SC Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

SC Johnson Reviews

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance, development opportunities (in 48 reviews)

• Good benefits and you get a nice break over Christmas - New Year (in 21 reviews)

Cons

"SCJ may have already lost its way"

I worked at SC Johnson full-time

Pros

Lots of great a people at the lower levels of the organization. Also, you can still find some great people managers here and there that are like elusive unicorns in the organization.
    Good benefits and you get a nice break over Christmas - New Year.

Cons

Large culture shift - driven by workaholic, power-hungry, upper management that's thrives on empty rhetoric to employees. No empowerment at lower levels anymore. Disorganization and lack of clear vision on HOW to move business forward drives long, unsustainable workload. Very little focus on people and team in this new environment. New shift in culture also includes lots of finger-pointing and in-fighting, very little focus on trust and collaboration. All in all, it's a shame that SCJ's global organization has implemented such a polar opposite culture than historic SCJ and the high turnover is evidence of this.

Mar 28, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Organizational and process shifts like we’ve had always bring some temporary bumps in the road, but we also work hard to keep what makes SCJ unique. We’re sorry your experience wasn’t positive. We... More

"Project Manager"

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time

Pros

SC Johnson has good benefits for its employees: health benefits, flexible schedule, gyms in several locations, and good paying jobs.
    The headquarters main campus with its Frank LLoyd buildings, it is a joy to work around the beautiful buildings and surround areas.
    The company supports employee continue education through in-house training, on-line courses, master degrees, or outside training.
    Thank you!

Cons

Employee morale is the worst that I have seen in many years.
    Environment of fear of loosing your job or making an unintended error.
    High employee turn over in some areas of the company.

Advice to Management

I have not advice to management.

Mar 28, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thank you for your review. It’s helpful to see what SCJ people value and where we can improve.

"Director"

I worked at SC Johnson full-time

Pros

It did have a warm and paternal culture, a culture where the people mattered and the goodwill of the people was everything.
    Overall, very friendly people to work with, the people below the senior management who do all the work, work hard.
    Good facilities for parents and children, excellent access to the gym, recreation activities.

Cons

The culture of the company now has changed not evolved to what made SCJ a unique place to work. People do not seem to matter, working excessive hours with little if any recognition for the work.
    Recognition, promotions have not been consistent, and employees are left with not knowing what as an individual you need to do to be recognized or what is valued.
    Racine, the location is a downside, for recruiting the best talent - small town not diverse and not much to do.
    Diversity, through so much change and reorganiztion, the company has lost the diversity of people from different cultures and backgrounds either by self exiting the company or asked to leave.

Advice to Management

Without the people, there will not be a company. SCJ was seen to be a highly reputable company, a company that people wanted to work at. That has been lost with such significant change over the last 2 years. Corporations need to evolve, but maintain their uniqueness that attracted talent in the first place, not change so far that they are unrecognisable.

Mar 2, 2017 – The SCJ Team

We're sorry you feel the culture at SCJ has changed too much. As we come through the organizational evolution of the past few years, some ways of operating have certainly changed. But we absolutely... More

"Associate Manager RD&E"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Long history, excellent brands, international travel

Cons

Hypocracy, no work life balance, culture of blame and inequality, lack of diversity, mysogeny

Advice to Management

Place more women and minorities as senior management in research not just in HR or marketing, expect realistic amounts of time from a work week, create successions plans for your employees so you can win in the long-term of this heavily regulated industry

Apr 27, 2017 – The SCJ Team

We’re sorry you feel this way. Inclusion and treating people with respect are fundamental to who we are and what we stand for at SCJ. We hope you’ll consider discussing your feelings with your... More

5. "Production Operator"

Former Employee - Production Machine Operator in Waxdale, WI
    Former Employee - Production Machine Operator in Waxdale, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of perks; paid lunches

Cons

Heading towards 12 hr. shifts

Advice to Management

Keep 8 hr. shifts for older employees

"It used to be great to be SCJ, now it's hard to say that."

Current Employee - Production in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Production in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits... kind of.. they (benefits) keep letting less and less every year. Mainly the pay. Some of the individual teams have absolutely wonderful people in them. Also some of the "old timers" are the most knowledgeable people you can meet.

Cons

Management that doesn't listen to its long term employees. In recent years it has turned into a "us" vs "them" mentality between production and the management team. Management seems to have free reign to destroy a culture that thrived within the company. They don't seem to listen to employees on ideas that could benefit the production areas.
    Recently it seems that the regular employee doesn't want to speak up anymore do to some type of retaliation down the road.
    Morale is low, hour are getting longer as they try to cram 12 hr shifts down everyone's throats. They preach about safety but yet seem to bypass it for numbers. Money is being spent on wrong ideas. The quality of training has for sure diminished, as well as the quality of new hires whether it's for the shop floor or new management.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics. Without mastering them you lose effectiveness. Listen to your long timers, they have really great ideas. Let the floor people loose and stop wasting money on half rolled out apt teams that are incredibly inefficient and ineffective. A happy worker is the best asset you can have. They are loyal and would bend over backwards for the company

Mar 2, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for taking the time to write. We agree that loyal, engaged people are vital to SCJ’s success. Your perspective is valued.

"Manager"

I worked at SC Johnson full-time

Pros

Well-known company and brands, experience valued in the industry when you leave

Cons

Nickel and dime employees for everything, too much time spent on busy work and not on strategic level opportunities

"No internal mobility/lack of diversity at all levels"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good partnerships at peer level
    Unique benefits like childcare center and concierge
    Interesting company history

Cons

There was little to no internal mobility in my function, I felt I couldn't build a career here. Overall, the organization is very flat. I was an external hire and it quickly became clear to me that my external perspectives and ways of working were not embraced and folks that did move had deep, personal relationships with leaders. I am also disappointed in lack of good female leaders at this company. The leaders that are in place have never inspired me and have taught me how NOT to treat people and run a business. The lack of focus to drive the business is marred by lack of leadership accountability, an "every man for himself" culture and zero flexibility. In one year nearly everyone on my team has left to pursue opportunities at other organizations.

Advice to Management

I never felt I had purpose working at this company. Share your vision, live up to it and reward the people that are literally killing themselves to work for you. The grass is greener anywhere but at SCJ.

Mar 28, 2017 – The SCJ Team

We’re sorry you feel your time at SCJ didn’t provide you with the career opportunities and purpose you were seeking. We work hard to be a place where people feel inspired to do great work and feel... More

9. "Corporate Rollout implementation project"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson (Less than a year)

Pros

Employment in a stable company with an established position in the market

Cons

Good working environment. Attractive salary based on your professional experience and skills

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great brands, Good Benefits, Good budget, Experienced and fresh work force, Company store, modern labs, Fridays to work from home

Cons

Too much employee turn over, Low morale, Less transparency, Process oriented/not technology oriented, senior management whips around middle management and the pressure flows down stream

Advice to Management

Keep the senior management in one division to get continuity instead of 3 year terms, Have a long term plan instead of changing minds everyday

Jan 23, 2017 – The SCJ Team

Thank you for sharing your advice.