SCI Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Nice group"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer, Editor in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer, Editor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at SCI Consulting (Less than a year)

Pros

SCI Consulting is a nice group of people. Very easy to communicate with, very supportive of individual contractors. Any questions posed are quickly addressed, and they have an open door policy. I have had absolutely no problems or concerns whilst working on this contract.

Cons

This current contract is a 4/10 work week, so that takes a while to get acclimated. Other than that, I have no negatives to post.

"THE SHIP HAS SUNK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Pros

The front desk looked nice

Cons

This is a sunken ship that is being ran by the devil Lynette Spano and will continue to sink until she is out of the picture. I think that she feels she's the smartest person and doesn't take anyone's advice because she knows it all.

Advice to Management

Close up shop because God will not Bless a mess and that is what your company is a mess.

"Unscrupulous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

Pros

Company is woman owned and is apt to keep getting contract awards

Cons

Not proud of things I know about the company

Advice to Management

Karma

"Bad Career Choice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

None None None None None

Cons

This is purely focused on the CEO. She is good at selling you about SCI and that's where it ends. They have made a bad transition to not being a Small Business. It's always someone else's fault. Hence there is no one in a leadership position for more than 6-9 months at Headquarters. Not telling someone the complete answer is called lying. She has no respect for your time, it's all about her. No trust.

After several interviews after SCI, most Companies know her and refuse to do business with her. Most have a story about SCI from other former employees.

You will never see SCI on my resume.

Advice to Management

The first choice isn't involving a Lawyer.

"Worst Company I Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

There are some very talented staff at HQ which help keep some semblance of sanity - or at least good comradely in the up-side-down world of SCI.

Cons

You are wondering if these negative reviews are written by a bunch of bad apples with an axe to grind. I advise you to take a very careful look before you accept a position because chances are high you will deeply regret the decision. I did not read any reviews (my bad!) before accepting a position - long story but they snuck in my interview and job offer while the CEO was on vacation.

Executive management will demoralize you and rob you of your happiness (now you think I'm being dramatic, but wait until your friends/family notice the light has gone from your eyes), as they/she have no boundaries for your time and even safety - no storm or state of emergency can stop Lynette from demanding her staff run to her at any time including evenings and weekends, just to show she can control you. I realized after the first week of employment I had made a big mistake. After two months I started planning my exit strategy. A short time after resigning I was contacted by one of Lynette's family members with an offer to come back. What the heck! I was still recovering from PTSD!

Advice to Management

Accept that you can not lead people or a company and find someone who can do the job right before it is too late.

"Toxic culture"

I worked at SCI Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HR team is nice and tries to help.

Cons

Turnover at Headquarters in McLean, VA is the highest I have ever seen. Turnover at HQ was around 90% in 2015. Average tenure at HQ was probably about 6 months. SCI tries to hide this fact by citing company wide turnover (including customer projects in the field) in response to inquiries. Hardly a week went by when someone wasn't fired or pressured to resign. Nearly everybody who works at SCI HQ started in 2015.

Due to the extreme turnover, files are a mess and there is no continuity from one management team to the next. There are no policies and no procedures are followed so nothing is ever documented. SCI senior management takes no responsibility for high turnover and doesn't seem to understand (or care) how difficult the turnover makes it for employees to do their job. SCI employees spend inordinate amounts of time responding to audits because the files are in terrible shape and validating pricing or contractual actions from as recently as 1 or 2 years ago is an enormous challenge.

CEO doesn't trust anybody and will not delegate any authority whatsoever. No matter what your title is, if you work at HQ you will effectively be nothing more than an assistant to the CEO. Expect to receive calls at all hours of the day and night and on weekends asking for documents, emails, etc She will not ask for your input or advise, but, rather, will treat you like a admin assistant and demand you fetch documents for her. She already has most of the documents that she continually requests because she is unorganized.

CEO often arrives late morning and works into the evening. That's her right as owner, of course, but, she expects everyone else to arrive by 8:30am and will become angry if people leave around 5 or 6. If you're not there when she wants something from you, even if it is 7pm or later and you already worked a 10+ hour day, you will hear about it. She walks the halls after 6 and often loudly exclaims "where is everyone?!" When she's not there, she calls to check up on who is there. The office receptionist is required to track when employees arrive and leave and employees are routinely disciplined if they dare to step out to take a personal phone call or get coffee, etc.

