SBC Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Scott Wolfe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Account Executive"

Pros

willing to review for a higher position within 6 months

Cons

wanted me to do the job of an SAE for an AE title and compensation

"Account Coordinator"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at SBC Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gorgeous office. Amazing team (or what's left of it). Free Diet Coke. Sunny Cafe Area. Insane Office Parties.

I did learn a lot during my time at SBC for which I'm very grateful. I made connections that benefit me to this and friends and memories I'll never forget. It's a shame SBC did a 180.

Cons

CUBICLES (although I hear some changes are happening), executive leadership is out of touch and out for blood, silos, zero interdepartmental communication, out of date social tactics, a very "business as usual" kind of agency.

Aside from a pretty gorgeous office, SBC is anything but your stereotypical agency. From cubicles, departments that have silo walls so high you don't even know who works in the dept, sexual harassment, and a serious lack of diversity; SBC doesn't seem to have a lot going for it (or maybe it does and losing key accounts is part of their overall strategy). It's a shame because there were/are some really talented people at SBC, but management is too out of touch to understand the relationships and value those team members provide to the agency. The pay is below average, the work boring, and it's a PC-friendly agency. Creatives get Macs, but outside of that hope you're a fan of Windows.

Advice to Management

Maybe it would benefit Management to evaluate the strength of employees and the rapport they have with clients before terminating them. It also might be a good idea to focus on agency strategy and mission rather than who to cut next. Encourage strong teams that make big WINS for the entire agency, and not just themselves.

"Reputation Manager Wanted-Immediately"

I worked at SBC Advertising full-time

Pros

Job openings are plentiful as are open office spaces. And the location is great.

Cons

Job openings and office space is plentiful because the agency is hemorrhaging clients and good talent. And why wouldn't it? The leadership team is a joke--unless of course returning to a place of employment after leaving, not once, but twice is a sign of change and forward movement. The leadership team consists of a small group that tried to buy the agency more than five years ago...well, they are getting exactly what would have happened to a once thriving agency and clearly they were not ready then and are not ready now. Large, national accounts have been replaced with subpar, regional brands. Oh wait, I feel an urge to buy a mattress.

Advice to Management

I actually thought no one knew you in this city, but it's much worse, you have a reputation--and it isn't pretty. Bravo!

"isn't what you would expect."

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ummm. Location. Love being across the street from huntington park. You can wear anything you want, which is great when you have an old navy wardrobe budget...except when meeting with a client. And free parking, for the most part. If you have to park in the lot in the back 50, you are screwed. terrifying to walk there at night.

Cons

Look, I know Millennials are known for being spoiled, but that isn't me. My mother drilled in me the drive to be a hard worker. But, what SBC sold me on, when I was interviewing and before I started working here, is totally different from what working at SBC is all about.

All through my time at CCAD, I had numerous people tell me there were two employers in CBUS that I should try and get a job with. Resource and SBC.

So I interviewed, and the HR lady was all about we're a family. We play hard. We work hard. It's exciting. You'll work on some really cool accounts. It was a picture I couldn't help but fall in love with.

Then I started working there. The people are miserable! They aren't mean or anything, they are so incredibly unhappy. All I hear from them is that things used to be so much better when "DD" was the CEO. The agency used to thrive, with new clients coming left and right. I saw pictures on our Intranet of parties that don't happen any more. it's horrible!!

What makes things worse is that the executives promote this... really mean ... and I mean really really mean attitude. I've overheard fellow employees talking about other employees. I've heard the executives say horrible things about each other. And one guy really makes me..... feel uncomfortable. I can't say anything because he's high up in company. He's made me cry twice because he said I was worthless to my best friend/co-worker. And u can't say anything!! There was this really cute guy... a creative director... or something. and he was fired because he said something or someone overhead him ... i don't know. and they just fired him! And he was so incredible at what he did. And the CEO is the worst. He's never there and the last time I saw him... he looked at me like I was a piece of filth because I dared to say, 'Hi'. :(

And the really worst part about it, is, that we have lost so many clients that there isn't enough work to go around. Someone you see one day is gone the next, and nobody tells us anything. I'm so sad and miserable, but I need this job. Just stay away. there are other agencies. I've already started looking. My heart is broken. I thought this would be so cool. it's not.

Advice to Management

stop being so nasty. win some work. all everyone does is talk about leaving and how mean you are. And let your people have a life!!! I'm tired working 7 days a week and not able to take any vacation because you laid off so many people.

