SCO Family of Services "vacation time" Reviews | Glassdoor

SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews about "vacation time"

Updated Mar 31, 2017

2.8
SCO Family of Services President and CEO Keith M. Little
Keith M. Little
Pros
Cons
  • "Low Pay with low incremental pay raises(in 20 reviews)

• "no room for growth, low pay for industry(in 13 reviews)

Reviews about "vacation time"

Return to all Reviews

"Great team"

Current Employee - Case Planner in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have never loved a team I work with so much. Everyone works great together and there is a real sense of caring and looking out for each other. Hours are somewhat flexible, great benefits and vacation time.

Cons

Policies and practices that are mandatory are sometimes hard to work with because you know they might not be in the best interest of the clients. It's an emotionally demanding job. Seems like other programs in the agency aren't run as well as the particular one I work at so other experiences could differ.

SCO Family of Services2016-12-28
  2. "Great learning experience"

Case Planner in Queens, KY

I worked at SCO Family of Services

Pros

What i enjoyed most about the job was the learning experience, working and getting to know the families and the Vacation time

Cons

The job is very intense its very easy to get Over worked in a 35 hour work week, to do visits, paper work and charts and meetings

SCO Family of Services2017-03-31
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Second time around"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dix Hills, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked for this agency once before and quit because of the working conditions, but I thought a different site might have a different culture. There have been some improvements but it is mostly the same. Generous sick and vacation time Provides clinical supervision for licensing hours Staff is friendly Agency-provided trainings run year-round

Cons

Everything is still documented in handwriting Program is understaffed It takes months to replace someone which leaves more work for remaining staff (perpetual cycle) Because leadership is absent, mid-level staff is supporting entry-level staff Clients are treated better than staff Clients are becoming more entitled and less respectful Policies are constantly changing that no one knows what the rules are It seems some clients are not appropriately placed and would be better served in a HLOC

Advice to Management

Nurture and fight for your staff to be fairly treated and compensated so there is less turn over.

SCO Family of Services2017-03-07

"salaries are a joke"

Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services

Pros

lots of vacation time and sick days, working at a non-profit makes you feel like you can help to make a difference in these people's lives.

Cons

salaries are very low for most workers but too high for executive directors, they need to spread the wealth to the people actually working instead of just having meetings to talk about people working. salaries are bad unless you are management, no room for growth, no cost of living raises. will only get a better position if you are friends with management.

Advice to Management

how about actually responding to the reviews instead of pasting the same reply for every review, makes hr look lazy

SCO Family of Services2016-08-20

"not a good place to work"

Assistant Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services for more than 3 years

Pros

Can accumulate a lot of vacation time if you are rarely absent and a full time employee.

Cons

no opportunity for advancement, terrible pay, health insurance plan not good, administration staff not supportive.

SCO Family of Services2016-07-25
  7. "Nurse salary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dix Hills, NY

I worked at SCO Family of Services part-time

Pros

Decent vacation time, great residents.

Cons

Not flexible, low pay, unorganized staff

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the nurse's needs.

SCO Family of Services2016-06-09
  8. "Pros and Cons But Good Experience"

I have been working at SCO Family of Services

Pros

Great experience, some good coworkers, meaningful work, lots of vacation time, lots of sick time.

Cons

disparity between administrators and employees in programs, little room for growth, frustrating populations to work with.

Advice to Management

make raises performance based.

SCO Family of Services2016-03-17
  9. "Preventive Case Worker"

Former Employee - Preventive Case Worker in Suffolk, VA

I worked at SCO Family of Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great first job. You will learn a great deal and working with kids and families is very rewarding. The flexibility in the schedule was very good and so was the amount of vacation time. I always felt that my supervisor had my back and would back me up in decisions and situations. We had a lot of freedoms in what we could do for clients and I never felt micromanaged. If I you got your work done and informed your supervisor about situations, they pretty much allowed you to be.

Cons

Very low salary with no chance to increase the salary. There was a high turn over which meant new staff quite often and having to absorb the caseworker's caseload that left. I also did not like that the locations of the client and the caseworker were not considered in deciding who to give what case which would often mean an absurd amount of driving.

Advice to Management

I know this would be difficult as the program is funded through DSS, but SCO needs to consider compensating the employees out of the organizations budget otherwise you will never be able to keep your good workers. This will always be just a good first job without an increase in pay, which is a disservice to the program and the families it serves. I'd also really advise to consider where your caseworkers live when giving out the cases because giving people who live further east a case in Amityville for example and giving someone who lives in Nassau a case in Riverhead doesn't make sense. It might not always be possible, but it should be considered more.

SCO Family of Services2016-01-14
  10. "You definitely get to learn a lot if you are interested in social services."

Current Employee - Advocate Counselor in New York, NY

I have been working at SCO Family of Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A good amount of vacation time and awesome co workers. People are friendly and it is a big agency spread throughout Brooklyn and Queens

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth. unless you are interested in the foster care population it is hard for you to move around the agency.

SCO Family of Services2014-08-12