There is no flexibility at SCI. Employees are directed to take PTO for any time missed even if they have worked 50+ hour weeks. Management walks the halls regularly checking up on employees. Expect to receive constant feedback on your work style regardless of your productivity. Remote telework is not allowed under any circumstances. Employees are disciplined for leaving early even if the employee had already worked 50+ hours that week and even when leave is approved by the employee's direct supervisor in advance.

CEO has hired many of her immediate family to work in positions they lack qualifications for. This breeds resentment as employees have to constantly hand hold and teach her family how to do their jobs - while they watch their more experienced, qualified peers be fired or pressured to quit.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and delegate authority to let them do their jobs or sell the company.

"Could not be worse"

I worked at SCI Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The last review had it spot on... Due to a serious lack of actual good leadership from the CEO nothing can or will ever get done. Worse, I think the CEO actually believes she is not the problem. Imagine a CEO who believes she is right about everything, cannot actually listen or follow advise from experienced professionals who know more than her, and changes her mind every 5 minutes.

Cons

When I joined I believed that the negative glassdoor reviews were balanced by the positive. I am now convinced that the positive ones are fabricated by her family members who Lynette asked to post. The CEO is all about image and doesn't care about substance as long as it looks good to her. I bet the positive reviews here are faked.

Advice to Management

Lynette should sell the company, or at least step down and retire and hire someone else to turn it around. If SCI had a board, she would have been fired long ago.

"Stay Away!"

I worked at SCI Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The HR team is really nice and helpful, and some parts of the management team genuinely want to change the negative course of the organization.

Cons

Do your homework and before taking a job here. Try speaking with former employees who worked at HQ. Also be sure to ask about the HQ turnover issue, if I had to guess the average lifespan of an HQ employee is 9 months. I read Glassdoor before taking a job at SCI. I thought the negative reviews were overblown and the the company culture issues were behind them, boy was I wrong.

I'm not even sure where to begin.
    1. The culture is TOXIC. As with any work environment there are some genuinely nice people who work hard and do a great job. There are others who do nothing but play political games and throw people under the bus.
    2. The company is incredibly reactionary. For example, the CEO will walk around one evening at 5:45PM. When she sees that no one is at their desk, there will be a policy change the next day that makes people stay until 6. This is just one example of many.
    3. There is NO flexibility. No options for telecommuting, no flex time when you work long hours. As so many organizations move to increase flexibility, it feels like SCI is moving in the opposite direction.
    4. They monitor where you are at all times. If you step out for a coffee you are required to tell the receptionist where you are going. The CEO frankly trusts no one. in January they sent around an email saying that you were required to use the front door of the suite so that the receptionist can see that you are leaving.
    5. There was not a single two week period that someone didn't quit or get fired. It is a tumultuous environment to say the least.
    6. Several of the CEOs family members either work for the company or for organizations that rely on SCI's corporate resources. This might be one of the most frustrating aspects of the company. They don't really add value but just create more drama.
    7. You are working at the whim of someone who is incredibly irrational. Even if you have a great immediate supervisor who will shield you from the BS, you are still at risk of getting in trouble.
    8. The benefits are mediocre at best. Some of the healthcare plans went up over 100% this past year. The 401k match is pathetic. The pay is actually decent, but not really above what you could get elsewhere.
    9. The CEO is downright rude and mean at times. I have seen her demean C level execs and VPs in front of people in company meetings. People excuse it on her personality but I am not ok with working for an organization that treats people this way.

Advice to Management

The CEO should trust her senior leaders to make positive changes.

9. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Open Minded in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Open Minded in McLean, VA

I have been working at SCI Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Must come prepared to meet challenges and produce results to work for this company. Agile and receptive to the direction and management of this firm are paramount to success.

Cons

Change, change and more change is the battle cry of the day. like all industry, change is necessary.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek proactive players in the industry that are interested in adding value that will ultimately drive revenue and profit.

"Review by Rachel Saldivar"

Former Employee - Vice President in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Diego, CA

I worked at SCI Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working for Lynette Spano. My work was exciting, challenging, and productive. SCI is a wonderful company to work for. HIgh-qulaity ethics with a client focus.

Cons

There were no negatives associated with working at SCI.

Advice to Management

The window of opportunity is now.