SCS Global Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stan Rhodes

1. "New Employee - Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

The HR team has been helpful, kind and informative; very positive on-boarding. The benefits are amazing.

The training process has gone smooth and the team has realistic expectations in regards to the learning process and job duties. Extremely positive training experience.

Cons

There are none that I have experienced.

2. "Manager"

Pros

Programs deal in many different sectors and industries which keeps it very interesting. Mission based work with colleagues who care. Decent benefits and basic workplace wellness programs in place. Relaxed professional office atmosphere. Decent enough pay. Opportunities for learning and mentorship.

Cons

Service areas are siloed, creating divisions in programs that otherwise could be more comprehensive and integral in scope. Company is lacking overall unified strategy for service, innovation, and branding and employees often caught between upper management conflicts. CEO shifts direction often, such that priorities not always clear. Traditional hierarchical employee structure and outdated office (central cubicles surrounded by the outer view offices) is uninspi

Advice to Management

Seek third party facilitation and leadership development to bring all of your genius, passion, persistence, and success into a very clear and unified strategy that would inspire your world class employees to build the most impactful organization possible, creating tremendous abundance while improving the state of the world for future generations.

3. "Good Company and nice working environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

I recently joined SCS and have really enjoyed working for this Company. The job interviews, hiring process, training and other job-related activities have been conducted in a very professional manner. Salary and benefits are very competitive and the HR department is very helpful in solving any issue or concern. Both of these, considerably better than in my previous Company. I have received great help and support from the HR department, co-workers and my superiors. And as a fairly new employee I see great opportunities for professional growth.

Cons

The choices in health care do not extend to all areas and can be limited for employees working remotely. However, the HR department is working on finding better options.

Advice to Management

Your efforts in helping new employees are much appreciated. Keep up the good work.

5. "Nice people and good benefits"

Pros

Recently hired at SCS and so far I feel supported by my team. Though there is a lot of department specific information to learn, I don't feel pressured to absorb everything at once. The office cares about comfort, you can request more ergonomic aids. There's a subsidized monthly massage, nice outdoor area to eat lunch, and your schedule is flexible---you can come in earlier and leave earlier or vice versa. I feel comfortable discussing things with my superiors.

Cons

I think that cons depend on which department and program you work under. Some teams are more open and friendly than others. I don't really interact with many people outside of my program. The cubicle set up can be a bit depressing, there are some changes you can make to improve it, but the walls are still quite high.

Oct 7, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for your review! As the new Human Resource Director, I am working on improvements at SCS and your feedback helps me address the issues our employees have straightaway. We are currently ... More

6. "Good mission, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at SCS Global Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff here are all very like minded and committed to the environmental and social mission of the company. Projects are interesting and there is autonomy given to staff.

Cons

There is a leadership void at the top. Senior leadership lacks a sense of vision or strategy. It's unclear how decision making is made. The organization misses out on growth opportunities and high profile clients due to this ineptitude.

Advice to Management

It's hard to provide much advice to management as all decisions within the environmental division are made by Stan Rhodes. The forestry side of the business is much, much better run.

Oct 7, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for your review! As the new Human Resource Director, I am working on improvements at SCS and your feedback helps me address the issues our current and former employees have. If you are ... More

7. "Dead End Job"

I worked at SCS Global Services full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Coworkers are frequently nice

Cons

Leadership does not care about employee development or advancement
    The relationships between the various leaders are dysfunctional and toxic. There is very little trust. This results in conflicting guidance provided to employees who are inevitably "caught in the middle."
    Salaries are low and benefits are poor; the explanation given to employees is that SCS is a "mission driven company" and "like a nonprofit" and so employees should be satisfied. SCS is not a non-profit, and is very much bottom-line driven, SCS' competitors are much more competent than SCS, so it must pay salaries like a nonprofit to even stay afloat.
    Casual sexism abounds.
    Steer clear of this place.

Advice to Management

Retire.

Oct 7, 2016 – Human Resources Director

"Great place to work for the environmentally mission driven"

I have been working at SCS Global Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working at SCS you will feel good about what you do. Everything we work on makes a real difference to the environment and to workers needing protection across the globe.

Cons

Tendency toward top down management means sometimes decisions affecting many are made for the wrong reasons without considering all the relevant factors.

Advice to Management

You have extremely competent people in leadership positions. Listen to what they have to say and make business decisions deliberately and with good counsel.

Oct 7, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for your review! As the new Human Resource Director, I am working on improvements at SCS and your feedback helps me address the issues our current employees have. If you are open to more ... More

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at SCS Global Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting, fast paced, conveniently located in Bay Area

Cons

Drama beyond belief. Management tone deaf to worker's basic needs. Little to no chance for advancing. Favoritism in most of the company. Abusive supervisors are tolerated by mgt.

Advice to Management

Get professional and a real HR staff or quit as a company.

"Potential. People. Purpose."

Pros

The title says it all on the pro side: the industry has tremendous opportunity for growth; the people are smart and driven, the purpose of the company is mission-aligned for almost everyone at the company.

Cons

Decision-making at the top tier is squishy. Mentorship of high-potential employees is limited, though self-directed growth is acknowledged, appreciated, and often rewarded.

Advice to Management

Executive coaching for the top individuals and the executive team could yield substantial benefits to the entire company: culture, productivity, growth.

Oct 7, 2016 – Human Resources Director

"Great people to work with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at SCS Global Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone at SCS believes in its mission. This creates a very positive work environment because everyone cares about doing a good job.

Cons

Because of the diverse set of services offered, the company acts like 20 small companies in some ways.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on business management and principles. That's where we have the greatest opportunity to support our growth.