SCL Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
SCL Health Interim President and CEO Lydia Jumonville
Lydia Jumonville

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people are usually nice, and there is a good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• St Francis is a large company with good benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Haven't had even a 2% cost of living raise in the last few years (in 5 reviews)

• Too many upper management staff members with very little support to staff on the ground at care sites (in 8 reviews)

1. "SCL: a great place to serve others and yourself"

I worked at SCL Health full-time

Pros

The company has a very strong missional culture. The work environment is professional, committed to quality and totally committed to the wellbeing of its associates and patients

Cons

Since the mission of a good healthcare organization is strong, the work never ends. Be mindful of your work life balance.

2. "Wish it was more advanced and up to date"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at SCL Health (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s the largest hospital in this area. Some floors have great team work and want you to succeed. It’s almost like you’re part of a family.

Cons

Poor wages compared to cost of living. Some floors are very scattered and don’t practice up to date techniques and policies

3. "Bad Leadership"

Current Employee - Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at SCL Health full-time

Pros

SCL has great work life balance and benefits. My immediate coworkers are great people. The work is rewarding because of the mission.

Cons

Leadership is out of touch with what is going within their own organizations. Promotion of under qualified people into leadership roles have lead to dissatisfaction, silos, and turnover. VP levels and above continue to fail to recognize the harm to morale. Little to no opportunity for advancement. Certain organizations are promoting and hiring themselves into mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the effectiveness of your leaders.

"Spiritual and Palliative Care Chaplain"

Former Employee - Spiritual and Palliative Care Chaplain in Lafayette, CO
    Former Employee - Spiritual and Palliative Care Chaplain in Lafayette, CO

I worked at SCL Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SCL Health is very visionary and greatly values Spiritual and Palliative Care Chaplain services. Growing and Flowing with the program is expected yet supported.

SCL Health is committed to supporting the whole persons of its patients, family and friends, as is demonstrated by its growing of Spiritual and Palliative Care Chaplain services. Where some entities struggle to appreciate and integrate Spiritual Care, cutting back on staff and even sometimes replacing professionally qualified and certified staff with volunteers lacking SCL Health in Colorado led by brilliant visionary leadership holds true its vision and values, raising service levels, increasing service avenues and adding professional, certified Spiritual and Palliative Care Chaplains as it grows.

What you can learn there about vision and communication of value as a Chaplain is unparalleled in any other opportunity of which I am aware. Even though I had already enjoyed success in recruiting, training and leading grass-roots spiritual care collaboration, I learned high-level, visionary collaboration like never before and it continues to impact my life favorably.

Our manager infused this not only in me but also in the whole team who have also greatly contributed to my personal, spiritual and professional growth.

"We work to learn, not just earn." Mr. Rod Smith, Denver Bronco #80

In my experience and humble opinion there is no better team in this area with which learn, grow and flow in ways you cannot anticipate.

Cons

Very demanding of creative energy. So Work-Life balance may be challenging with such expansive vision for the department.

You need to be very clear about your boundaries and to be very good at self-management to keep up and have energy left for your other purposes in life. If this is not you, start part time and make it a growth goal with your manager. If you are very accomplished at this, or if you are content giving most all of your energy to this one passion, then dive in. That was challenging for me. There is no better system for Chaplain development. I would love to return.

Advice to Management

I advise management in general to keep growing in the direction of embracing the inescapable facts that some energy is always lost and what we hoped was clear ends up somehow foggy at every level of the complex, dynamic reality of healthcare.

Over-communication before and after action decreases these effects by increasing interpersonal bonds that transmit greater portions of energy and by increasing mutual use of appropriate personal communication styles.

This can only occur in an atmosphere that does not allow frustration over a lack of transfer and over fogginess to turn into an occasion to blame.

The Spiritual and Palliative Care Department has been making excellent strides along these lines.

I advise that management in general continues in this direction.

5. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at SCL Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Associates have a can do attitude

Cons

Associates who are territorial and don't support the team.

6. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheat Ridge, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheat Ridge, CO

I have been working at SCL Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Quality, mission driven, person centered

Cons

Hospital billing process is inconsistent and often system rules don't take individual hospital issues into account

7. "so so"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at SCL Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, decent benefits.

Cons

No opportunity for growth. Inexperienced management.

Advice to Management

If you are not a people person do not manage people.

8. "Staff Nurse"

Current Employee - Nurse
    Current Employee - Nurse

I have been working at SCL Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Transparent leadership
    culture of safety

Cons

Pay could be more competitive especially since it is difficult to obtain staff in our area
    Advance is difficult, people stay in their positions for a long time

9. "Lutheran is the best of the best!"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Wheat Ridge, CO
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Wheat Ridge, CO

I have been working at SCL Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great managers, staff, free continuing education classes, pay, benefits....

Cons

Nothing so far nothing!

"No Communication"

Current Employee - Medical Receptionist
    Current Employee - Medical Receptionist

I have been working at SCL Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly, the job is easy, and they do not ask much

Cons

There is no communication between management and employees. The management constantly changes things without actually knowing how it effecting the employees. It also creates a mess with projects and employees because no one knows what anyone else is doing.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the logo no one cares you are wasting your money. You should be instead taking care of your employees so that they would give your company more business.