SDII Global Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Catherine Carty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Under new management since April 2016. GREAT PLACE TO WORK!"

I have been working at SDII Global full-time

Pros

Sdii Global is an awesome place to work. The culture and environment is very relaxed and welcoming. It is like a big family. The President, Catherine Carty, and CFO, Chris Casagrande, truly do care for each employee and they are always approachable. It is a flat organization, so there is no managerial or business executive hierarchy which greatly helps in making this such a comfortable place to work. Another great perk about working here is the benefits. They offer free health insurance for employees (among a variety of other health insurance benefits) and they even give you your birthday off and paid! You also get sick and vacation time paid time off. Additionally, Sdii offers a great work/life balance. The company does not micro-manage anyone and offers flexibility because they know that life happens. I would definitely recommend working at Sdii. It is truly the best company I've ever worked for. I feel appreciated and enjoy coming to work!

Cons

There are no cons that come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! The organization has most definitely changed for the better since the President and CFO bought the company.

Jun 14, 2017 – Corporate Relations Coordinator

We are glad that you love working at Sdii! We truly strive to create a great work environment and culture for our most valued asset, our employees!

2. "AutoCAD drafter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

Great culture and nice location.

Cons

No job security and no regular raises.

Jun 14, 2017 – Corporate Relations Coordinator

We are glad that you enjoy the culture and location of Sdii! We truly strive to create a great work environment and culture for our most valued asset, our employees! We understand your concerns... More

3. "Employee Minded Company Constantly Looking to Improve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SDII Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SDII definitely encourages employee growth and development, which is demonstrated through the managers that started in entry level positions with the company. Upper management works hard to make sure employees are informed of what is going on with organization. Coworkers are friendly, great benefits, good amount of PTO, onsite gym, monthly company sponsored events and everyone has their own office.

Cons

There was some position changes within the company, so there was a transition period that went along with that. But the changes have seemed to better the company, so I can't really say that has been a con... Just a period of time to transition into the change. Other than that, I really don't have anything negative to say about SDII.

Advice to Management

Keep up with your efforts to constantly improve communication. Having well informed employees only betters the company.

Jun 14, 2017 – Corporate Relations Coordinator

We are glad that you enjoy working at Sdii! We truly strive to create a great work environment and culture for our most valued asset, our employees! We offer growth and development opportunities... More

"Great company and great opportunity for professional development!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SDII Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at SDII for 10+ years, I can...from factual personal experience...say without question, that you can work your way from the field to an executive/management position in this company. Hard work and dedication to the corporate philosophy is critical to recognition and advancement. Quarterly meetings, shout out boards, department lunches, emails, and even networking social get-togethers are all utilized as ways to communicate to and with staff. The company even has a Positive Enhancement Committee with representatives from management and every department in the company to look for ways to enhance our daily work environment and culture. Outstanding employee benefits package.

Cons

There will undeniably be an expectation to work hard, and meet goals that are clearly set before each individual employee. If you are looking for a job to simply collect a paycheck, than this is not the place for you. Passion for your work, and drive to excel in your job duties are prerequisites...That is great for some, and not so great for others.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication lines flowing. Keep expanding our service areas and offerings to continue to grow this great company, a company that has become such an integral part to so many of our lives.

Jun 14, 2017 – Corporate Relations Coordinator

We are glad that you enjoy working at Sdii! We truly strive to create a great work environment and culture for our most valued asset, our employees! We offer growth, advancement, and recognition... More

5. "SDII continuing to evolve!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SDII Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office surroundings, fitness center and gym, company's current and future plans...

Cons

Resources, diversification of company offerings.

Advice to Management

Keep listening! Keep looking for opportunities for the company to grow that will allow employees to grow with the company!

Jun 14, 2017 – Corporate Relations Coordinator

We are glad that you enjoy working at Sdii! We truly strive to create a great work environment and culture for our most valued asset, our employees! Communication is definitely something that Sdii... More

"The field geologist position is not one I would recommend."

Current Employee - Field Geologist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Field Geologist in Tampa, FL

Pros

Field geologists, project managers and drillers are great people to work with. SDII also has great benefits offered to its employees.

Cons

The salary offered here is not proportionate to the amount of hours put in on a weekly basis. The normal work day is usually 10 hours or more. There is now a requirement that field workers have to work two Saturdays a month with no monetary compensation for this extra work. I have no problem going out of town but was constantly told I had to go out of town for multiple days the night before we had to leave with no forewarning. There never seems to be enough supplies in the warehouse. The per diem for out of town expenses is really low and maybe will cover a cheap dinner.

Advice to Management

I have no problem working long days but would have appreciated getting some overtime or compensation. Keep the warehouse well stocked. Preplan out of town work so employees have forewarning to manage their lives.

