SC Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SC Johnson Chairman and CEO H. Fisk Johnson
H. Fisk Johnson

Pros
  • Good work life balance, development opportunities (in 48 reviews)

• Good benefits and you get a nice break over Christmas - New Year (in 21 reviews)

Cons

"Reality is far different than what they make it out to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales people to work with

Cons

Management taking credit for everyone else's work
    Lack of support when new ideas are brought up
    Dismissive and rude attitude by leadership which demoralizes you as an employee
    Lack of transparency and communication in what is happening - makes it hard to move forward and bring success
    Everyone is in their own bubble and not willing to share what is going on - no one is on the same page
    No collaboration
    Backstabbing my leadership

Advice to Management

Be honest and genuine in how you portray things so people do not feel lied to.

"It used to be great to be SCJ, now it's hard to say that."

Current Employee - Production in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Production in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits... kind of.. they (benefits) keep letting less and less every year. Mainly the pay. Some of the individual teams have absolutely wonderful people in them. Also some of the "old timers" are the most knowledgeable people you can meet.

Cons

Management that doesn't listen to its long term employees. In recent years it has turned into a "us" vs "them" mentality between production and the management team. Management seems to have free reign to destroy a culture that thrived within the company. They don't seem to listen to employees on ideas that could benefit the production areas.
    Recently it seems that the regular employee doesn't want to speak up anymore do to some type of retaliation down the road.
    Morale is low, hour are getting longer as they try to cram 12 hr shifts down everyone's throats. They preach about safety but yet seem to bypass it for numbers. Money is being spent on wrong ideas. The quality of training has for sure diminished, as well as the quality of new hires whether it's for the shop floor or new management.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics. Without mastering them you lose effectiveness. Listen to your long timers, they have really great ideas. Let the floor people loose and stop wasting money on half rolled out apt teams that are incredibly inefficient and ineffective. A happy worker is the best asset you can have. They are loyal and would bend over backwards for the company

Mar 2, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for taking the time to write. We agree that loyal, engaged people are vital to SCJ’s success. Your perspective is valued.

"Look elsewhere...terrible management dynamics & morale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to work all the time - long days/nights/weekends.
    Sunday projects from bosses for Monday meetings...fun!
    The credit for your Good Work will be overlooked and taken by your boss.
    All decisions are made from out of touch upper tier directors/VP's.
    If you like outsourced internal providers that have no stake, this is your place.
    Narcissistic Senior Level management is crushing to morale.
    Group/consensus think rules - no one to blame (Dir/VP's) in group think except worker bees.
    Risk averse culture - stagnant innovation.
    Lots of failed initiatives due to upper level control and no trust of worker bees insight, experience, and intelligence.
    Might be a "Family" company, just NOT "Your Family".

Cons

Moving work out of Racine
    Losing long term employees that know the business and turning it over to "outsiders".
    Most of the upper management (Sr. Directors/V.P.'s/EVP's) are influenced only by their own KPI's...crush everything down stream that will get in the way of their own performance/rewards.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting the upper level outsiders to further the deconstruction/demise of the company or let your people at all levels do what you hired them to do and continue the legacy of what Sam built. Outsiders and outsourcing is not the answer.

Dec 19, 2016 – The SCJ Team

We’re sorry you feel your time at SCJ was so negative. We respectfully disagree with some of your points, but we are continuously looking for ways to improve and we try to consider all comments with ... More

"Marketing Director"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good global brands
    Company's desire to expand
    New CMO vision
    Still good people working there although several are leaving or looking for leaving.

Cons

Work life balance.
    Lack of empowerment.
    Human Resources (or actually the lack of it).
    Career path is sometimes driven by perceptions rather than performance.
    Too much bureaucracy, politics and internal talking. Our VPs are more focused on looking right to the CMO and CEO, rather than building solid strategies and plans to satisfy customers and consumers.
    Everything has to be escalated for approval to the highest levels, even small things like case count changes!! This creates a bottle neck in all processes and slow things down.
    The company is working on a constant "Reaction" mode, changing directions frequently and chasing the competition, rather than leading the growth.
    The company has downsized the number of employees, but kept the same prehistoric, complex and slow systems to run the business. This creates inefficiency and increases (unproductive) workload

Advice to Management

Walk the talk.
    Be open to listen the truth, not just what you want to listen.
    Empower your people. Responsibility without empowerment drives frustration.

