SBC Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Scott Wolfe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Incredible people make SBC a great place to work"

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had the privilege of working with people from every department, and every title. The people of SBC are talented as hell, intelligent, and incredibly hard working. Many of the negative reviews I've read both before I was hired and current appear to come from people with very limited understanding of both the state of the industry and good work ethic. Other's may have encountered or dealt with "negative" people in the workplace - but short of personality quirks, I have had no trouble with the people I've worked with. It's a very casual enviroment, we're all very sincere and respectful of each other's opinions. Collaboration is something I think SBC does exceptionally well, and is continuing to hone and improve every day as more individuals are given opportunities to prove themselves and contribute to our growth. We're in a state of change, but just about everyone in this industry is or has been for a while now. Those that remain with SBC are truly the best of the best. Every day I am impressed and awed by the strength everyone brings to a challenge, and the ingenuity that grows from great minds working well together. I love what I do, I feel challenged (in a healthy way), and I feel respected by my peers. The past SBC has been described very differently depending on who you speak to, and ultimately, it's future is what I care about. The future of SBC is what the leadership and everyone there now are working toward and contributing to. The leadership is obviously working (tirelessly lately) to ensure SBC thrives even when the climate is not ideal for Agencies.

Cons

I genuinely have no cons.

Advice to Management

I wish everyone truly knew and saw everything you did so there were no more naive comments about current leadership at SBC, cuz it's all bull. Leadership at SBC rocks, and I'm grateful to work with them all.

"Positive change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very bright people and a solid management team. There has been turnover but I feel that it was necessary to build the company into the powerhouse regionally and nationally that it should be. Management is extremely transparent and holds weekly town hall meetings to discuss news that affects the business as well as employee concerns.

Cons

None to speak of. I believe that much of the negativity in previous reviews has been addressed or purged. The current team is clearly on a mission to make SBC a national player.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the teams and positive change

"Think about it."

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time

Pros

The place is well-maintained and clean. Salary is comparable. Good people for the most part. Benefits are adequate.

Cons

Some suits got together and thought an open concept workspace was a great idea. Don't we all love awkward eye contact?! Huge client losses and amateur attempts at new biz resulted in mass exodus.

Advice to Management

I'd love to give advice to management. I really would. Sadly, they'd never take it. Their wise decisions have led to a big, beautiful, empty office space. Management should take a good long look at all those empty desks. They can't be blamed on a single event. They're a culmination of years of managerial mistakes. That new biz pitch where you didn't take a single person who worked on the creative? Mistake. That time you hired a CCO without consulting the CDs? Mistake. And the first thing that popped into your mind when I started this list? That was probably a mistake too. You should all wonder what it was that you've done to put SBC in such a precarious position. If you can't think of anything, then congratulations on being the biggest mistake of them all.

"Too bad..."

I worked at SBC Advertising full-time

Pros

Good parking, close to downtown,

Cons

Leadership is unmotivating, currently giving no raises

Advice to Management

Fire your President and get someone who knows how to win business

"Account Coordinator"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at SBC Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gorgeous office. Amazing team (or what's left of it). Free Diet Coke. Sunny Cafe Area. Insane Office Parties.

I did learn a lot during my time at SBC for which I'm very grateful. I made connections that benefit me to this and friends and memories I'll never forget. It's a shame SBC did a 180.

Cons

CUBICLES (although I hear some changes are happening), executive leadership is out of touch and out for blood, silos, zero interdepartmental communication, out of date social tactics, a very "business as usual" kind of agency.

Aside from a pretty gorgeous office, SBC is anything but your stereotypical agency. From cubicles, departments that have silo walls so high you don't even know who works in the dept, sexual harassment, and a serious lack of diversity; SBC doesn't seem to have a lot going for it (or maybe it does and losing key accounts is part of their overall strategy). It's a shame because there were/are some really talented people at SBC, but management is too out of touch to understand the relationships and value those team members provide to the agency. The pay is below average, the work boring, and it's a PC-friendly agency. Creatives get Macs, but outside of that hope you're a fan of Windows.

