SDL Project Manager - Localization Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 88 reviews

2.9
SDL CEO Adolfo Hernandez
Adolfo Hernandez

"You'd be on the way out soon too."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

-International experience -Work with people around the world -Decent healthcare and benefits

Cons

-Very high turnover -Company constantly cuts costs including firing CEO, CMO, President, CTO and dissolving entire divisions without much thought, then the employee left must take on roles that were let go on top of their original role and others they've absorbed -Very low company morale and trust of executives -High risk for job loss due to solutions being divested so frequently and monthly changes -Cold HR department....

Advice to Management

-Improve company morale -Don't make jokes when people lose their jobs -Appreciate employees -BE TRANSPARENT!

SDL2016-04-01

"Pre-Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA

I worked at SDL

Pros

Good solid products with well know referenceable accounts. Co-workers are helpful and jump in when needed at a moment's notice.

Cons

Change executive management every 1.5 - 2 years and then fail to let them execute on their vision. I was there 5 years and the executives were constantly being replaced. Now a board member runs the company while they look for a new CEO. Upper management tends to drink the cool aid and not hear what is going in the field.

Advice to Management

Decide what you want the company to be when you grow up. Spin off your non-core businesses and actually put a plan in place and see it through to fruition.

SDL2016-03-10

April 24, 2017Global Head of HR and Employee Experience

Hi, thanks for the review. I understand that change can be unsettling, but we truly believe that the changes we have made have been for the better in order to help us grow and seize new market opportunities. We now have a settled executive team who all have a clear strategy and objectives ...

"PJM Nightmare"

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Superior, CO

I worked at SDL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers are good people and have a good time and get into the holiday spirit. They do Friday beer socials which is nice if you are ever able to complete your work in order to partake (rarely). They do offer you good benefits including a nice health club membership subsidy.They bring in breakfast burritos on the first Monday of every month and then they bring other food/meals on occasion.

Cons

- Your opinion does not matter. Provide your opinion on how to tackle a project, receive different instructions from manager, client is not happy with deliverable, manager yells at you and says you should have done what you had originally suggested. There is not right answer and you will always be at fault. - Extremely HIGH turnover if you are looking to make a career at a company this place is not for you. There is...

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging people let them run their projects and when they make mistakes work with them to learn from these and grow. Having a positive attitude rather than a negative attitude goes a long way. This is how a leader grows a good team and foundation not through intimidation and lack of trust. Obviously these were just my opinions of things that either happened to me or I noticed while working here. I know people...

SDL2016-02-24

"Good for freelancers"

Current Employee - Freelance Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SDL

Pros

- I have always been paid on time - Stable company - professional staff - freelancers telecommute and can live around the globe

Cons

- Company is squeezed by their customers and rates for freelancers would be better if they were higher - Not easy to get accepted as freelancer - If the customer account ends, it is likely that your project will end too

Advice to Management

- Try to keep good freelancers even if their main accounts stop doing business with SDL by moving them to other accounts

SDL2016-01-15

"Stay far away, troubled company with no soul"

Former Employee - Marketing in Wakefield, MA

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Global company with no cost controls, so easy to see the globe with almost no approval necessary.

Cons

Revolving door due to poor management, no vision, no strategy, confused product portfolio, no technology vision

Advice to Management

Well since you just changed it again, perhaps find a path and stay on it more than 9 months at a time. Don't hire people away from stable positions when you plan to lay them off a year or two later. This is a continued public pattern and has been for years. Maybe just break up company and sell off the pieces asap.

SDL2015-12-29

"Drowning"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam, OH

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amsterdam location near the arena, Language part of the company is healthy and good.

Cons

Marketing software side of the company is going down rapidly. Analyst reports are not what it was a couple of years back, knowledge is disappearing because people leaving the company. HR does not care at all. Re-structuring every year and no results. Good salary but won/t last more than 2 years maximum.

SDL2015-11-03

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at SDL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good educational experience. Exposure to lots of different activities.

Cons

I am shocked that the salaries shown here are the same as what they were over 5 years ago. I guess all the profits are going straight to the owner. Outside of that, there were some very difficult people that worked there, and management did nothing to get them in line. If I still worked there, I would have either filed some harassment claims by now, or broken some skulls.

Advice to Management

Hold your upper managers accountable.

SDL2015-09-08

"Nice while it lasted"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Rochester, NY

I worked at SDL for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Team, Meh Products, They did the best they could.

Cons

Being acquired on the cheap is never good. At least they tried.

Advice to Management

We did our best to stay afloat vs. just letting the company die. Kudos to that.

SDL2015-09-10

"Director Sales"

Former Employee - CXM sales executive in Tyngsboro, MA

I worked at SDL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great support system and resources. Some very smart people and great coworkers. Flexible work schedule and time off / vacation. .

Cons

Pay isn't comparable to market. Laughable another upper man agent turnover and new strategy. No one is steering this ship.

Advice to Management

Potential gone so far south. Sooner or later top level leadership needs to take responsibility. You can only try so many new regimes, reorgs and strategies.

SDL2015-09-19

February 23, 2016

Hi, thanks for your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not leave SDL with a positive experience. We have a very committed Executive Team that continues to make decisions that will drive the business forward. I wish you well in the future. Regards, Dominic.

10. "Software Engg"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at SDL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Truly global company with opportunities.

Cons

Some Business Units get more attention

Advice to Management

Do not make too many changes

SDL2015-06-19

June 25, 2015CTO

Just want to thank you for your submission!

Found 88 reviews