SBLM Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "SBLM environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at SBLM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All SBLM offices have excellent learning environments

Cons

There are no significant cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the advanced continual education learning series

2. "Architect"

Current Employee - Drafter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Drafter in New York, NY

I have been working at SBLM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really like the lower level people that work here. There are some really good leaders in the firm at all levels.

Cons

As I sit here reading these reviews I can't help but notice that the yelling bouts from the CEO are consistent and not addressed by responses from the firm. That says a lot. I try to keep my head down so I stay out of the line of fire.

This has been a long standing problem that never gets addressed.

Advice to Management

Take confrontations out of the drafting room and don't make the staff endure them.its depressing to moral

3. "Feel Compelled to Balance Out the False High Rating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Amboy, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Amboy, NJ

I worked at SBLM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While there were positive aspects of the firm, they were all undercut by the underlying toxicity of the environment.

Cons

It was akin to being in an abusive relationship. You never knew what would cause senior management, without naming names, to fly off the handle. If you're a positive person and you want to join a firm that shares your values, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Take a moment to reflect upon yourselves. You have a lot of the structures in place for the makings of a great place to work - strong processes, some top-rated clients, a handful of very talented and loyal employees. Make SBLM a place they can be happy to work in. In the end, a company should be about its people, not its profit.

4. "Fake Reviews I don't agree"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SBLM full-time

Pros

Honestly this is not a review of the firm. Taking advantage of this website to post negative comments and slander the CEO is a disgrace. Talk about the positive things offered during your time there. Conduct yourself as a professional. Don't expect others to feel as you do. Your issue seems to be personal and you need to get over it. If you left then move on. Many employed here have a good working relationship with upper management and appreciate being given the opporunity to expand their skill set. Seems you were not a good fit.

Cons

Expect errors to be addressed. This is not a place to sit and play. Your work is taken seriously. If you are not productive, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the seminars and trainings going. It helps your team develop as professionals.

"The best day of my life was the day I left"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at SBLM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy being yelled at on a daily basis, then this is the place for you. If you're looking for an environment that does not value its employees potential and skill, then this is the place for you. If you're looking for a place where you see your friends get fired (maybe even yourself) for reasons unknown, then this is the place for you! If you want to watch your future fade away and your dignity be eroded, then this is absolutely the place for you!

Cons

SBLM is honestly not a healthy company, nor is it home to a heathy environment and work dynamic. It was a sad place to work. To see people who work so hard for their passion of the architecture and engineering industry, only for their days to be ruined by such day to day unexpected mania.

The yelling was one of the worst things here. 40 hours a week (usually much more than that) are spent here in the office, and to suffer from a yelling fit by the CEO often, is not how anyone should spend their workdays. It's an extremely unprofessional characteristic from any workplace, or person from a CEO level.

Advice to people applying here:
    Stop. I wish someone had told me to avoid this place.
    This is not "just a job". That is not how you should view SBLM. You should view it as a place to avoid. It is a sick place. I assure you, you will find the place you need to be. Even though I worked here for a full year before leaving, I truly wish I took the extra time to find the right place.

Advice to Management

This is a forum for current employees and past employees to share their truths about SBLM, in order to assist job searchers. For you to come here, and tell these people to stop, or say these are all false reviews is just so unprofessional and embarrassing. I know any 4+ star review is completely false. You know how I know? I know because I was there. Question for you (please reply): If SBLM was such a wonderful place and was 5 star worthy, then what are the 1 star reviews here for? Are they fake? If so, why would someone do such a thing? Why would your staff badmouth such a wonderful place?

SBLM Response

Sep 25, 2016 – Principal

This is from the same angry employee who cannot find another job.
    SBLM wouldn't be a thriving, successful company for the last 40 years if what was posted was in any way accurate.

"These are all Fake Reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

You learn what a company should NOT be.

Cons

I would fist like to say that I was shocked to see how highly SBLM was rated on this website all of the sudden! After reading though all of the sudden 5 star reviews, I quickly noticed how fake they sound, not to mention how they are posted quite consecutively. This is a small company and I know there can not be this many people posting on glassdoor all of the sudden. This just shows how low management here can stoop.

While I worked at this company, I saw a lot of great working people get the boot. If you voiced your opinion, and it was different from the CEO's, you will most likely see your job posted online the next day..... and yes, they would post your job online before they let you know you were fired.

- Pay was very low, and even lower if you were a woman/minority.
    - There is no respect for your opinion
    - Lack of structure
    - Lots of yelling
    - No investment in the employees
    - Lots of turnover (Great if you left own your own - but mostly people getting fired)
    - No room to grow
    - Archaic thinking

Advice to Management

The entire management is very unprofessional. The CEO is not capable of running a company, he tries to control everything himself and treats employees like dirt. Screaming in people's faces and firing people left and right does not make the company or you better.

"Architectural Project Manager"

Current Employee - Architectural Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Architectural Project Manager in New York, NY

Pros

SBLM offers a wide range of project experiences. There's a strong focus on learning. The Principals are very involved with the staff

Cons

SBLM is a serious company. No joking around. if you represent you can do something, they expect you to do it. Focus is very important.

Advice to Management

Not much to offer. Management's very involved.

"Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

Pros

SBLM is a wonderful company. They offered me many opportunities for growth.
    i learned a lot and moved up to the position of Associate which I cherished.

Cons

I don't have any negative comments to say. Being an Associate allowed me to have greater insight into management and procedures.

Advice to Management

There are nine partners - all with different styles - which sometimes makes for conflicting messages - however - the bottom line message is clear.

"Designer"

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at SBLM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, lots of support from management, camaraderie among fellow workers

Cons

None. Management understands people are their only asset

Advice to Management

None

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SBLM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects and building types. Many of the projects are complex. Lots of emphasis on design practicality.

Cons

Not much to say about the way the company is run. I've never run a company and grateful to have a job

Advice to Management

Not sure of what I could advise management on.