SECURUS Technologies "good people" Reviews | Glassdoor

SECURUS Technologies Employee Reviews about "good people"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not Very Stable"

I have been working at SECURUS Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits! Good People, Wonderful Work/ Life Balance

Cons

2 lay offs in 6 months, no clear direction, lack of communication from superiors

Advice to Management

Right needs to know what the left hand is doing, People are not just a spot on a spreadsheet

2. "A Decent place to work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at SECURUS Technologies as an intern

Pros

Very good people to work around with. Always there to help. Considerate about your academic life

Cons

The pay is less. Can be a little higher

3. "Modern Day Plantation"

Pros

Good people who are working there

Cons

Modern day plantation that you would be working for.

"Worked at Securus"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good salary and good people

Cons

Upper management does not trust the employees.

"The people are great here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SECURUS Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the nicest and brightest people are working here. Lots of genuinely good people work here. Nice quarterly bonus'. Hard work and loyalty is rewarded.

Cons

Work from home options are costly. Heath benefits are not affordable.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring personable and intelligent associates. Encourage management to connect with his/her teams.

"Bad Career Move - Stay away"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at SECURUS Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consistently paid bonuses, good overall corporate strategy with consistent growth that is likely to continue. There are some good people here who really care, but many are looking to get out. If you're lucky enough to not be in Dallas, you're isolated from some of the micromanagement.

Cons

Employees are not trusted. Everyone is replaceable. Telecommuting is not allowed (in the operations division, and from what I hear in others as well). You are expected to work at least 9 hours a day (CEO wants 10). Expect to be judged on metrics and SLAs that have nothing to do with actual job performance. You are expected to log time to the minute. You will use ancient software tools that are buggy, difficult to use, and not updated simply because management wants the metrics they generate.

If you're looking to be a real project manager, a PM job at Securus is not the job for you. You will be micro-managed by supervisors and managers with no project management experience. Any change to your projects (even simply pushing out a milestone date that doesn't affect the complete date) will require supervisor approval. If you're OK with simply ordering hardware, checking some boxes, and hosting a few meetings for your job, then maybe you'll enjoy this.

Compensation is very poor. The project manager salaries at Securus are ~30% below the nationwide average. The bonus helps, but not much. They get what they pay for... if Securus hired (and actually cared about keeping) competent project managers, they would need half the PM staff.

Advice to Management

Instead of writing positive reviews of yourself on here and e-mailing the whole company asking for others to do the same, maybe try to learn something from the negative reviews here. Better yet, have real exit interviews with employees that are leaving to understand why.

It's time for a house cleaning and re-organization. Stop treating install support employees like call center employees. Upper management is either willfully ignorant or completely blind to what's going on at the lowest levels, and what middle management hides from them.

If you want to be a tech company, act like it. Hire competent people and pay competitive salaries for them, don't treat them like they're dispensable. Allow them to work from home on occasion. Stop using ancient tools. Like another reviewer said, no need to provide the benefits of Google, but it needs to be better than it is now.

"Fair and balanced review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SECURUS Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

bonus paid out consistantly, there are good people working in different roles who care. Growing company so there should be opportunities.

Cons

The CEO asked for feedback, so here it is. His children are employed here and promoted quickly. There are strong suggestions about how to get ahead, being friendly with one of his sons. There is an old boys network. All employees need training on how to deal with minorities and bias. Quit focusing on bonus and just increase pay for cost of living- annual raises don't cover increasing cost of medical plan (which is terrible). Fire people who have been around forever and don't perform, it's hurting everyone when folks are employed who shouldn't be. Stop mandating a donation to charity and blacklisting people who don't participate, that is illegal and immoral.

Advice to Management

Clean house beginning with family. Start bias training immediatly and if the old boys network can't handle change than clean house. The company is being run like it's 1985 and it's a small family business.

"RUN FAST AND FAR if your company is being acquired by Securus"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SECURUS Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First let me start by saying the CEO sent a company wide email asking for everyone to leave an honest review on Glassdoor. I work for a company that was acquired by Securus several years ago. So here is mine.
    If you hate family, money, and your life in general then this is the right place for you. Before the acquisition this was a great place to work, great benefits, flexible schedule, could work from home as needed, decent pay, etc. . . then Securus came.
    Since this is the "Pros" section I do want to be honest and add what I feel are the pros of being here.
    First, the company does pay a bonus and has done so every quarter (though we are constantly reminded that it could go away at anytime).
    Second, there are some good people that work here.

Cons

Salaries are generally 15% below market average.
    They will charge you 2% of your salary (per day!) to work from home, and that's IF (a big IF) you can even get them to approve it as all telecommuting is frowned upon.
    Benefits are lacking and expensive, I have basically taken a pay cut every year due to the increasing cost of our health insurance, which refuses to pay for most things!
    I could go on, but honestly most of the other reviews on here nail it.

Advice to Management

You are living in the 1970's. You claim to be a technology company but you don't act like one. I'm not saying you should have Google like benefits or perks, but at the very least you should not CHARGE your employees to telecommute.

"Hard Work & A Great Company Do Exist"

Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Delmar, MD
    Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Delmar, MD

I have been working at SECURUS Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Securus has great benefits! Mostly good working hours. Associates generally come and stay - good lasting relationships are built. Securus positions are all across the US. Most of the Field Service Postions require travel within a geographical area with flexible hours, however are on call 24/7 unless on vacation. Our customers largely consist of Correctional Facilities, most of which are good people as well once you get to know them. Interaction with inmates does occur as well, but again, most all of the interactions are ok. It is rare there is ever an issue. I have been with Securus for 22 years. I've had as many as 28 Associates working under me at any one given time. I interact with many each given work day. I have no plans of going anywhere else as long as Securus will have me. I absolutely love my job and those 12 that now report directly to me as well as our customers.

Cons

All of the Securus positions are high paced. Lots of work and responsibility. Strive to get it right the first time as it could very well be a safe issue for our customers.

Advice to Management

Associates are always needing more money and added benefits, however, what is provided is OK. I would like to see pay and benefits get to the "Good" status. We are very close now.