SDL Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SDL CEO Adolfo Hernandez
Adolfo Hernandez

Pros
  • Good work/life balance and good compensation (in 32 reviews)

• The work environment is pleasant and all colleagues are willing to help if needed (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"One of the best companies I've worked at"

Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Support Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at SDL for just over 3 years. I have to say that this is one of the best places I've worked. My colleagues and job responsibilities keep me going. Since our customers are very well known brands, the expectations are high, but with the support you get from the team it is easier to meet those expectations. I am proud to be part of the content management team that so many customers rely on daily.

I am in love with the culture we have here at SDL, its a very team oriened environment as colleagues and management have your back and work together to provide the best customer experience. We may not be a trendy startup, but we have roots and a long history that has stability.

At SDL If you are diligent with your work like any place, growth and success will follow you. Its easy to talk to management and get your ideas and opinions out to make it better for you, your team, your product and the company.

Cons

It would be nice to be able to expand your knowledge with other products at SDL to help in career advancement.

Advice to Management

More recognition to make the employees feel appreciated.

2. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Superior, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Superior, CO

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management support, challenging work, resources for training

Cons

Antiquated technology, not PMI structured

3. "Poor Management, No Opportunity to Learn, Lousy Pay"

Former Employee - Project Management in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Project Management in Boulder, CO

I worked at SDL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a team of awesome coworkers, often flexible WFH options, and the location is nice next to the mall.

Cons

Management is rarely ever available! They are always "too busy" to support or listen to your concerns. Very little training is provided to management and it is apparent. Because of this, you also receive little training yet are always to blame when things go wrong. There is very little opportunity to learn new skills when you're simply never given the resources to do so. The overall pay is simply not worth the work.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen! We have great ideas for how to change things for the better, but rarely get the chance to try them out. Also, be on our team! We want to do well for you when you support us along the way. I would highly recommend a proactive management model rather than reactive - your employees may even stop leaving.

5. "Lots or opportunity to define your role"

Current Employee - Program Manager New Products in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager New Products in Seattle, WA

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative environment. Senior executives are easily accessible, and quite responsive

Cons

Internal teams very disconnected, left hand not aware of what right hand is doing. Communication style is not streamlined, and surprisingly unorganized for such a large company

"Very Unstable Business with Poor Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at SDL full-time

Pros

There are some talented and dedicated people there. Compensation and benefits are adequate. Annual raises were given. Products/services are strong but in jeopardy.

Cons

SDL doesn't know what it wants to be. There are several silo'd business units. It's very clear which ones drive revenue, but executive aspirations to grow aren't aligned with that. At least 2 business units got dissolved in the past 2 years due to poor leadership, sales and marketing. The company is too big and too spread out globally to handle itself.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel. Get up to speed with how digital marketing can make you remain competitive and attractive to current buying trends. You're relying on old school marketing/sales models. Stop major org changes, which have decimated the talent and made marketing/sales a complete mess.

7. "Translation and Content Management Innovator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SDL has gone through some significant changes in the last 5-6 years but all have been for the better of the company. Having been one of the three largest localization and content management companies for the past decade SDL has demonstrated an incredible viability of its business model and its offerings. Day to day work is interesting and never boring (at least in my case). Excellent colleagues around the world and in office. I'm excited to see where SDL ends up in 3-5 years once its current transformation takes final shape. Good work/life balance and good compensation.

Cons

Some of the past changes resulted in high turnover but things have been improving dramatically over the past two or so years.

Advice to Management

Continue with the changes you are undertaking right now.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at SDL (Less than a year)

Pros

SDL provides a great working environment. The staff is very professional and friendly at the same time. I find that the majority of the people were extremely helpful, and were driven to do their best. SDL also provides excellent benefits, including health and other insurance packages, saving plans and more, at a reasonable monthly cost. Management is smart and professional, and a great company culture is created welcoming all that want to contribute to the success of the company. It is refreshing to see how decisions are taken about expenses, such as company parties, dinners, etc. being mindful of the costs. SDL does not have a showoff culture, unlike some other workplaces.

Cons

More information sharing and inclusion is needed between teams and locations. SDL is working towards that goal, so that is great.

Advice to Management

Advertisement of new positions and recruiting internally (including management positions) across global offices.

9. "Hr Specialist"

I worked at SDL part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

overall, I like working in the organization

Cons

It is a very good place to develop carrier and learn new things

Advice to Management

They should treat an applicant hiring process at a very quick time

10. "Good and improving, but could still be better"

Current Employee - Associate Program Manager in Superior, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Program Manager in Superior, CO

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Multi-cultural office settings, high level of diversity, the people, fast pace industry

Cons

Management disconnect from employees. Feeling no matter how hard or well you work - it does not seem to be enough.

Advice to Management

Keep comments HR appropriate

"Messy"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at SDL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people work there

Cons

This company is just messy. Processes are cumbersome, nothing is automated, everything depends on human accuracy -- or lack thereof! Project Managers are overworked and get burnt out quickly. The revolving door never stops!

Advice to Management

A happy employee is a productive employee!