Advice to Management

Maybe it would benefit Management to evaluate the strength of employees and the rapport they have with clients before terminating them. It also might be a good idea to focus on agency strategy and mission rather than who to cut next. Encourage strong teams that make big WINS for the entire agency, and not just themselves.

"Account Executive"

Pros

willing to review for a higher position within 6 months

Cons

wanted me to do the job of an SAE for an AE title and compensation

"isn't what you would expect."

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ummm. Location. Love being across the street from huntington park. You can wear anything you want, which is great when you have an old navy wardrobe budget...except when meeting with a client. And free parking, for the most part. If you have to park in the lot in the back 50, you are screwed. terrifying to walk there at night.

Cons

Look, I know Millennials are known for being spoiled, but that isn't me. My mother drilled in me the drive to be a hard worker. But, what SBC sold me on, when I was interviewing and before I started working here, is totally different from what working at SBC is all about.

All through my time at CCAD, I had numerous people tell me there were two employers in CBUS that I should try and get a job with. Resource and SBC.

So I interviewed, and the HR lady was all about we're a family. We play hard. We work hard. It's exciting. You'll work on some really cool accounts. It was a picture I couldn't help but fall in love with.

Then I started working there. The people are miserable! They aren't mean or anything, they are so incredibly unhappy. All I hear from them is that things used to be so much better when "DD" was the CEO. The agency used to thrive, with new clients coming left and right. I saw pictures on our Intranet of parties that don't happen any more. it's horrible!!

What makes things worse is that the executives promote this... really mean ... and I mean really really mean attitude. I've overheard fellow employees talking about other employees. I've heard the executives say horrible things about each other. And one guy really makes me..... feel uncomfortable. I can't say anything because he's high up in company. He's made me cry twice because he said I was worthless to my best friend/co-worker. And u can't say anything!! There was this really cute guy... a creative director... or something. and he was fired because he said something or someone overhead him ... i don't know. and they just fired him! And he was so incredible at what he did. And the CEO is the worst. He's never there and the last time I saw him... he looked at me like I was a piece of filth because I dared to say, 'Hi'. :(

And the really worst part about it, is, that we have lost so many clients that there isn't enough work to go around. Someone you see one day is gone the next, and nobody tells us anything. I'm so sad and miserable, but I need this job. Just stay away. there are other agencies. I've already started looking. My heart is broken. I thought this would be so cool. it's not.

Advice to Management

stop being so nasty. win some work. all everyone does is talk about leaving and how mean you are. And let your people have a life!!! I'm tired working 7 days a week and not able to take any vacation because you laid off so many people.

"Salary"

I worked at SBC Advertising full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, good team environment

Cons

Management shake up has had positive results

"Setting the record straight"

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time

Pros

I have been working at SBC for quite a while, seen several different owners and management teams come through. Experienced the highs and lows of this business, there have been plenty over the years. I never paid much attention to these types of sites until a coworker mentioned it to me. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, and I would never directly discount how someone feels. Shame on those that do.

SBC is certainly in a time of transition. For those that have been in advertising for a while, we know clients will come and go. It's never easy loosing clients, aside from the financial impact to the business, there is an emotional toll too. There are friendships and working relationships that can get dislodged, individuals worry about their jobs. Agencies that have been around for a while know how to navigate this, first and foremost you have to get new clients and continue to pitch for new business, you never stop pitching, ever. I believe SBC has on-boarded about 4 new clients within the last 6 months, with several new business pitches in cue. In my opinion, the advertising landscape has evolved dramatically over the last few years and will continue. I see comments that talk about how good it used to be, and I agree that SBC's past has been very impressive and I am happy to have played a role, but there were just as many challenges back then as there are today. The only difference is now there is an online forum for us to share our views.

