SAY Media Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Matt Sanchez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great place to work, and I know how unusual that is."

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart, passionate team of coworkers. Large audacious goals that collectively can be achieved. Strong focus on corporate culture, and employee independence

Cons

Even though it's a maturing 400 person business, it's still run as a start-up so that means very carefully managing budgets to growth. So if you'd prefer tons of cushy office and travel perks, probably not the company for you.

2. "The right blend of startup and established company"

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- For a midsized company, plenty of opportunity to make an impact and opportunity to take on new responsibilities
    - Great culture and tons of fun events
    - Solid benefits package and open, 'take what you need' vacation policy
    - Dog friendly office

Cons

- In a company with a high bar/expectations for employees, it can be a challenge to keep up
    - Fast growth and transition from a startup to a more established firm has some challenges in establishing scalable processes

3. "#1 Best place to work, hands down!"

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at plenty of companies throughout my career, and I must say - SAY Media tops them all. Everyone from the CEO down to the intern is cool, personable, and down to earth. The atmosphere is fun and collaborative, and the culture is something that they take very seriously. ( and it shows with every new hire that they make.)

Cons

The erratic turnover/restructuring of the company can be alarming at times, but I guess thats kinda expected from a company of their size, and position in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Happy employees are productive employees.

"Fun, energetic and exciting work environment."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office, even better people. Work hard/play hard attitude. Very creative group- instruments all over the office and music constantly playing in the background. Lots of opportunities for growth at this progressive and dynamic company. No vacation policy- just get your work done!

Cons

Not really a con, but definitely not a place to work if you're not able to roll with the punches and accept change. Lot of growth happening, which always leads to issues.

Advice to Management

Keep being honest and open with employees. Make it clear that there is a lot of change but also a lot of room to grow.

"Creative, smart people, fun culture."

Current Employee - Media Planner in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Media Planner in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time

Pros

SAY is a fast paced environment with a high growth rate. Employees are friendly, qualified and smart. Emphasis on company culture. Office space is super rad, lots of perks and parties. Work hard, play hard atmosphere. Lots of upward career opportunity.

Cons

Some issues surrounding vision of company, though execution is always beautiful. Media and ad space are changing so rapidly, companies like SAY are trying their best to stay on the frontier as things develop.

6. "The best place I've worked in a long time"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The business side of the house is surprisingly sane, and makes smart decisions even when they're tough. I trust them more than any management team I've seen. The culture is generally good and fosters honest communication and focusing on the long-term goal. There are lots of very smart people doing clever things.

Cons

When people leave the company it often happens very quietly and sometimes people don't learn about it for a long time. A couple of managers have fallen into the empire-building mindset.

"Working with the best of the best"

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Say culture can't be beat. I always felt like I was surrounded by the best and brightest in the business. People are also genuinely nice, collaboration is key and people never had problems helping or working with other to get something done. Management is approachable and also grouped in to the 'genuinely nice' category.

Cons

Lots of change, but that's the industry-wide and not specific to Say.

"I DARE you to find a company with a better culture than Say Media."

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing group of people, great benefits (unlimited vacation....umm...yes, please!) very transparent Senior Executives, extremely laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Company makes a lot of changes (ex: letting go of the President) and can't seem to make up it's mind on their mission statement.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent. As much as the truth may hurt us sometimes, its way better than sweeping it under the rug, or even worse - lying.

"Such an intelligent, hard working and fun culture...can you beat it?!"

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of the employees are extremely friendly and truly enjoy working with one another.
    It's refreshing to work for a company where managers take responsibility for their employees and everyone works hard to get the job done. No micromanaging! Amazing culture...it's great to come to work everyday.

Cons

Lots of changes happening, but for the better...

Advice to Management

Definitely keep the lines of communication open. Everyone should have an open door policy and be willing to share the good and the bad with employees. They'll appreciate the honesty in the end.

10. "Lots of challenges and problems to solve!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SAY Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to make an impact and interesting problems to solve. Great work-life balance with good vacation. The management structure is fairly flat so there is a lot of opportunity to have an opinion in the direction the technology is going. There are a lot of great engineers with a very open attitude towards teaching and learning new things; it's easy to grow here.

Cons

The business has pivoted a few times in the past, which can lead to some disarray, but growing out of startup mode and into a sustained business is not easy to do and sometimes the fat needs to be trimmed.

Advice to Management

Stick with the current plan and grow the technology.