SC Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

SC Johnson Chairman and CEO H. Fisk Johnson
H. Fisk Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Markets Itself Family Company - Like All the Others"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Memorial to Labor Day can flex to take Friday afternoons off.

Cons

Same people promoted over and over again. You need to have a high up internal sponsor to move around or up.

Jul 26, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thank you for your comments.

"Project Manager"

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time

Pros

SC Johnson has good benefits for its employees: health benefits, flexible schedule, gyms in several locations, and good paying jobs.
    The headquarters main campus with its Frank LLoyd buildings, it is a joy to work around the beautiful buildings and surround areas.
    The company supports employee continue education through in-house training, on-line courses, master degrees, or outside training.
    Thank you!

Cons

Employee morale is the worst that I have seen in many years.
    Environment of fear of loosing your job or making an unintended error.
    High employee turn over in some areas of the company.

Advice to Management

I have not advice to management.

Mar 28, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thank you for your review. It’s helpful to see what SCJ people value and where we can improve.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great brands, Good Benefits, Good budget, Experienced and fresh work force, Company store, modern labs, Fridays to work from home

Cons

Too much employee turn over, Low morale, Less transparency, Process oriented/not technology oriented, senior management whips around middle management and the pressure flows down stream

Advice to Management

Keep the senior management in one division to get continuity instead of 3 year terms, Have a long term plan instead of changing minds everyday

Jan 23, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thank you for sharing your advice.

"Not the same SCJ"

Current Employee - Level 15 Technician in Bay City, MI
    Current Employee - Level 15 Technician in Bay City, MI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time

Pros

The money is good, benefits are ok, it's a job.

Cons

Current employee/production technician with a lot of years at Bay City Site. This used to be a great place to work but not anymore. Used to be you had to practically kill somebody to get in trouble around here, let alone fired but now we've let more good people go than I can count in just the last year. There are no warnings or coachings anymore. There is a revolving door with an increasing turn over rate. The morale and culture are nothing to write home about. Work with same people for long hours and never speak a word to each other because we're all afraid of getting in trouble or offending someone and being shown the door. Its sad. The workforce is a nervous wreck. People and management seem out to catch you making a mistake. There are perks, mostly the pay, but that's just a trap to stay in a soul sucking place.The new human resources regime rules the site with an iron fist so if you think they care about you, you'll be dissappointed. The swing shift is harder than you think and takes a lot outta you. Times have really changed in Bay City in the last few years and I'm just happy to be retiring soon. I wouldn't recommend friends or family to work here.

Advice to Management

Stop telling people in the onboarding process that we "hire for life" and that "people are our greatest asset" when our discipline actions and lack of positive conflict management prove otherwise.

Dec 19, 2016 – The SCJ Team

We’re sorry you feel this way. We take the feedback we receive to heart.

"Used to be a great company"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

World-class brands, great people who are caring and smart, and clear roles and responsibilities. Also, solid benefits and profit sharing, although those have been declining. Good direction to focus more on digital media vs traditional media.

Cons

This is not the same company I started with 10 years ago. The new COO is from Pepsi and it's all about the bottom line and profits. in 2014 the company laid off around 20% of their "white collar" work-force, really taking an ax to a situation that required a scalpel. The culture was smashed. The strategy seems scattered and the tenured employees are not valued. This is no longer "the family company." It's becoming a big, east coast style CPG organization where people are a number.

Advice to Management

Value your legacy employees and invest in their growth. Don't forget about innovation, it's the lifeblood!

Dec 19, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for writing. We’re glad you feel that you worked with great, smart, caring people. That’s really important to SCJ and its culture. And, we really agree about the importance of both people and... More

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to grow and climb the corporate ladder with a lot of job rotation

Cons

Intense workload - many additional hours

Advice to Management

Take time to get in the lower level job descriptions and evaluate work load

Dec 19, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks. We appreciate the review and feedback.

"Great company if you are looking to be a VP one day"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits if you have a family. You also have plenty of opportunity to move around the company.

Cons

Racine... Slow moving decision makers... Career advancement is limited to managerial positions

Advice to Management

Communication needs to open up between the different functions. Business needs to stop being made in defense of other brands.

Dec 19, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for taking the time to write. We appreciate your perspective on your experience.

"Director of Operations"

Current Employee - Waxdale Director of Operations -Plant Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company values that are linked through all of the business objectives. You feel as though you are truly a part of the team, the company, and the family. This companies provides many opportunities for you to be involved in decision making.

Cons

The private owned nature of the company lends to very protected decision making in areas that should still provide full autonomy. The HR organization does not support and promote individual development.

Advice to Management

Improve career development process

Nov 4, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It’s great to hear that you feel such a part of the team and can see SCJ’s values in action. We also appreciate your perspective on opportunities to improve. We’ll... More

9. "Regional Lean Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Lean Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Regional Lean Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance and care for employees.

Cons

Can improve on succession planning.

"Room for improvement"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bringing in outside talent to institute best practices is helping move the company in the right direction/increase its ability to compete.

Cons

EXTREME lack of diversity, particularly African American/Black. HORRIBLE work-life balance in terms of work hours and constant overnight offsites that could be done during work hours. Antiquated telecommuting/HR policies. Schools in surrounding area are FAR BELOW AVERAGE. Better connect the activities of the global organization with local market needs to increase competiveness.

Advice to Management

Actively recruit and develop diverse talent. Be more thoughtful of asking people to work during core hours and provide more flexible work/telecommuting policies. Increase communication and collaboration between the global and local organizations.