long hours - almost 11 hours 5 days a week with no over time. Office had mice in the summer, air conditioning problems. A ton of turn over.

Advice to Management

Stop the constant change. I understand it's a relatively new company, but try something out long enough to know if it's working or not.