Jun 14, 2017 – Corporate Relations Coordinator

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience while working at Sdii. Luckily, under new ownership things like this have changed drastically for the better. We pay for all time that... More

"Excellent compnay to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

Excellent benefits, flexible hours, significant opportunity to employees with a strong work ethic and desire to succeed, growing organization with ample opportunity. Wonderful co-workers who are fun to work with!

Cons

Extremely fast paced, high productivity environment. This environment is great for some, but difficult for others.

Advice to Management

Improve communication to staff in regard to company performance, i.e., set goals & communicate results. This would be motivating & would challenge the competitive staff to out perform past results. Provide a formal mentorship program to less experienced professionals, specifically in the Engineering and Geology arena.

Jun 14, 2017 – Corporate Relations Coordinator

8. "A great opportunity for professional advancement"

Current Employee - Engineer in Tampa, FL

Pros

There are many opportunities for professional advancement for engineers at SDII. By making a commitment to the engineering team and to company philosophies, professionals are provided with growing responsibility, leadership opportunities, and financial incentive. The benefits package includes a comprehensive wellness program, compensation for continuing education and professional licensure, and 401K matching. Exceptional effort is recognized and rewarded.

Cons

SDII requires that its professionals be highly productive as well as leaders in their field. This may induce considerable pressure on some under prepared professionals.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the existing staff by hiring competent and highly motivated professionals with similar work ethic and commitment to company philosophies.

Jun 14, 2017 – Corporate Relations Coordinator

"Thinking about working for SdII Global? Take your talents elsewhere."

Former Employee - Field Geologist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Field Geologist in Tampa, FL

Pros

I really can't think of any reasons someone would want to work at Sdii. The project managers and field staff are all very nice people considering the poor pay, long hours, and difficult positions management often puts them in. You can't get fat because you will sweat way to much to put on much weight.

Cons

The hours and compensation are not adequate. The company regularaly tells you one thing and then does another. I have seen them fire unjustly and hire blindly. There is no career path available that an educated person would want to pursue. They give you absolutely no responsibility, but then consider you a "professional" therefore writing you off as a salried position in order to avoid compensating you for the crazy hours. You will not receive an honest paycheck. They expect you to go out of town for a week withouot notice and then give you a tiny per diem check which is really about half of what you necessarily will spend out of town. Most of the drilling staff is unhappy and certainly all of the geologists are disgruntled. Their main concern is whether you got the job done or not. You can go through an amazing amount of hell in order to finish a job and it will go unnoticed. Supplies are not available and the phrase "run it until it breaks" is heard regularly adding to an already unsafe working condition. You find yourself happy when you work a 10 hr day because there is a good chance you might work 17 hrs on a saturday and then come in on a monday and work 14, and then 12 on tuesday (these type conditions were par for the course). I could go on and on and on with the Cons but to sum it all up: DO NOT BRING YOUR TALENTS TO THIS COMPANY!

Advice to Management

It is very simple. Pay some sort of OT time and stop telling us one thing and then doing another. Keep all of the money that we made for you at home. In other words: noone wants to see your boats, fine cars, RVs, Sea-do's, and the other millions you have made with our sweat. Make sure the basic supplies that are regularly needed are always available. Try preventative maintanance with the drilling rigs rather than running them until they break. Give the field geologists some responsibility. We did go to school and we can do more than break spoons and collect sand.

Jun 14, 2017 – Corporate Relations Coordinator

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience while working at Sdii. Luckily, under new ownership things like this have changed drastically for the better. Thank you for your... More

"I agree with the Field Geologist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

SDII Global does often have positions open due to its high employee turnover rate so it is a good place for people new to the industry to get started.

Cons

The field team is treated terribly.

There is never any supplies in the warehouse so quite often drill crews must drive around for hours running errands and picking up things for the field management. Seeing as how the drill crews are paid by their footage then money is being lost while doing these run around trips. The lack of supplies also causes many many problems in the field. Rigs and trailers are always breaking, losing the crews more money.

Geologists are salaried so that the company can make them work 60-70 hour weeks with no extra compensation. Making the geologists work Saturdays with no extra compensation also seems unfair.

The per diem when sent out of town is $25 a day. A pitiful amount to feed yourself on every day.

There is also exclusive parties and trips for office employees but no such events for field staff. They are only occasionally invited to whole company events.

Advice to Management

Pay Geologists hourly rates so they can collect on the 20+ hours of overtime they put in every week.

Keep a good inventory of supplies in the warehouse to drill staff don't have to run errands when they should be drilling.

Increase the per diem.

Either create field staff exclusive events or invite them to all company events. It makes them feel very under appreciated when they are excluded from events celebrating company success when they are the grinders that the company runs on.

Stop buying old refurbished rigs. They break all the time or are exceptionally slow.

Stop playing favorites with certain drillers.