SDE Seadragon Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 15, 2018

4.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I enjoy coming to work everyday"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Really great coworkers.

Relaxed office environment where we can focus on goals without being stymied by superficial tasks/guidelines.

A lot of creative latitude to express personality through work. Senior management is open to new ideas, new strategies. Everyone's opinion gets heard.

The company wants to grow and there are opportunities for the future as a result. Everyone here wants to improve -- no one is satisfied with status quo.

Cons

The company is ambitious and growing quite fast -- maybe too fast for some of the support structures for teachers to keep up. There definitely should be greater investment of resources in this area.

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I have a feeling a lot of the complaints result from difficulty adapting to the Chinese management style.

Advice to Management

Work on strengthening communication between different branches of the company.

Better organization around meetings and implementation of new practices/workflows.

Support teachers better.

"One of the better education companies to work for. Would definitely recommend as a starter!"

I have been working at SDE Seadragon Education full-time

Pros

Pay is on time. Visa work and handling handled in a professional and non-sketchy manner. Good support system.

Cons

No set standard for salary and contracts. Chinese employees are overworked and underpaid, which in turn affects the efficiency of working with the foreign teachers.

Advice to Management

Listen and consider the suggestions made by those who work on the ground floor. More direct communication helps everyone :)

3. "Combination of work and play"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at SDE Seadragon Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many activities on the weekends and SDE has event days like sailing in Dapeng district and visiting the Flower Town in Nanshan district. They're lots of fun and these company organized events help us to get to know the city and Chinese culture better.

Cons

Unable to resolve issues with classes and my school in a timely manner. Primary school kids are also quite difficult to control with one teacher in the classroom and the schools don't give much support.

Advice to Management

Handle teacher problems faster and more effectively

"Considerate company makes me feel at home"

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)
    Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at SDE Seadragon Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I moved to Shenzhen about a year ago and experienced a lot of ups and downs. I struggled to find a decent job mainly because of the language barrier. Once I started working for Seadragon, they made the transition so much easier. They pick you up from the airport, help you find an apartment, and help you interview with your school. I'm usually pretty picky so it was nice having someone to help me with everything I needed. My recruiter, visa person, and specialist all did a great job and did their best to make me feel at home. They also have a huge community of expats which gives teachers an opportunity to find other people with common interests.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like they treat their teachers like children. Yes they do a lot of stuff for you, but we're also adults who are independent and have the right to know what's going on.

5. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at SDE Seadragon Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice assistants that are usually competent.

Cons

Lack communication about important details of employment.

Advice to Management

Be more open about details.

"Working with SDE has been wonderful so far!"

I have been working at SDE Seadragon Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supported by my recruiter and specialist, I was able to start my life in China much easier. There was always some staff from SDE helping me when I was in trouble. But now, I can gradually live independently because I've been taking SDE's free teaching courses and mandarin courses for 6 months which is greatly helpful.

Cons

There are too many teachers for them to manage, so sometimes my requests will be ignored. And I also want to make friends with some other teachers in other areas.

Advice to Management

Maybe SDE can hire more specialists to satisfy growing requests. And also please hold more comprehensive activities to gather all of us from different districts.

7. "Good experience in China"

Current Employee - Teacher in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at SDE Seadragon Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got a lot of support, like the visa assistance, appartment assistance, etc... This is really helpful.

Provide free TEFL course and Chinese lessons.

School teachers are pretty nice. Enjoy working with them.

Low teaching hours in Public schools.

Easy to make new friends.

Cons

Each specialist has to keep track of too many teachers, so sometimes they won’t respond to your messages or solve your problems in time.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced specialists

"Good jumping off point."

I have been working at SDE Seadragon Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ambitious company growth leading to more opportunities to expand ones job role within the company.
    Large area coverage in the city of Shenzhen with multiple placement positions in schools located down town as well as the many suburban /residential districts.
    Offers a variety of teaching positions from kindergarten to high school as well as training centres.
    Dedicated visa team to help with the long winded visa process.
    Fortnightly teacher led training sessions and workshops which can be very helpful for new and old teachers.
    Class room observations and feedback performed by experienced SDE teachers.
    Fortnightly Chinese classes. (you're in china so might as well learn some Chinese)

Cons

Ambitious company growth goals put strain on the support staff and weaken the overall structure of the company.
    At the end of the day SDE is a company, their take home profit is higher managements bottom line unlike other countries that have a government run foreign teacher scheme.
    They do not offer standardized contracts so if you have prior teaching experience do more research on salaries, know your worth and prepare to haggle.

Advice to Management

Management would do well to solidify its internal structures before undergoing ambitious expansion projects.
    As a recruitment company your main assets are the relationships you help facilitate between the schools you represent and the recruited teachers you higher. I would suggest allocating more resources to the "specialists" team. Having more than one member of staff to cover one or multiple areas would be a good start.

"Great company for an introduction to China"

I have been working at SDE Seadragon Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for SeaDragon will give you a great introduction into working and living in China. Some good points include;

- Helpful staff who walk you through the process of getting a visa.
    - Comfortable housing provided.
    - I work at a fantastic school with helpful and friendly co-workers.
    - Weekly training and Chinese classes are provided.
    - There is opportunity to expand your role within the company.

Cons

- Specialists are overworked, patience is needed when contacting them. But they are mostly very helpful and go above and beyond what is expected of them.
    - Sometimes communication can be difficult between you, the school and the company. This can be a big complaint among other teachers, but you need to be aware of how the Chinese culture differs from the Western style and adapt your way of thinking.

Advice to Management

More specialists are needed for each district, to ensure they don't get burnt out from being overworked.
    Improve communication between teachers, the school and you. Keep them up to date and informed of changes.

10. "A Different But Good Working Experience."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shenzhen, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at SDE Seadragon Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

#1. A very close team
    After I arrived, they had teaching to help me to set up the demo and making the lessons plans at the very beginning.
    They have different monthly social events to meet different people and cultures. Weekly chinese lessons were also provided.

#2. Comforting office environment. Good communication with co-workers.

#3 Every one is ambitious for improvement and it is also a good place where you can achieve it.

#4. A way to learn how to work with Chinese people and experience Chinese culture.

Cons

#1. Would like to get a chance to know other teachers in some other areas where there is a lot of other teachers, even if it is far.

#2. More specialists will be needed to manage the teachers, otherwise they will be too busy and just ignore the teachers messages or forget to reply.