5. "Salary"

I worked at SBC Advertising full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, good team environment

Cons

Management shake up has had positive results

"Setting the record straight"

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time

Pros

I have been working at SBC for quite a while, seen several different owners and management teams come through. Experienced the highs and lows of this business, there have been plenty over the years. I never paid much attention to these types of sites until a coworker mentioned it to me. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, and I would never directly discount how someone feels. Shame on those that do.

SBC is certainly in a time of transition. For those that have been in advertising for a while, we know clients will come and go. It's never easy loosing clients, aside from the financial impact to the business, there is an emotional toll too. There are friendships and working relationships that can get dislodged, individuals worry about their jobs. Agencies that have been around for a while know how to navigate this, first and foremost you have to get new clients and continue to pitch for new business, you never stop pitching, ever. I believe SBC has on-boarded about 4 new clients within the last 6 months, with several new business pitches in cue. In my opinion, the advertising landscape has evolved dramatically over the last few years and will continue. I see comments that talk about how good it used to be, and I agree that SBC's past has been very impressive and I am happy to have played a role, but there were just as many challenges back then as there are today. The only difference is now there is an online forum for us to share our views.

It is interesting, if you go back far enough and read the SBC reviews, people say a lot of the same things about the previous leadership and owners of SBC. It is clear that a business will always have a certain amount of employees that are just not happy. I would also think that there aren't many that were asked to leave a job that are not disgruntled to even the smallest level. Some of the latest reviews, I have to admit seem like they are written by some of the same people based upon the context and wording. Honestly, I may be totally off base in stating that opinion, but I say that as someone who has been at this agency for a very longtime. Some comments do not even make any sense in the context of the day to day business. Everyone works hard, that is agency life, not just at SBC. The advertising business in general is fast-paced and a demanding business, clients have high expectations and want the most for their money. We always strive to deliver on those expectations. Some say that there is no work-life balance because of being so busy at SBC and others say they sit around without much to do. I put that on their individual managers and would say employees have to be accountable as well. One of the best things about working at SBC is they don't micromanage here, if you are good at what you do, you will elevate your coworkers and make clients happy. It's truly that simple. From that comes opportunity and growth. Like any business if you falter, continue to make mistakes time and time again, you wont be successful. People can try to push that blame on others, but we are responsible for our own actions (or inaction). This company does reward it's employees and celebrate it's success, I have been on the positive side of that equation several times.

I will agree with those that have said SBC used to be a business that seemed to have its favorites, although I feel a lot of business' are like that when you get down to the core. The new CEO doesn't seem to be rooted in that philosophy though, he has made some personnel changes (that I have even questioned myself) that should prove that point.

The company does try to say thanks to it's staff of employees for all of the efforts. Great summer and holiday parties are a longstanding tradition at SBC. Only comment I would say here is it would be nice to bring our significant others to holiday parties like we used to a few years ago. I realize the expense, but I have heard the same from several others. Most recently the company has even passed out annual 'Perks' to the entire staff. Everyone is given around $150 each to spend on all kids of things from massages to gym memberships, even gift cards. I have never experienced or heard of that at other places I have been involved with.

The bottom line, you should work where you are happy. I think many might find the grass isn't all that greener working someplace else. But it is what you make of it. I like the challenge of working at SBC, I like the team I work with and most of the people I see everyday. Could I work someplace else, yes. Would it be better, maybe. But I love being in advertising, I love the challenge of winning new business. I want to work with people that share similar passions. SBC has been home to me for a long time, and I appreciate the opportunities I have been given.

Cons

Any business will have it's cons, just as our own life throws us obstacles regularly. I was never a big fan when we allowed our Digital group to beak away and form it's own company. While we still collaborate with that team on a regular basis, I feel it has left a void that is challenging to fill. On a positive note, we have very recently rebuilt the Social Media side of our business. But we have to find a better way to collaborate with our Digital business partners. We have also seen the PR side of our business take some very big hits over the last year. I am not close enough to have a strong point of view, but I know several of the large PR clients were lost, which lead to that team structure having to be reduced tremendously. Leadership hasn't done a great job communicating a go-forward plan on how we are going to rebuild that competency. Or if that is even something we are still interested in pursuing as a business.

It is true that work-life balance is challenged at times. I know from my perspective you just have to say no sometimes, as hard as that is. The reality is that advertising has always been a business that challenges that balance. Some need to ask themselves if working in advertising is really going to be their cup of tea.

On-boarding and employee policy needs some work at SBC. while things seem to be improving since the hire of the new HR Director, the pace seems too slow.

Nit picky things like parking are a pain, but at least it is free to park.

