SCA Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 1, 2019

1.8
Samarth Sarthi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good environment, you will get chance to work with much focused and talented people" (in 3 reviews)

• "No Pros , next to impossible to post positive reviews" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some departments require more improvements in work culture" (in 6 reviews)

• "Note to people working in India: you will be forced to work long hours" (in 4 reviews)

"Amazing Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SCA Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic and challenging work environment with tons of opportunities for growth. Visionary leadership, highly knowledgeable and highly respected in the industry.

Cons

People who are looking forward to build something new and are willing to navigate through all the challenges that come along in such an endeavor will truly enjoy working at SCA and sky is the limit for their growth. Others who do not want to go out of their comfort zone may find it difficult working environment.

2. "Trust me, it is not worth the money"

I worked at SCA Technologies full-time

Pros

the pay was good; smart and nice employees

Cons

terrible office; turnover; terrible management; toxic culture; bad product; long hours; no autonomy or empowerment of employees; lack of HR function

I don't see how this company exits or returns value down the road.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people. Period.

"UGH- I need to be cleansed of bad karma"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SCA Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people who band together through chaos

Cons

Owner is crazy. No leadership. No direction.

Advice to Management

Seek mental health treatment.

"Run the other way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SCA Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people in the office are generally friendly and also hard-working.

Cons

The management is a nightmare based on the CEO's favoritism. Managers who are competent are consistently replaced by yes-men (note: not women) who tell the CEO whatever he wants to hear.

Advice to Management

Give up and hire a real management team.

"Very Difficult!"

Pros

Great people working for the slave owners. Don’t know why anyone with talent would want to be here but there are some very talented people

Cons

Very disorganized and unprofessional leadership, just feels as though you never make a step forward but rather ten back. The CEO is ego centric and really should just audition for a reality TV show rather than “running” a company. Not even sure if he should be called a CEO, that is reserved for those that have a vision for the business, he certainly does not. So we will just call him the AEO (Abusive Executive Officer) which is more appropriate since he doesn’t value anyone, at all, not even the “golden children” as described in other reviews.
    This company thrives on smokes and mirrors, a constant game of thinking they know what is needed and to this day don’t. Bottom line, no leadership, no success and I don’t want to know how deep they’re in the hole at this point. Time to shut it down!

Advice to Management

Grow up

"BA"

I have been working at SCA Technologies full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, decent pay, challenging work

Cons

management is very hard to work for

"Top 10 reasons not to work for SCA Technologies"

I have been working at SCA Technologies full-time

Pros

Most SCA employees are thoughtful professionals, trying to do a good job. Despite many of them being miserable working for SCA, there is a sense that "we're in this together" and willingness to pitch-in, help out and get the job done.

Cons

Top 10 reasons not to work for SCA:
    10. The owner/CEO’s management priority seems to be soothing his own fragile ego, often lashing out at employees in vicious, personal, abusive tirades.
    9. The software product runs like a poorly designed Rube-Goldberg machine. While the development team is generally strong, there is no coherent product management or roadmap directing their efforts.
    8. Client implementations are chaotic, and end-user adoption is poor. There is an urgency to deliver something, anything so long as it's billable, without considering if the product client ready or will meet the customers’ need.
    7. A lot of effort is put into "the next new thing", while features the customer has already paid for are not delivered in a timely manner, and urgent fixes to the current product languish.
    6. Employees are expected to know the company’s goals and direction, and how they fit in, but are berated for asking about it.
    5. Project assignments are made based on the CEO’s whim without reference to employees’ abilities; assignments are subject to change without notice, even to the assignees. Often multiple people are assigned independently to the same tasks, causing confusion and wasting time as they all compete for the same resources.
    4. Ineffective recruiting and personnel management has led to a revolving door of employees. Recent hires have stayed three months or less.
    3. Employees should not expect any sort of work-life balance, professional development opportunities, or respect from company management.
    2. The company culture is abusive and soul-crushing.
    1. An over-abundance of ethically questionable practices.

Advice to Management

Be honest about your skills and shortcomings. Hire professionals who can move the company forward and let them do their jobs.

"Learn a lot while being micromanaged into insanity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SCA Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

2 out of their 6 products are unique and should, eventually, lead the company to success. The 4 products that the customers use synergize really well together and can help improve companies' supply chains. You get to learn a lot about software development (mostly how not to do things) and the customer’s supply chains. The CEO is really good at selling the software so there should always be new customers. Nice people to work with, they will always have your back even if upper management does not.

