SEGA of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 16, 2019

Found 51 reviews

3.1
John Cheng

"It's Sega. A short lived and great experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SEGA of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

We were a small mobile game developer bought out by Sega. We had lots of creative freedom, wore many hats and were appreciated. Sega has one of the best health plans out there. Worked with a great, talented and diverse team. Middle management cared about the employees.

Cons

As the company grew, a few important goals and player focus dwindled. Full company layoff by Sega of Japan because of this. Language barrier in communicating from Sega of America and Sega of Japan which resulted in taking too long to resolve issues.

Advice to Management

Assess projects that aren't failures and only scrap what isn't working; not the whole company. It is a great thing that many team members have a voice and are able to contribute in game design and play ideas; however, there is a time when management needs to make a final decision and keep continuity in a given project.

SEGA of America2016-11-17
  2. "Route Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at SEGA of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom, running route when I want to, money ok not great. Get paid contract amount to drive my car, reimbursement for fuel, vacation health benefits a portion is paid by company.

Cons

Use my own car, always loaded up with toys. Can't take vacation over black out days of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Have to try to fix machines when they break down, if possible. Collect money from stores.

Advice to Management

Raises every now and then would be good.

SEGA of America2016-10-25
  3. "Lead Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SEGA of America for more than 3 years

Pros

Low pressure, comfortable and generally friendly environment. Usual perks of working at a tech company.

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen. Continually adding and promoting directors that provide nothing of value. Games needed to be GIANT multimillion dollar hits to be considered viable. Small games, even if they were profitable were canceled.

Advice to Management

Try to invest in a number of small, experimental titles and get those in front of players quickly. Nurture any that show signs of success, instead of investing a year or two in a copycat title before finding out whether people like it.

SEGA of America2016-05-11
  4. "SEGA"

I worked at SEGA of America

Pros

Good company and great people to work with.

Cons

Office in SF closed. Moved to southern CA.

SEGA of America2016-04-07
  5. "Relocated to Southern California..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SEGA of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I had the privilege of working with the most talented group of people while I was with their San Francisco office.

Cons

Unfortunately (to me), they closed the San Francisco operation, and relocated to Southern California. I hope their business will do well there.

Advice to Management

There were communication gaps between Tokyo HQ and the US operation. Japanese management should listen more to the local management.

SEGA of America2016-03-01

"Great people ruined by committee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SEGA of America

Pros

The people you bring in know their stuff. Let them do what you hired them to do!

Cons

Every decision must go through multiple layers of bureacracy, and each layer kills something valuable. By the end of the process, you've wasted 9 months deciding whether to include the logo on your icons.

Advice to Management

DO, do not hem and haw. Risks are how you advance. Being overly conservative and safe is anything but. The missed opportunities are growing and you're running out of time to make yourself into something relevant again. You're routinely 1-2 years behind the curve because of all the extra evaluation and the wait-and-see approach to success in the market.

SEGA of America2016-03-11
    • "Squandered potential"

I worked at SEGA of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people were some of the best I have ever worked with. This helped detract from the often glum office realities. Got to work with great IP.

Cons

There were layoffs almost every year. Strange strategic decisions that led to reduced opportunities to produce more titles.

Advice to Management

Got to spend money to make money, sometimes.

SEGA of America2016-02-01
    • "Senior Producer"

Former Employee - Senior Producer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SEGA of America for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and atmosphere. Enjoyed working there.

Cons

Challenging working with the Sega Europe and Sega Japan teams.

SEGA of America2015-12-20
      • "Terrific people, bad planning and execution"

I worked at SEGA of America full-time

Pros

Everybody was fun to work with and we had a marvelous sense of community. This was true at all levels in the company.

Cons

The games we made were poor and did not live up to our intended quality standards. There were many missed chances to cancel projects, and we also backed down to our developers in too many cases. There was also little to no accountability or post-mortems to try to avoid similar mistakes in future titles.

Advice to Management

Well, now that everybody has been laid off, it's time to rebuild. Good luck with that!

SEGA of America2015-12-07

"Great People"

Current Employee - Assistant QA Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SEGA of America

Pros

You will learn a lot People that have come from SEGA QA have gone on to do much better things in the the industry Great co workers Fun place to get into the games industry

Cons

QA is ostracized from the rest of the company Low pay Long hours Job security is especially lacking

Advice to Management

QA is something that should be on the same level as other departments. QA should be on even ground with production

SEGA of America2015-10-15