SCC Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SCC Chief Executive James Rigby
James Rigby

Pros
Cons
  • No pay rises for 5 years ( unless you work in sales) (in 42 reviews)

• Always get told how SCC buck the trend and make a profit but no pay rises for the workers unless you are in sales (in 27 reviews)

1. "Company"

I have been working at SCC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities, great career development.
    Hard working and experienced management teams.

Cons

All good, no negatives at SCC

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you doing!

"Service manager"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros

I do not believe this section is applicable to my experience

Cons

Not sure the current management structure understand the industry well enough to give to organisation stratigic direction. I've seen many individuals at senior levels with no relevant experience in the area they manage and no real understanding of their ACTUAL capability vs what they have sold to their customers.
    Personally I did not agree morally with being asked to manipulate facts to my customers and quickly left.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what advice I can give you will actually take forward and reward your current staff. It seems speaking to people that you have attracted the right over the years but they have moved on when they realise the current management structure are not willing to demonstrate transparency and are stuck in Stone Age working practices

"Job totally mis-sold"

I worked at SCC full-time

Pros

So when it comes to the pros of working for SCC, I can't really think of any whatsoever, other than a good salary.

Cons

My interview with SCC filled me with hope, the hiring manager was very interested in my previous skills and experience. When I started with SCC, it quickly became apparent that everything I was told at the interview was completely un-true. There was a huge lack of direction by management and it actually took 5 weeks before I was given something to do!

Advice to Management

Don't mis sell jobs, people will just come and then go elsewhere when they realise they they have been mis-sold the job.

"same old , same old"

Former Employee - IT Desktop Support Engineer in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Desktop Support Engineer in Bracknell, England (UK)

Pros

Nice friendly people every one gets on and every one does a good Job

Cons

every concievable benefit is the bare minimum , Sick pay , redundancy pay , holiday pay & travel expenses . Welcome to Swains world and Rita Pygmy management team well behind the times . Always get told how SCC buck the trend and make a profit but no pay rises for the workers unless you are in sales . executive board still able to feather there own pockets

Advice to Management

need to be with the times . Remember your best assets are your employees . the rate you are going you wont have any decent employees left !

6. "Short term contract"

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

IT Service provider so a good range of project types to gain experience on

Cons

None while I was there

"Configuration Department is a joke"

Former Employee - Configuration Engineer in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Configuration Engineer in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at SCC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worse department you can work for after change of management

Cons

Management faults always go back to blame engineers.

Advice to Management

Change your management before disaster happens especially in the Networks department where the new manager is unqualified to run that department.

"sold me a job that didn't exist"

I have been working at SCC full-time

Pros

good salary and working hours

Cons

existing staff nit open to new employees, odd culture between long standing employees and newbies
    sold a job that had not been scoped prior

Advice to Management

beware of new staff being made to feel outcast and unable to carry out their job due to existing staff standing in the way, too much internal conflict and friction

"SCC"

Current Employee - Office Based in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Office Based in Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros

the people are really nice to work with

Cons

training is non existent, and the management rudderless

Advice to Management

stick to the plan

"False threats and false promises - Negative energy!"

I worked at SCC full-time

Pros

There are some nice and friendly people in work with and I can call some of them close friends.

Cons

Where do I begin....

The management have no idea what's going on. They have no technical skills and can barely type up an email without spelling mistakes or incorrect grammar. The communication between manager(s) and employee is non existence as the managers just talk down to the staff and pass the blame onto them even when the fault is nothing to do with them. Managers don't even know their apprentices by name and not being able to pronounce the names correctly. Managers give out personal information to other staff while questioning if a member of staff is lying or making up stories just to get that extra sick or compassionate day. Example - managers questioned whether a member of staff was lying about a death in his or her family. Managers are also known posting false figures and making them up just to have a go at members of staff. That is why staff are always keeping track and record of their figures just to watch their own back. Double standards on lateness is there, managers are, if not, always late to work while bringing in McDonald's breakfast meal to eat but then to have a go and give verbal warning out to staff who are less than 60 seconds late while the managers are half a hour or a good day 10 minutes late.

The Apprenticeship scheme is beyond a joke! The apprentice's are just used as cheap labour. They are sold false promises of working on different departments and stock but are given jobs no one wants do such as cleaned wires and keypads. They receive minimum training and left to fend for themselves and expand their skills and experience in their own time or shadowing a mentor. They do this through out the apprenticeship without any development. The managers usually moan at apprentice's about there output however they claim they "do not monitor or track apprentice's output or figures.

95% of the staff are nice, friendly and easy to get along with. However there are some members of staff who are back stabbing snitches. Those people are people who act like your friend to only snitch on you to management just people are talking too loud or viewing the web when themselves are streaming music off YouTube or reading BBC news. These people also pass the blame onto other people when they messed up but when confronted say they "haven't done one of those before." Lies! The snitches are so far up the management that they think they are untouchable but little do they know that they will in the same position on the same wage doing the same work for the rest of their working careers (lifer).

The pay is unexplainably minimum wage. No pay rises are given because of "Brexit" but the company brags about the enormous profits the company is making. But when pay rises are bought up in appraisals they are quickly swept shut down. Overtime is a joke as overtime is just single time when doing it but else where overtime is time and a half or double time.

Progression is non existence as internal applications will be block by managers when you're on holiday and is not involved that the application has been black. No training is given within the workshop or field support.

The working conditions are awful! Air conditioners that don't work but when "repaired" only blows out cold air, we are just told to put fleeces on and put up with it. Staff computers and equipment are out dated and not with the times (Test rigs with Windows 95 and XP installed). Staff have to be scanned out by security when leaving the building but managers are not. Personal mobile phones have to be left with security, at home or in the car due to information with leak or taken out. However managers are allowed to bring in their personal mobile phones but told it will "not to be used for person usage." But I have on a number of times caught managers using their mobile phones during working hours using it for personal use such as ringing up Amazon about an recent order or speaking to someone about which cat litter to buy.

Advice to Management

Threat your staff better and with respect. Improve the pay and bring in a pay rise or bonus scheme. Management to improve their communication with and towards staff.

"An Embarresment of a company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at SCC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are litterally no good reasons to work for SCC. Some say the 'people are good' but some people you see as friends 'arent your friends' in the words of my old manager.

Cons

Here we go, You're bullied and belittled by your managers, who know nothing about the job they should be doing, or the job that you're hired to do. They only speak to you when you've done something wrong (in their eyes) and they are quick to side with HR if they want to get rid of you. We saw a guy get hired and fired in the same day, just because management didnt like him. Management will turn people, including your friends against you, and will take your breaks off you after years to 'boost 15 minutes of productivity'.

There is no progression. Apprentices that start will continually be imaging hard drives or cleaning cables, basically cheap labour, where the only time they learn things is when they get AWAY from work for a week to do a training course externally through their apprenticeship program. Even once you finish an apprenticeship your money goes up by the bare minimum and you will still continue to do the same labourious job you were doing before, Except then you're yelled at more.

The working conditions are cramped, hot, and dark. The workshop has no windows and the air con doesnt even work. When you're melting during the summer you're expected to just get on with it.

My advice, Just stay away.
    I mean come on, No air con?

Advice to Management

Just quit, you'd probably all be better in a barn anyway. But i need 20 words so blah blah