SAY Media Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Matt Sanchez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • High turnover, continuously reinvents itself (in 2 reviews)

• Time, money and morale wasted on projects that get abandoned (in 2 reviews)

"This is as good as it gets"

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an evolving, adventurous company unafraid to take risks and make changes. That's tough for some - and the environment isn't for everyone - but can be incredibly exciting if you have the right attitude! Great, fun, amazing people. Great culture if it you can go with the flow and roll up your sleeves.

Cons

There can be a lot of upheaval and change but in digital media thats not necessarily a bad thing. You gotta keep moving.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on! Be open and honest with your people and they'll go on the ride with you.

2. "Most talented group of passionate yet weirdly awesome people I have ever worked with."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture is a lot of fun, expectations are usually very flexible, and people care more about getting a well-tested, long-term solution than just finding hack-y, temporary fixes. Also, dog-friendly office and my coworkers are my friends.

Cons

Lots of business changes have been somewhat weird to work around, and there's sometimes a frustrating disconnect between the engineers and upper management.

Advice to Management

We can't afford to consider tech debt as low-priority forever! The longer it takes for us to do cleanup, the more potential issues we're going to run into in the future.

3. "Lots of challenges and problems to solve!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to make an impact and interesting problems to solve. Great work-life balance with good vacation. The management structure is fairly flat so there is a lot of opportunity to have an opinion in the direction the technology is going. There are a lot of great engineers with a very open attitude towards teaching and learning new things; it's easy to grow here.

Cons

The business has pivoted a few times in the past, which can lead to some disarray, but growing out of startup mode and into a sustained business is not easy to do and sometimes the fat needs to be trimmed.

Advice to Management

Stick with the current plan and grow the technology.

"Such an intelligent, hard working and fun culture...can you beat it?!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of the employees are extremely friendly and truly enjoy working with one another.
    It's refreshing to work for a company where managers take responsibility for their employees and everyone works hard to get the job done. No micromanaging! Amazing culture...it's great to come to work everyday.

Cons

Lots of changes happening, but for the better...

Advice to Management

Definitely keep the lines of communication open. Everyone should have an open door policy and be willing to share the good and the bad with employees. They'll appreciate the honesty in the end.

"I DARE you to find a company with a better culture than Say Media."

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing group of people, great benefits (unlimited vacation....umm...yes, please!) very transparent Senior Executives, extremely laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Company makes a lot of changes (ex: letting go of the President) and can't seem to make up it's mind on their mission statement.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent. As much as the truth may hurt us sometimes, its way better than sweeping it under the rug, or even worse - lying.

"xoJane internship is really enjoyable!"

Current Intern - XoJane Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - XoJane Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at SAY Media as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

nurturing work environment, welcoming, creative input from interns encouraged, can listen to iPod while doing computer work, everyone's open to feedback

Cons

loud-ish music, communication not always super clear, everyone eats lunch at their desks, always either too much work to do or barely any

Advice to Management

More communication with interns is always better, they're less scared of screwing everything up that way

"Working with the best of the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Say culture can't be beat. I always felt like I was surrounded by the best and brightest in the business. People are also genuinely nice, collaboration is key and people never had problems helping or working with other to get something done. Management is approachable and also grouped in to the 'genuinely nice' category.

Cons

Lots of change, but that's the industry-wide and not specific to Say.

8. "The best place I've worked in a long time"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The business side of the house is surprisingly sane, and makes smart decisions even when they're tough. I trust them more than any management team I've seen. The culture is generally good and fosters honest communication and focusing on the long-term goal. There are lots of very smart people doing clever things.

Cons

When people leave the company it often happens very quietly and sometimes people don't learn about it for a long time. A couple of managers have fallen into the empire-building mindset.

"My Overall Experience"

Current Contractor - Production Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Production Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone works hard and is mellow. First time I have not been in a high stress environment but all the work gets done with ease

Cons

You never really know what someone is thinking.

"Creative, smart people, fun culture."

Current Employee - Media Planner in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Media Planner in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time

Pros

SAY is a fast paced environment with a high growth rate. Employees are friendly, qualified and smart. Emphasis on company culture. Office space is super rad, lots of perks and parties. Work hard, play hard atmosphere. Lots of upward career opportunity.

Cons

Some issues surrounding vision of company, though execution is always beautiful. Media and ad space are changing so rapidly, companies like SAY are trying their best to stay on the frontier as things develop.