SC Johnson Reviews | Glassdoor

SC Johnson Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good work life balance, development opportunities (in 48 reviews)

• Good benefits and you get a nice break over Christmas - New Year (in 21 reviews)

Cons

"A family company (like your own family, for better or worse)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a true sense of family. Does what it feels is the right thing to do, not just what the analysts would expect it to do in any particular quarter. Truly striving to make an impact in the communities it operates.

Cons

Operating like a family, it can often feel like when your own family gets together for the holidays. Lots of unspoken history that can pit unknowing newcomers and the old guard that sticks to "back in my day" mentality.

Advice to Management

Speak the unspoken. Continue on the path to balance the family aesthetic that makes SCJ unique with the need to run a business in a highly competitive environment.

Oct 11, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Hi, thank you for sharing this review. We’re glad our commitment to doing the right thing resonates with you and is something you see in action. We definitely want to be a culture that rewards and ... More

"One of the few great companies left"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, friendly work environment, work/life balance, quality healthcare benefits at reduced premiums, summer hours, ridiculous total retirement package vested after 3 years. Company growing and very stable. People who come on here and complain about this company really have no clue as to what a tough corporate environment looks like.

Cons

Salaries may be competitive but variable pay is weak. Even at Sr. Manager level, employees start out at low levels of profit sharing. Titles are way off base - Manager at SCJ is really a Director at most companies.

Advice to Management

HR needs to get with the times and make total compensation more lucrative to attract and keep talent. Some transformation is necessary to keep companies relevant and competitive.

Oct 11, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for taking time to leave a review. We appreciate the positive recommendation! We’re always looking for ways to stay competitive with compensation and will pass along your feedback.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

Pros

Commitment to doing what's right for people and the environment is evident in all the company does.

Cons

Top down decision making and controls can stifle entrepreneurial spirit and risk taking.

Advice to Management

Allow for more decision making at a lower level.

Oct 11, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Hi. Thank you for recognizing our commitment to doing the right thing – for people and the environment. These principles have guided our company for generations and it’s great to see they resonate ... More

"Company in constant transformation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I have been working at SC Johnson (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits in terms of salaries, Health Insurance, 401K, Profit Sharing and employees facilities (gym, club, daycare)

Cons

Too many political conversations happening for a small company. Less people caring than before

Advice to Management

It would be great to see more balance between the business and the people.

Oct 11, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for writing. It’s sad that you feel people don’t care as much as they used to. While some might say that’s a trend at many companies these days, we want to be different. The deep loyalty and ... More

6. "Associate Manager, Sales Account Manager"

Current Employee - Associate Manager, Sales Account Manager in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Associate Manager, Sales Account Manager in San Juan, PR

I have been working at SC Johnson (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent family company, very nice environment.

Cons

No cons it's an excellent company.

Oct 11, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for taking time to provide your thoughts – we appreciate the positive recommendation!

"Lack of Integrity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid brands, international presence, some nice people to work with. Family ownership desires to do good in the world. Not as short term focused as public company.

Cons

Senior leadership. Zero empowerment as all decisions made at the senior management level. Lack of ownership for those decisions when failures occur. Makes promises when recruiting employees that it has no intention of honoring. Compensation structure not competitive.

Advice to Management

Replace senior leadership with competent individuals that have integrity.

Oct 25, 2016 – The SCJ Team

We appreciate that you took time to share your thoughts. We want to be the kind of place where people can make a real and significant impact, and empowerment is an important part of that. Getting ... More

"Micro Management only interested in climbing ladder for themselves."

Former Employee - Senior Technician in Bay City, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Technician in Bay City, MI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefit package good . Some good people to work with. Was a better company when founder was still alive.

Cons

Micromanage employees opinion doesn't matter. Treated poorly. Long hours short staffed. When founder was alive the employees mattered now it only about production and poor quality product doesn't seem to matter.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all current management and restructure

Oct 11, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thank you for leaving a review. 10+ years is a long time to be with an employer, and we appreciate your time and hard work. We’re sorry to hear you felt like you were micro-managed and that opinions ... More

"No advancement opportunities"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive. Profit sharing.will be missed.

Cons

BPT does not promote within any longer. They would rather a long time employee leave with company knowledge of 17 years than allow that person to be promoted to a new position they are more than capable of filling. They would rather bring someone new in from the outside and have to train that person in corporate culture. Pay raises in this last fiscal were dismal at best. Not fair to punish those that didn't cause the problems and had no work arounds to get work done because of another department.

Advice to Management

Give decent pay raises to those that do their best. Offer training to train people up to where they aspire to go, not just training for where they currently are. They say career paths are discussed, but management pretty just tells the employees what they will be doing. There is no discussion. Performance management is not data-driven, it's all subjective and how you are perceived today. Recruiting is done outside the organization, there is no promoting from within any longer. If BPT doesn't fix these things soon, the bleeding won't stop any time soon. They say they do the opposite of these things, but they aren't walking the talk. But maybe that is their master plan, to eventually get rid of everyone with any kind of longevity and replace them from the outside or outsource all of BPT. It's no longer the company I came to know an love.

Oct 11, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for leaving these comments. It sounds like you are pretty disappointed in the company. We’re sorry to hear it. We want to be a place where people feel like they have opportunities to grow and ... More

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Racine, WI

I worked at SC Johnson (More than 10 years)

Pros

Category leader, recognized brands, community leadership

Cons

Integrity, opportunity for advancement limited

Oct 11, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Hi, and thanks for writing. We appreciate your positive comments about the company’s brands and philanthropy. Your point about integrity is concerning, however. We always want to do what’s right. If ... More

"Mindseye Research Contractor"

Former Employee - Contractor in Mount Pleasant, WI
    Former Employee - Contractor in Mount Pleasant, WI

I worked at SC Johnson (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the flex-time. My work life balance was great when working here. Beautiful architecture and building. Great People.

Cons

The pay was terrible. The job was boring. I didn't feel empowered. They did not promote from within the CRC which was troublesome to me.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and develop your employees. This will ensure that you have more knowledgeable and better workers overall.

Oct 11, 2016 – The SCJ Team

Thanks for your post. We hope you’ve shared your perspective with the firm you were contracted through, to give them your feedback about your employment with them. For our part, we’re glad you ... More