Dec 19, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. As we come through the changes of the past few years, we hope you’ll see processes getting simpler and faster. We agree efficiency is important!

"Associate Manager- Project Manager"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Maternity Leave benefits, Pension, global, large company on resume

Cons

Management, product categories, not organized effectively, high turnover, no real strategy, HR is terrible, no real work life balance, family company persona fake, too many projects- quantity over quality,

Advice to Management

Fire all the long term mid-level managers

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

It sounds like we didn’t live up to your expectations during your time at SCJ, and we’re sorry to hear that. We respectfully disagree with some of your points, but we appreciate that you shared how ... More

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Only positives are some of the wonderful benefits that amazingly still exist.

Cons

Morale! Understaffed, overworked, and undervalued. Upper mgt. Constantly looking to finger point - while putting on a façade of caring. The company is still riding on the shirt tails of past reputation.

Advice to Management

Combine the ideas of new and experienced - instead of just pushing formerly valued employees out the door.

Oct 7, 2016 – The SCJ Team

First, thank you for writing a review. We know 10+ years is a long time to give to any employer, and we appreciate it. It sounds like you’re pretty frustrated, too. It’s true there are some areas in ... More

"Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Middle Management in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time

Pros

Nice facilities and cafeteria. Recreation availability. company resort.

Cons

Apparent favoritism toward homosexuals. Lack of opportunity within departments. Extreme favoritism. No changing departments. Poor employee review process and methodology.

Advice to Management

Please start paying to advice of technical employees. Stop changing direction and project priorities mid stream which delays and confusion of all involved.

Oct 7, 2016 – The SCJ Team

We hear you that priorities need to be consistent and that changing direction causes delays and confusion. That’s good feedback and we appreciate it. We’re not sure what to make of your comments ... More

"A most peculiar family company"

Former Employee - Director in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Director in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relatively high salaries in a low-cost-of-living area of the country. Some good benefits such as a fitness center and child care (company store, too). Great people at the managerial level. Made many great friends working here. Products are well made and positively perceived, so business is unlikely to tank anytime soon.

Cons

Senior management is consumed by sucking up to the CEO. Fisk Johnson is a poor manager and will not take advice. Always looking at other companies for innovative ideas - particularly Procter. Power concentrated in the hands of a few CEO cronies. Super passive-aggressive. Culture is not in line with "family company" image.

Advice to Management

You're a lonely outpost in a dreary part of the country. Make working at SCJ more fun and less politically stressful, or you'll continue to lose your best people.

Oct 7, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for your comments. We respectfully disagree with some of your conclusions, but we want to continually learn and grow as an organization, and that includes considering to all perspectives ... More

"Confused, Doesn't walk their own talk"

Former Employee - Principal in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Principal in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Theoretically it could be a good place

Cons

Doesn't seem to know what to do with the people and expertise they have.
    Very much not a family company, if you are not their family. Don't believe what you hear there.
    Very very poor onboarding process, and extremely poor HR - trying to cram all people into little molds that are easy to evaluate numerically.

Advice to Management

State the truth - that SCJ will be another P&G or Clorox or Pepsi. This is not a family company and is not run like one. Until that is the culture, communication, and and is understood, the clash of "family / relationship-based company" versus "numerical, performance-based" will simply cause issues.

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

It’s true that there can be tension between being a competitive business that’s healthy enough to last for generations, and also maintaining a unique culture that doesn’t always have to put profits ... More

"Micro Management only interested in climbing ladder for themselves."

Former Employee - Senior Technician in Bay City, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Technician in Bay City, MI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefit package good . Some good people to work with. Was a better company when founder was still alive.

Cons

Micromanage employees opinion doesn't matter. Treated poorly. Long hours short staffed. When founder was alive the employees mattered now it only about production and poor quality product doesn't seem to matter.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all current management and restructure

Oct 11, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thank you for leaving a review. 10+ years is a long time to be with an employer, and we appreciate your time and hard work. We’re sorry to hear you felt like you were micro-managed and that opinions ... More