Cons

This is not a comprehensive list, this is just the major cons that I experienced dealing with upper management, especially the CEO. Note to people working in India: you will be forced to work long hours. I frequently worked with people in India until at least 3 or 4 PM eastern time in the US. You can do the math for your time.
    1. Inconsistency
    a. I like to think of the CEO like Schrodinger's cat, which was famously alive and dead at the same time to explain quantum physics. He is Schrodinger’s CEO, he is both micromanaging everything and complaining that no one is independent. Any attempt to be independent is met with scorn but he will also yell at you for how much work he must do to complete a project because no one else can do the project correctly. I was also banned from talking to the customer because “whenever I talk to the customer I just get confused,” I then got yelled at for going through a 3rd person to solve a customer’s problem. I then just talked to the customer directly and didn’t hear anything.
    b. The CEO does not know what he wants and that is your problem. That is fine, that is common, the CEO has the vision and the employees enact that vision. The problem is he does not know what he wants and that is your fault. I have literally had times that he told me to do something a certain way, done it that certain way, be told this is incorrect and the person who told you to do it that way was wrong, and then I showed him what he told me to do, then he said he did not say that and explained to me how wrong I was and how he will do it.
    c. Planning. The CEO claims to be this amazing planner. He showed me the plan for software releases for one of the customers. Each time he showed me the plan we then updated the plan together and he sent me the updated plan. Each subsequent time he showed me the plan I was seeing a completely different plan. It was a little funny.
    2. Favoritism
    a. There are 3 or 4 “golden children” as the other employees have dubbed them. These people can do no wrong in the CEO’s eyes. In the rest of the employees’ eyes, we are unsure of what they actually do. From what I gathered most of these people sit in on meetings with the CEO and just agree with whatever he says. This is particularly obvious in the weekly Friday get-yelled-at-by-the-CEO meetings.
    b. If you are ever working for one of these golden children be very afraid. The project will fall behind, you will have to do everything and make every decision. They do not know what the CEO wants either and will send you to the CEO to get yelled at for not knowing the plan or sent back to the golden child since they are the project lead. Then when the project, inevitably, does not meet its goals or deadlines you are at fault because the golden child is very busy and can't be held responsible even though they were the project manager.
    c. If you are not one of the CEO’s favorite people you will be essentially blacklisted. You can’t do anything right and he will keep you out of the loop on projects. This is something he has explicitly told me.
    3. Unprofessionalism
    a. The CEO will mock you behind your back. I know this because in a lot of meetings I watched him mock people behind their backs. If someone is willing to mock people behind their backs, they are willing to mock you behind your back. I have watched him call women names when they are not present. This was a major reason behind me leaving, I wanted to confront him about this but did not know how to artfully do so.
    b. The CEO is afraid on non-unilateral conflict. He will not yell at you by himself, he will always be in the room with at least one person who will agree with him 100%. If you try to argue with him on something he is yelling at you for he will just confirm you are wrong with the other person in the room. He will not only keep you out of the loop on some projects but he will also play the telephone game of admonishment. You will hear from person A that person B told them that the CEO told them how wrong you did something.
    c. The CEO only knows one way to manage, fire and brimstone. As you might have gathered from the previous cons, the CEO will yell, A LOT. I was told when I first got there that it was just a special circumstance when he was yelling, but I learned, no it was not at all. He has mid-Friday yell at people and offer no solution to the problem meetings. But don’t worry, he also has the threaten to fire you motivation! I saw on multiple occasions that he would just casually throw around that he can and will fire people if they mess up. And these were not major mistakes they were small mistakes that happen in software development. But you might as well threaten people’s livelihoods so they don’t make the same mistake again.

Advice to Management

Read the negative reviews on here. Notice some consistent trends. Hire someone to manage the software development. Have the CEO focus on sales because that is what he does well.

"Never seen anything so screwed up"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SCA Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good colleagues, but we are all held back

Cons

Crazy, unprofessional management/owner; marginalizes and degrades employees; horrible, long hours, including every weekend and evening to put out fires that could have been avoided if we were allowed to use our expertise.

Advice to Management

Take a class in interpersonal communication and business ethics

"Absolute madness - Arrogant CEO"

Former Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SCA Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing worth mentioning except that my salary package was decent enough

Cons

it runs on whims and fancies of CEO who is not sure what he is trying to do. No work life balance and no job satisfaction

Advice to Management

Hire a professional CEO & CTO