SDL Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
SDL CEO Adolfo Hernandez
Adolfo Hernandez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is good at SDL with great management" (in 42 reviews)

• "great working environment with a lot of benift" (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a problem for the consistent "doers" within the organization" (in 19 reviews)

• "Very long hours for not enough money - definitely not paid as well as in the industry" (in 18 reviews)

1. "Excellent company reputation, excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent management, flexible work life balance, great time off and benefits, travel opportunities

Cons

base salary could be higher, commission plan could be higher

Nov 12, 2018 – Executive Team

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We continuously benchmark our salaries and commission plans against the market and believe that our current offerings are competitive in the LSP... More

"Great company on a cost cutting mission to irrelevancy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at SDL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting products, global company offering chance to work with people around the world

Cons

SDL has jerked back and forth from being on course with solid management, to off course, to on course and back off course. Unfortunately it's off course and doing drastic uninformed cost cutting to appease investors upset about falling market valuation.

Advice to Management

Quit and allow more experienced leadership to take your place. That's rough but I saw a strong company ruined because the inexperience CEO misspeak on earnings expectation that weren't met and the market price fell, requiring uncalled for cost cutting.

3. "Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Wakefield, MA

I worked at SDL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some good people, some horrible people.

Cons

It is a toxic environment. Lots of managers with too much ego.

Advice to Management

Get some GOOD management. People who know what they are doing!

"Management is very poor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO

I worked at SDL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Majority of the team members are enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Management has no clue on what is going on within their departments and does not provide a vision or guidance.

"Typical corporate environment"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Superior, CO
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Superior, CO

I worked at SDL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of resources, financial / industry prowess

Cons

Siloed, bureaucratic, inflexible, unorganized, unstructured

"Poor People Strategy"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Superior, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Superior, CO

I have been working at SDL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Two stars for trying to be a leading technology company.

Cons

People strategy at SDL is not great.

New employees are being treated like a hot potato when someone has to train them on the tools and processes. New recruits are sent to production teams who don't have allocated time or resources to do the training. Production teams send them back to their Managers, who are too overworked to pay attention. You will end up being trained by one of the remote teams (most likely in India), who will try to explain to you how things work on a Skype call.

If you like a constant struggle from day 1, this is a place for you.

Advice to Management

Embrace clear roles and make people a priority. After all, your employees are the ones developing new product and talking to your accounts every day. Someone working in production SHOULD NOT be asked to train a new hire, period. This is unfair and frustrating for all parties involved.

Nov 6, 2018 – Executive Team

Thank you for taking the time to share you views. We value your feedback.

We are continually reviewing our induction and on-boarding programs and from recent feedback from our new-starters we... More

7. "Field Marketing"

Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love working at SDL and my job. When I started at SDL, I was in a completely different position. If you work hard and believe in the company, SDL will work with you to find your place. It is a fast paced environment, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. I am continually learning and working with people all around the world.

Cons

If you don't like change, SDL probably isn't a great fit.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Oct 22, 2018 – Executive Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate your feedback and definitely agree that SDL supports development and change in role and we promote internal moves to get the right... More

"Good products in spite of poor vision and management"

Former Employee - Customer Service in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service in New York, NY

I worked at SDL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work from home.
    Decent IT infrastructure and responsive IT department.

Cons

Frequent reorganizations. Reporting structure is confusing.
    Difficulties trying to find homes for product acquisitions, leading to confusing product name changes, realignments and management.
    Strategy and vision extend as far as quarterly results.
    Management is too busy herding right and left to engage in long-term planning, genuine employee engagement. C-suite seems to spend an inordinate amount of time traveling, and their site visits to local offices always have a car waiting and suitcase by the door. Meaningless office-wide "town hall", empty promises and must run to catch flight, sorry.
    Be aware that a large percentage of the geographic spread and body count is due to in-country translators (good for translation services, but misleading to gauge size).
    Shiny-object management initiatives are mostly lip-service and lack follow-through; real change rarely happens.

Advice to Management

Stop renaming products.
    Flexibility, yes, but execute on something for longer than an Uber ride.

Nov 6, 2018 – Executive Team

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate both positive and negative feedback.

As with any company going through a transformation there will inevitably be some fall out... More

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at SDL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a really large, disjointed corporate structure to hide in and collect a paycheck while adding no real value, this is the place for you.

Free coffee. This is important. The caffeine has to take the place of your soul after it slowly drains out.

There is some good people who work here. My initial experience here was very positive solely due to my first director and manager who I have a lot of respect for.

Cons

Mostly just echoing everything else said in negative reviews.

If you are passionate and you personally invest yourself in your work and value feeling appreciated for that work, this is not the place for you for at all. I've done a lot of work for military contractors and yet, I've never left a job feeling as disregarded, unimportant and unappreciated as I did when I finally left SDL.

First company I've ever vowed not to work for again. I can't imagine a situation where I would feel desperate enough to return after the personal experience I had.

If you work there currently, my advice to you is to quit for a competitor. Leaving SDL was one of the best things for me from a career perspective. Tech companies who understood the value of what I did and accomplished during my time at SDL all offered me 25-30% more than my SDL salary. Leaving resulted in the largest single pay jump I've ever had.

They only care about the money. They don't pay well. They don't value individual talent. They just simply don't have mechanisms for the accomplishments of lower level employees to reach the higher level corporate level, because they just don't care. Your work will largely be there to advance the career of directors and executives.

Advice to Management

Your monolithically slow and behind on technology. I don't see how you ever grow to become a really competitive, tech driven company when you have a culture that doesn't place any value on recruiting and keeping individual technical talent.

Jul 12, 2018 – CSR & Employee Engagement Consultant

Thank you for your feedback. We value both our existing and previous employees’ views. A few years ago we recognized that our people strategy (along with our business strategy) needed to change. We... More

"Frequent Re-orgs, don't expect job security"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at SDL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great internal tools on company intranet; minimal paperwork, everything online; above average products

Cons

Developers frequently slip schedule; stated company direction changes radically on annual basis; SDL used to be overly extravagant on fly-in company meetings

Advice to Management

user surveys to determine "other skills" and industrial experience that employees have to offer; don't stray too far from your core products