SCC Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SCC Chief Executive James Rigby
James Rigby

Pros
Cons
  • No pay rises for 5 years ( unless you work in sales) (in 42 reviews)

• Always get told how SCC buck the trend and make a profit but no pay rises for the workers unless you are in sales (in 27 reviews)

1. "Short term contract"

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

IT Service provider so a good range of project types to gain experience on

Cons

None while I was there

2. "Good place to start"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iaşi (Romania)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iaşi (Romania)

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A stable business where you can learn almost all the technologies and I think it's one of the best place where to start, if you want to work on this field.

Cons

They don't keep up with the market trends in regards of work place environment.

Advice to Management

Be open minded and try to keep up with the big companies. They will have more benefits if they can do that.

3. "General"

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very customer oriented and also employee oriented

Cons

they are sometime too customer oriented

"Work hard and you'll be rewarded"

Pros

Working in sales at SCC can be very rewarding if you work hard, smart and achieve results.

The company has a clear strategic direction, including the growth of it's Managed Services portfolio through acquisition/partnering with other companies. SCC is a company that isn't scared to make changes in its strategic direction as well as internal staff/teams. There's a culture of learning with 'skill pills' to ensure we understand our capabilities and how to articulate to our customers.

I've received 2 pay rises in the past 3 years and the commission structure is good.

Better employee reward schemes with discount purchases and more recently ability to purchase additional holiday days.

SCC rewards it's top performers with annual trips to fantastic destinations (New York, Barbados, Cape Town, etc) and monthly SCC Champion awards with weekends away. Again, work hard and you will benefit from these schemes.

Finally, there are some very good people working for SCC and have made many new friends.

Cons

Sometimes we're a victim of our own success with all the new business wins. Need to ensure that we have the capacity to successfully deliver and satisfy all of our customers.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on developing and rewarding your staff.

Oct 17, 2016 – SCC

Thank you for your review.

""SCC - Professional Services" - A great place to work, a great team of people and awesome management in place."

Current Employee - Technical Architect - Professional Services
    Current Employee - Technical Architect - Professional Services

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good management, flexible working. And as professionals our management have a level of trust and don't micro manage us. Our main goal is delivery of projects and utilisation to ensure we are profitable. Let us crack on with that...

Cons

Senior management can be a bit over bearing and spoil the party, meaning that our results aren't appreciated. Very little praise for all our efforts also from senior management.

Advice to Management

Regular appraisals, I'm not saying pay rises. Just one on ones to ensure both employees and management are satisfied with each other. Lots of us go far beyond the call of duty. Working late nights and early mornings and barley seeing family some weeks. Non of this ever appreciated. Whereas if one person falls short within the team, we are all tarred with the same brush.

Sep 12, 2016 – SCC

Thank you for your honest review. We recently relaunched our appraisal process to offer regular Performance Development Reviews which will address your note around working more closely with your ... More

"Generally Positive."

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros

The cream rise to the top, work hard and put a shift in to ensure your customers get a great service (whether it be internal customers of a service or external) and you will get noticed when an opportunity comes along. I can only talk from my experience of working within and very closely too many areas of the business (very little experience with the services side of the business).
    I joined SCC for a planned gap year and have been with this business for over 10 years. I have carried out 11 different jobs at SCC and around 6 of them were promotions. I have had my compensation package increase 4/5 fold in this time. I have attended 5 external courses and several soft skills training opportunitites in this time. I have more 3 more already booked in the near future.

I would also like to point out we have a small but very hard working HR team who i believe do what they can to be as helpful to all employees.

We have a newish L&D manager who has lots of ideas and is really emphuisiastic. She has been an absolute pleasure in every dealing ive had.

Max on reception is one of SCC golden gems, helpful, polite and professional to all that cross her path.

Cons

There seem to be some areas of the business that need real attention and addressing from the owners/board down as far too many bad reviews in the same or similar areas of the business create a negative impression for potential new talent.

We need as a business to try and follow best practice where possible across the group to keep a consistent and clear direction that is understood by all at SCC.

We need to feel the entire board are working together on a clear and concise stategy as a cohesive unit.

Very little negativity from me as i feel heart is innthe right place in the business and just need to be a littlenless cloak and daggers. The more communication lines that are open, the quicker issues can be identified and resolved.

Advice to Management

Bring long standing employees with years of experience with SCC up to Market rate if not above it show they are truly valued and not that bare minimum will be done to keep them in the SCC family.
    Show these glassdoor reviews to Sir Peter and James Rigby so key business areas with problems get the required attention before the negativity impacts the business and therefore our customers even more.
    Sir Richard Bransons model of training staff so heavily they are wanted by all but paying them a salary that they would never want to leave is thenway for the future and tonget many more positive reviews.

Aug 14, 2016 – SCC

"Network Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros

For contract workers there was a decent expenses policy, the work was very varied and the clients were from a diverse group of industry. They allowed me to work with a let of autonomy and little supervision.

Cons

None in particular that I can recall, other than that there was a pressure on the line manager to convert contractors to permies.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but don't push for a contractor to permie change if it's not received well immediately, there is a lot of benefit to engaging outside industry consultants.

"Steady but sure"

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Private company means no shareholder dividends to be met, this seems to be reflected in less short term thinking and very few if any redundancies in the past few years (that I know of).

More investment in technology in the last few years than before, staff retention fairly good after first year.

Entry salary can be low, but showing loyalty and exceeding expectations is rewarded.

Cons

Lack of onsite facilities in newly renovated offices. In one a cafeteria has been built but unstaffed for months.

Small company and few directors means sometimes sign off on things are slow (e.g. recruitment paperwork).

Advice to Management

Innovate more, the old way is not always the best.

Look to let go of the reins a little, your staff are more skilled and dedicated than you might anticipate.

Aug 10, 2016 – SCC

Thank you for your honest review. The new cafeteria in our refurbished, state-of-the-art customer service centre is due to open very, very soon.

"Life's what you make it, so is SCC!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People
    Flexible and agile company
    Financial Secure company
    Privately owned
    Rewards Success
    Benefits are improving

Cons

Those who have worked at big corporate companies where it's easy to hide and aren't happy to earn their salary should not apply. At SCC the expectation is you have to do your job which some people really struggle with. You will be expected to meet targets, if you exceed them you will be well rewarded, if you don't you won't enjoy your time at SCC.

Advice to Management

Get the benefits package right and be more flexible about being in the office every day.

"Salary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company with 'lite touch' management style

Cons

Salary review appear infrequent/non existent :(

Advice to Management

More explicit polices and communications around remuneration, reward and reviews.

Dec 21, 2015 – SCC

Thanks you for your review. In January, we're piloting our new Performance Development Review (PDR) programme - and we've worked hard this year to increase communications around employee incentives. ... More