SDI Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Richard Andrews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good place to start if you're interested in the localization/subtitling/dubbing industry (in 5 reviews)

• Casual environment, birthday parties, flexible hours (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • High rate of resignation due to low pay and limited support (in 15 reviews)

• extremely low salary for freelancers (in 4 reviews)

1. "Production Coordinator"

Pros

Fast paced environment. For ambitious individuals, the sky is the limit.

Cons

Fast paced environment. Not the best place for millennials.

2. "The pay is ridiculous!"

Former Employee - Subtitle Editor in Culver City, CA

I worked at SDI Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some lovely people work here. Some interesting content to watch as you do your work.

Cons

The pay is just a joke for the type of work, education required and considering the city we live in.
    No training to speak of, you are totally at the hands of your coworkers who may or may not be knowledgeable enough to train.

Advice to Management

This is specialized work, you need to be well educated to do it, pay us more! The competition pays about 50% more, why can't you? Greedy!

3. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burbank, CA

I worked at SDI Media Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Successful and growing global company with multiple high-profile clients.

Cons

Depending on position, difficult to advance upwardly.

"Not for long-term stay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SDI Media Group full-time

Pros

If you are translating/QCing, you can mostly come in whenever you want and leave whenever you want, as long as you get your work done. I've seen people come in at 6am and leave by 2:30pm sharp.

Cons

Really low pay, like everyone said.

The hourly rate they pay me is LOWER than what my first INTERNSHIP right after college paid me -- 5 years ago! As in, you cannot survive on wages from this company, if you live in LA and eat and sleep under a roof and buy clothes and such.

The only reason for anyone to work here would be to get really basic experience in translating/subtitling and leave ASAP. If you are changing careers, if you're getting back into the workforce, if you've been translating, but aren't sure if subtitling is the thing for you, etc.

If you are a decent translator, and your language has enough traction going, you can leave after 1 year and go find contracting jobs with which you can actually pay the bills. Benefits aren't that great either, so there is no point in staying here to get benefits for the family or something.

Actually, if you could get a newbie translator job somewhere else, that's even better. But it's just so easy to get into SDI, because so many people are leaving all the time -- so if you aren't going to stay for a long time anyway, why not just take the job and leave ASAP? (I keep saying this, ASAP, ASAP.)

If you're going to work here, I seriously recommend to go in with the mindset of "I will not stress about anything that happens here." Because if you are smart, again, you will get whatever experience you need and get out ASAP. I think they're even kinda proud of people leaving them so fast. SDI is pretty big, and they'll just go on thanks to inertia for a while. They're not your problem.

It's ridiculous for translators to work for just one company anyway. Go get contractor gigs after this. Don't stress about them. Who cares.

Advice to Management

Nothing, they seem to be pretty proud of people getting in and leaving quickly. Not my problem, or anyone else's problem.

"Language Production Coordinator"

Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SDI Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great stepping stone for other companies. The high level of stress prepares you for everything too.

Cons

Payment is ridiculous. The level of stress is huge while my supervisor was not appreciative of my hard work at all. I don't know one person who works at SDI who wants to stay in SDI.

Advice to Management

Start valuing your employees, change the philosophy, so people can actually be proud to be there and work there.

"Pay here is a joke"

Current Employee - Subtitle Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Subtitle Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SDI Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok benefits
    Flexible hours
    Casual Atmosphere

Cons

LOW PAY
    Bad management
    No room for advancement
    Uninspiring environment
    They make you pay for parking every paycheck
    LOW PAY
    and LOW PAY

Advice to Management

Living in LA isn't cheap. The pay needs to reflect the cost of living also the fact that we are required to TRANSLATE. Translators in general always get paid very well. We expect to get paid a much higher rate if you guys want us to translate. Even without that, we should be getting paid way more than we currently are. Although the benefits you provide aren't bad, it doesn't overcompensate for the terrible pay rate.

"DO NOT WORK HERE !"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SDI Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros to begin with unfortunately. All that shines is not gold !

Cons

Extremely rude managers. Accusatory! Inexperienced management sitting there or over 16yrs. Treats employees like robots and expects too much for too little. ( RESPECT AND MONEY)

Advice to Management

Get up from that seat if you don't know what you are talking about.! Learn to treat others the way you come to the office to be treated. You are fit for only such a place no other place would tolerate such inhumane and ruthless behavior! Try to run the business in a way people would want to work for you opposed to run away the 2nd day! Good Luck !

"Fun, fast paced company"

Pros

Lots of continus work. Great staff from around the world and awesome media. Flexible hours and great benefits.

Cons

It can be hard to find time to take a break.

"Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Dubbing in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Dubbing in Culver City, CA

I worked at SDI Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No Pros to speak of at all!

Cons

Disorganized / Deplorable HR Department / Very Low Pay / Overworked & Underpaid / No native employees-All out of state people with no experience in the entertainment industry / toxic work environment

Advice to Management

All upper management and HR should be replaced. This place is a law suit waiting to happen.

"One of the worst places I've worked at"

Former Employee - Subtitle Editor in Culver City, CA

I worked at SDI Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really flexible hours. Interesting work if you like movies and/or tv shows.

Cons

The pay is insufficient. The management gets a good pay and all kinds of bonuses and perks but the lowly language specialists get bread crumbs. They are basically paying slave wages to highly skilled people (many have university degrees) who often stick around only because they love the work.

There is too much middle management. In addition very few of them have actual subtitling experience but yet they often override decisions made by language specialists.

There is no transparency. Meaning getting an answer to a simple question can take a day, if not several, depending on how many people there are in between. Management gets mad at you if you go and talk to the "wrong" person.

Only the language specialists care about quality, yet they are overworked, underpaid and blamed for all the mistakes. Management just wants everything done fast and cheap and basically forces the subtitlers do crazy hours, draining them before they decide to quit.

The atmosphere is poisoned, and at times if feels like high school. The management tends to be passive-aggressive and is only friendly to you when they need something done. They also seem to force anyone out who has been there too long and replace them with someone cheaper.

Advice to Management

Pay your translators and editors more. Listen to them. Without them you have nothing to sell.

There is too much middle management. Get rid of some.

Improve transparency. A lot of the issues could be solved in no time.

Instead of blaming the clients for providing insufficient information, advice and ask the right questions. You're providing the service.