Advice to Management

Don't let all of the noise detract from what is truly important. This agency has been around for almost 50 years, evolve what needs to be changed. Don't change what isn't broken. By and large the employees support the efforts and we want to continue the success. Please keep us up to speed as SBC continues to evolve. We all have a stake in it's success.

7. "Fresh direction feels like a good thing"

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It seems clear from recent reviews that most everyone agrees on one thing – SBC is absolutely an agency in transition. How current and former employees feel about that transition seems to be where there is a pretty big disconnect.
    From my point of view, this is an agency that does a few things very well, and is positioning itself to expand that capability sweet spot, while improving the efficiency and structure of the work. It feels like a ‘growing up’ moment – the transition from being small and reactive to scalable and strategic. It’s an encouraging shift, as I get the impression that new hires coming from other agencies / companies are more in tune with a stable, proactive AOR-type organization than the alternative.
    It’s clear that there are and have been employees who are absolutely not cool with this evolution, and to each their own I guess. I’d say the lesson is that if you crave the adrenaline rush that comes with complete chaos, a smaller agency is probably a better fit.

Cons

Retail is always going to be a challenge
    Big transitions will always cause anxiety

Advice to Management

Stay focused on what it takes to be an AOR shop

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Account Service in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Account Service in Columbus, OH

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location? There isn't much

Cons

Let's talk about the leadership at this agency. First of all, the CEO is a joke. Doesn't communicate, doesn't support, doesn't even show up to work most of the time. The COO he put in place is trying to make people accountable for how much time they work without even understanding how to manage people- because he comes from a print background. HR- what a joke. The employee handbook has been "coming soon" for two years. They don't want to hear feedback, and instill fear in us for being "moles." They straight up asked if we submitted anonymous reviews on sites like this or questions during agency meetings, and then told us not to give them bad reviews. Clients are leaving left and right because leadership made promises about rehiring executives that they couldn't follow through on. All they care about right now is catalog work and the renovation they're doing to make the agency look "cool." I hope leadership in Memphis comes to pay a visit and that the CEO didn't get a bonus since we missed goal in 2016. This is not the place to learn how a real agency operates. Oh, and they can't even say they're fully integrated anymore since the CEO obliterated one of the many departments they used to have. Clients are unhappy and taking work to other agencies or internally and when questions are asked, people are fired.

Advice to Management

Godspeed and Good Luck. You're going to need it.

"Headed in the Right Direction"

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time

Pros

I’ve been working at SBC now just under a year and love it! As most companies do, SBC is going through a strategic refresh. This is necessary in order to align for the future, with the focus of adding greater value to our clients and helping our team members become the best that they can be. I’m thrilled to be working along side such talented people with a fresh perspective. There’s such a buzz of energy here in the culture that’s hard not to notice. It’s unlike any place that I’ve worked in the past. Arrogance is left at the front door and people are genuine, considerate and work together to strive for excellence. There’s a solid mix of senior talent who are experts in what they do, as well as young talented employees who help drive innovation in strategic and creative thinking. Leaders are approachable and care about the success of the individuals at every level. The vision set by leadership is exciting, albeit through some changes made for the greater good. The change can be scary to some, but completely necessary to grow and evolve into the greatness that lies ahead. The change can also bring out the disgruntaled few, which is unfortunately seen in above comments. It’s definitely not the view from the mass.

Cons

Some late hours and travel

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus, energy and drive.

"The Future is NOW at SBC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at SBC Advertising full-time

Pros

Accountability.

It's a new day at SBC Advertising. The marketing and advertising world is changing, and SBC is evolving with it! Judging by some of the reviews recently, it's clear that there wasn't a level of personal accountability. Talk about expertise and know-how only carries you so far, but when it's time to prove it, you quickly can see who's in it for the entirety of the company versus themselves.

This is what SBC is evolving towards, and I'm happy to be a part of it!

Since I've been here, the new CEO's willingness to be transparent with employees at every level has been welcomed. This again goes back to accountability. If you can't take the time to bring issues and new thoughts to a leadership team that routinely asks for them, then it's on you.

Our talent is in our people, and with a people-first mentality, accountability and direct feedback has made every member of our leadership team accountable to their team members, and has empowered team members to hold their leadership equally as accountable for their own personal growth and development.

I read about  SBC's "former greatness" in these reviews, but the best is yet to come with the right people who are hungry. We’re all in this together, and when all levels of a company become demanding partners of one another, magic happens!

Come join the magic happening at SBC and hold the keys to your own career!

Cons

This happens at any company, but if individuals become self-absorbed, we all lose.

Advice to Management

Stay hungry, stay focused.