It is interesting, if you go back far enough and read the SBC reviews, people say a lot of the same things about the previous leadership and owners of SBC. It is clear that a business will always have a certain amount of employees that are just not happy. I would also think that there aren't many that were asked to leave a job that are not disgruntled to even the smallest level. Some of the latest reviews, I have to admit seem like they are written by some of the same people based upon the context and wording. Honestly, I may be totally off base in stating that opinion, but I say that as someone who has been at this agency for a very longtime. Some comments do not even make any sense in the context of the day to day business. Everyone works hard, that is agency life, not just at SBC. The advertising business in general is fast-paced and a demanding business, clients have high expectations and want the most for their money. We always strive to deliver on those expectations. Some say that there is no work-life balance because of being so busy at SBC and others say they sit around without much to do. I put that on their individual managers and would say employees have to be accountable as well. One of the best things about working at SBC is they don't micromanage here, if you are good at what you do, you will elevate your coworkers and make clients happy. It's truly that simple. From that comes opportunity and growth. Like any business if you falter, continue to make mistakes time and time again, you wont be successful. People can try to push that blame on others, but we are responsible for our own actions (or inaction). This company does reward it's employees and celebrate it's success, I have been on the positive side of that equation several times.

I will agree with those that have said SBC used to be a business that seemed to have its favorites, although I feel a lot of business' are like that when you get down to the core. The new CEO doesn't seem to be rooted in that philosophy though, he has made some personnel changes (that I have even questioned myself) that should prove that point.

The company does try to say thanks to it's staff of employees for all of the efforts. Great summer and holiday parties are a longstanding tradition at SBC. Only comment I would say here is it would be nice to bring our significant others to holiday parties like we used to a few years ago. I realize the expense, but I have heard the same from several others. Most recently the company has even passed out annual 'Perks' to the entire staff. Everyone is given around $150 each to spend on all kids of things from massages to gym memberships, even gift cards. I have never experienced or heard of that at other places I have been involved with.

The bottom line, you should work where you are happy. I think many might find the grass isn't all that greener working someplace else. But it is what you make of it. I like the challenge of working at SBC, I like the team I work with and most of the people I see everyday. Could I work someplace else, yes. Would it be better, maybe. But I love being in advertising, I love the challenge of winning new business. I want to work with people that share similar passions. SBC has been home to me for a long time, and I appreciate the opportunities I have been given.

Cons

Any business will have it's cons, just as our own life throws us obstacles regularly. I was never a big fan when we allowed our Digital group to beak away and form it's own company. While we still collaborate with that team on a regular basis, I feel it has left a void that is challenging to fill. On a positive note, we have very recently rebuilt the Social Media side of our business. But we have to find a better way to collaborate with our Digital business partners. We have also seen the PR side of our business take some very big hits over the last year. I am not close enough to have a strong point of view, but I know several of the large PR clients were lost, which lead to that team structure having to be reduced tremendously. Leadership hasn't done a great job communicating a go-forward plan on how we are going to rebuild that competency. Or if that is even something we are still interested in pursuing as a business.

It is true that work-life balance is challenged at times. I know from my perspective you just have to say no sometimes, as hard as that is. The reality is that advertising has always been a business that challenges that balance. Some need to ask themselves if working in advertising is really going to be their cup of tea.

On-boarding and employee policy needs some work at SBC. while things seem to be improving since the hire of the new HR Director, the pace seems too slow.

Nit picky things like parking are a pain, but at least it is free to park.

Advice to Management

Don't let all of the noise detract from what is truly important. This agency has been around for almost 50 years, evolve what needs to be changed. Don't change what isn't broken. By and large the employees support the efforts and we want to continue the success. Please keep us up to speed as SBC continues to evolve. We all have a stake in it's success.

"Fresh direction feels like a good thing"

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It seems clear from recent reviews that most everyone agrees on one thing – SBC is absolutely an agency in transition. How current and former employees feel about that transition seems to be where there is a pretty big disconnect.
    From my point of view, this is an agency that does a few things very well, and is positioning itself to expand that capability sweet spot, while improving the efficiency and structure of the work. It feels like a ‘growing up’ moment – the transition from being small and reactive to scalable and strategic. It’s an encouraging shift, as I get the impression that new hires coming from other agencies / companies are more in tune with a stable, proactive AOR-type organization than the alternative.
    It’s clear that there are and have been employees who are absolutely not cool with this evolution, and to each their own I guess. I’d say the lesson is that if you crave the adrenaline rush that comes with complete chaos, a smaller agency is probably a better fit.

Cons

Retail is always going to be a challenge
    Big transitions will always cause anxiety

Advice to Management

Stay focused on what it takes to be an AOR shop