SC Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

SC Johnson Chairman and CEO H. Fisk Johnson
H. Fisk Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Everyone and Everything is Tired"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people who try. Some become numb and tired, other get frustrated and leave. Amazing levels of turnover are a sign that fundamentals are broken.

Cons

People come in, expecting to make a difference, then tire quickly. Work-life balance is laughable. Systems are either outdated or nonexistent. Senior leader courage is in short supply and, interestingly, grow tired trying to anticipate what Fisk wants.

Advice to Management

Survival requires courage, a sense of urgency, and a fighting spirit. The brands are tired and so is the work force. Don't continue what you've been doing for the last 20 years, hoping for a better outcome.

"Disappointing"

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for upward mobility, including global roles.

Cons

Turnover is high, culture is awful.

Advice to Management

SCJ used to be a best in class example of a great company, over the last couple of years they have lost their values.

"Commercial"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience to start a career.

Commitment from team members to go the extra mile. Global experience opportunities.

Cons

The most long term senior management focuses on past relationships rather than what is delivered. Some are narcissistic.

Benefits and pay are below market.

Advice to Management

Encourage leaders to focus on their current team not their next job.

"Don't ignore or deny the negative reviews"

Current Employee - Director in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, some great people

Cons

The company response to the associate manager who called out bullying in a review on this site I s disappointing. Bullying is putting it lightly; demeaning, yelling, horrible treatment by senior executives to other senior leaders (vp's, directors) is the expectation and it's ruined the culture and in turn the business results.

Advice to Management

You won't fix the business until you fix the culture which will never happen with the current CMO and then you'll have to see if the rest of the leaders can regain their mojo and correct all the bad behaviors that have infested so much of the company. And you won't fix any of the real issues if you keep turning a blind eye...you have plenty of data to make this call.

Jul 31, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Your feedback is valued. Thank you.

"Still finding themselves"

Former Employee - Principal in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Principal in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OK Products, nice gym, nice company store

Cons

Management extremely egocentric,
    Strategy for what it is ... confused, rudderless.
    Culture confused, forced from top down, not created by employees
    Values depend on who you talk to from bottom to top
    No way to advance beyond a few typecast career paths
    Lack of appreciation for internal expertise
    Aggressive HR against employees
    Pay low, location marginal

Advice to Management

Quit trying to be what you are not

Apr 27, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for taking the time to post – we try to learn from every posted comment.

"Associate Manager RD&E"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Long history, excellent brands, international travel

Cons

Hypocracy, no work life balance, culture of blame and inequality, lack of diversity, mysogeny

Advice to Management

Place more women and minorities as senior management in research not just in HR or marketing, expect realistic amounts of time from a work week, create successions plans for your employees so you can win in the long-term of this heavily regulated industry

Apr 27, 2017 – The SCJ Team

We’re sorry you feel this way. Inclusion and treating people with respect are fundamental to who we are and what we stand for at SCJ. We hope you’ll consider discussing your feelings with your... More

"No internal mobility/lack of diversity at all levels"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good partnerships at peer level
    Unique benefits like childcare center and concierge
    Interesting company history

Cons

There was little to no internal mobility in my function, I felt I couldn't build a career here. Overall, the organization is very flat. I was an external hire and it quickly became clear to me that my external perspectives and ways of working were not embraced and folks that did move had deep, personal relationships with leaders. I am also disappointed in lack of good female leaders at this company. The leaders that are in place have never inspired me and have taught me how NOT to treat people and run a business. The lack of focus to drive the business is marred by lack of leadership accountability, an "every man for himself" culture and zero flexibility. In one year nearly everyone on my team has left to pursue opportunities at other organizations.

Advice to Management

I never felt I had purpose working at this company. Share your vision, live up to it and reward the people that are literally killing themselves to work for you. The grass is greener anywhere but at SCJ.

Mar 28, 2017 – The SCJ Team

We’re sorry you feel your time at SCJ didn’t provide you with the career opportunities and purpose you were seeking. We work hard to be a place where people feel inspired to do great work and feel... More

"Regional Market Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Management in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Management in Northeast, NY

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started out as a great company with excellent people, benefits, and quality brands. Hard working productive employees were rewarded for dedication and performance.

Cons

the last 5 years of my 33 year career with SCJ I saw a large decline in the success of new products. The Trade no longer respected SCJ. Reorganization resulting in the first time massive layoffs of long term employees that had worked to build scj. Workloads that were not manageable, and an HR department that was clueless. Top management changed as did the philosophy of the company. Scj went from being an outstanding company to work for to a mediocre one. No loyalty on either side anymore.

Advice to Management

Look at the cornerstones that made SCJ into the great company they once were. Learn from all the past to build a better future.

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for writing. We’re sorry to hear your final years at SCJ left you feeling disappointed. You’re right that there’s been a fair amount of change lately. But there are things we don’t ever want... More

"Lead, Supply Planning"

Pros

Highly recognized global brands in the indisutry

Cons

1. Culture is horrible. Doesn't promote growth from within
    2. Not adaptable to change
    3. Company does not recognize outside talent. If you didnt "grow up" in SCJ, then you are not valued for having diverse experience
    4. If management doesn't like you, they look for reasons to "manage" you out of the business
    5. They do not promote diversity. Minority associates tend to leave within 2 years or less due to the lack of diversity and inclusion within the company (specifically Racine, WI)

Advice to Management

Increase diversity.
    Look at moving offices out of Racine, WI to attract higher caliber of talent

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Diversity is really important to us. We want to be the kind of place where everyone is encouraged and supported and inspired to thrive. We’re sorry you didn’t feel that while you were at SCJ. It... More

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Harder and harder to find as time goes on

Cons

No integrity, don't live their values, no decision-making ability, chasing every crazy idea, no work-life balance. Upper management is too busy throwing each under the bus and everyone else is caught in the cross fire.

Advice to Management

Start over

Oct 7, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for writing. It sounds like you’re pretty down on the company, and if this is what you’re experiencing, we can understand why. But what you’ve described is not the culture we want to have. We... More